The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Would taking both English Literature and English Language be too much? I'm also taking History and Theatre Studies. Would these be good options to pick in terms of getting a place at uni? (I'm not sure what I want to do there yet.) Also, if I got an A in English Lit at GCSE would I still be able to get an A* at A level if I put in the work? Thanks! :smile:
racaha
Would taking both English Literature and English Language be too much? I'm also taking History and Theatre Studies. Would these be good options to pick in terms of getting a place at uni? (I'm not sure what I want to do there yet.) Also, if I got an A in English Lit at GCSE would I still be able to get an A* at A level if I put in the work? Thanks! :smile:

I think Lit and Lang would be good,but alot of essays!
It depends if you're looking at the top unis,some places look down on Theatre Studies,but if you go for an arts-related course it won't matter.
As for the A*,I'm not sure. D: It's alot of hard work,but if you stick at it you never know. Good luck!
Reply 1122
VickyDoodle
I think Lit and Lang would be good,but alot of essays!
It depends if you're looking at the top unis,some places look down on Theatre Studies,but if you go for an arts-related course it won't matter.
As for the A*,I'm not sure. D: It's alot of hard work,but if you stick at it you never know. Good luck!

Thank you! I love drama too much to drop it, so lets just hope the unis won't mind! :yep:

Yeah, I would like to aim for the highest because that way I'll always do my best but I feel like I should play to my strengths, and I did better in other subjects than lit, but I do enjoy reading! :woo:
Sice I got no reply before...

Looking to apply for either Literature or Medicine at University (not sure which yet).

Got 8A*, 2A, 1C and a U at GCSE :P

Will these subjects keep these options open?

- English Literature
- History
- Biology
- Chemistry

Any suggestions?
Reply 1124
Gilsenan

Looking to apply for either Literature or Medicine at University (not sure which yet).

- English Literature
- History
- Biology
- Chemistry

Any suggestions?

Yeah, those are pretty much the perfect choices for you.

All four are very highly respected courses. Obviously if you want to do medicine then you will drop either English Lit or History after the first year, or if you want to do Literature you drop Biology or Chemistry.
Reply 1125
racaha

No problem with those choices, however you are limiting your options slightly.

Obviously you enjoy the type of courses which would be available to you anyway though, so no problem. It just means, you can't exactly go for medicine at University as you are taking all "Arts" subjects.
Gilsenan

- English Literature
- History
- Biology
- Chemistry

Any suggestions?

Yup, they're just fine. :yy:
Reply 1127
i-am-sam
Im trying to decide what to chose for my A Levels......., I want to do physics at university.

Im planning on doing maths physics, chemistry, and........ further maths maybe, economics maybe, not sure.

But i dont think i would enjoy or be good at economics, and further maths i think might be too hard? Based on what people have said.

how good is it to have further maths if wanting to do physics?
i dont really think i would enjoy or be good at economics
And im not sure how good id be at the further maths:confused:

I know i got an A*, but i was in a really low set last year, the teacher was convinced that i should have been there, recently apologised, after m getting an A*

i dont know! i cant decide! is there any other subjects i could do?!?!! HELP!! :confused: :s-smilie:

thanks! :biggrin:

Hey, I was looking at doing physics this time last year before I changed my mind so hopefully I can help!

As far as I could tell, if you did maths, physics, chemistry & further maths then you were fine for pretty much all unis, so economics wouldn't really be needed.

Universities do prefer you to have further maths for physics, for example Warwick give you a grade lower offer if you have further maths, and they're one of the top physics departments in the country!

If you don't do further maths then you can still get into a lot of good places, but it will be of benefit if you do further maths, especially as it means you'll have a lot easier first year as you'll have already covered some of the maths content!

My school didn't offer further maths so I couldn't do it but I understand if you're worried about doing so much maths, especially as physics contains a lot of maths too. Maybe start with economics and further maths and drop one after a couple weeks depending on your preference? If you're really serious about doing physics at uni though then further maths is recommended.

PM if you have any more questions.
Reply 1128
Accalia
I was wondering if anyone who has taken Biology or Physics at AS could help me -- did you enjoy them? Are the modules interesting? Anything at all you have to say about them, I'm interested.

Oh, and do you think my current choices are OK? They're English Lit, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I'm interested in Pharmacy at the moment, but it might change to something else science-related.

Hey, physics, chemistry biology and english lit would be great choices for pharmacy as you're covering the essay writing + the science subjects, so great choices, all very respected subjects.

I did physics but I did a bit of an odd course, it was OCR B which seemed to me more like applied physics, so it had a bit less maths content, either way I really enjoyed physics, but be warned there is a lot of maths in it!
Reply 1129
i want to go in a medecin or a dentistry career so are these Alevel choices ok for it
biology,chemistry,maths,computing<--- im not sure about computing yet its either this or psychology.which one should i pick?
Ikra.xox
i want to go in a medecin or a dentistry career so are these Alevel choices ok for it
biology,chemistry,maths,computing<--- im not sure about computing yet its either this or psychology.which one should i pick?

Either is fine.
Reply 1131
Gawge
No problem with those choices, however you are limiting your options slightly.

Obviously you enjoy the type of courses which would be available to you anyway though, so no problem. It just means, you can't exactly go for medicine at University as you are taking all "Arts" subjects.

But wouldn't I have to pick like all sciences to do that? I know what you mean, as I do feel like I'm limiting my options picking what I'm picking...
I'm hoping to do either Economics or PPE(hopefully Oxford) at uni but don't know what to put down as my AS subjects.
I've already put down Maths, Further Maths, Economics and RS down as my subjects but am not sure if it would be better for me if I change RS to another subject such as German. I got 9A*s and 1A(getting it remarked). Will it be better for me to drop RS?
Ive gotten:

Biology
History
ICT
Phsycology

for A levels, my other option is to replace Phsycology with sociology but I'm not sure, are those four ok? Im not sure what I want to do in Uni yet
Reply 1134
So i want to do Psychology and Criminal Behaviour, or a psychology based criminology course at uni, how do these subjects sound?

Psychology
Sociology
Philosophy and Ethics
Law.

Ideas?
I dont know the exact career path i want to follow. Maybe something to within "sport" but still being able to keep my options open...

i was thinking of doing.

P.E - (For sport) Included CSLA course aswell

French - (i enjoy it and could open other doors..)

Applied Science (would this link with P.E the course is about 70% biology and i cant do a pure science as i didnt get a B in math so this would be my only science option.)

And either...

History or English Lit.

Help please !! :smile:
Josh-H
Hey, physics, chemistry biology and english lit would be great choices for pharmacy as you're covering the essay writing + the science subjects, so great choices, all very respected subjects.

I did physics but I did a bit of an odd course, it was OCR B which seemed to me more like applied physics, so it had a bit less maths content, either way I really enjoyed physics, but be warned there is a lot of maths in it!

Thank you for replying :biggrin:
Hopefully I'll survive the maths and not regret my choice.
Hey guys, I'm a bit stuck for which AS level to choose. I'm in my second year of college at the moment but I want to drop Further Maths (decided it's too hard for me to cope and I should have never taken it...) but this leaves me with just 3 A levels and no AS level, and I do want one AS level.

Is Photography or Art worth doing? As throughout the year last year I kept saying to myself, "I should have taken Art instead of Further Maths" but they've recently introduced AS Photography for this year (2010-2011) and photography is a passion of mine. But I hear it's not as respectable as Art? Both involve a lot of coursework meaning a very heavy workload, but I already have some form of portfolio for photography and have a fair bit of knowledge already so this may lessen my workload in the first term slightly perhaps?

If I did end up taking an Art subject, how beneficial would it be? Would it help expand my opportunities or just bring me down?

Another AS subject I could take is Accounting which is sort of related to Maths I suppose? I'm not too sure what it's about though, has anyone else here taken it?

At the moment I'm looking into taking an Acoustics degree which needs Maths, Physics and Music. Which I am already taking. If I took an Art subject as well then it would open up many other degree courses to me if for some reason I change my mind, which seems to be happening a lot lately. However if I took Accounting then it could maybe strengthen my chances of getting into Acoustics because it boosts my Maths skills? I don't know.

Is there anybody that could possibly give me some advice?
Please and thank you~
Im about to go into A2 with chem bio phys and history, yes theyre fine as youre doing 3 sciences and are hoping to study pharmacy i assume you enjoy science. I really enjoyed my as year. If you work hard you will do well and it helps if you enjoy them. Physics for me was brilliant, it was very chellenging as i was the only person in my class not to take maths yet i got a high A and came joint top over everyone who took maths, i think that was because my teacher was awesome ( laid back ) and was easily persuaded to stay behind an go over topics close to exam times. Biology on the other hand was less fun I loved learning about the human body, mollecular and cell biology but found that anything related to plants was extremely tedious and required alot of concentration, i still managed a high A as i battled through it, i found that because my friends did similar subjects that on free periods we were able to use an empty science room to collectively revise thus making revising boring topics somewhat interesting. I recomend background reading as it will give you an insight into a topic before you learn it in class, i bought the collins guide to biology and found t invaluable. Best of luck with science
CrystalNeko
Hey guys, I'm a bit stuck for which AS level to choose. I'm in my second year of college at the moment but I want to drop Further Maths (decided it's too hard for me to cope and I should have never taken it...) but this leaves me with just 3 A levels and no AS level, and I do want one AS level.

Is Photography or Art worth doing? As throughout the year last year I kept saying to myself, "I should have taken Art instead of Further Maths" but they've recently introduced AS Photography for this year (2010-2011) and photography is a passion of mine. But I hear it's not as respectable as Art? Both involve a lot of coursework meaning a very heavy workload, but I already have some form of portfolio for photography and have a fair bit of knowledge already so this may lessen my workload in the first term slightly perhaps?

If I did end up taking an Art subject, how beneficial would it be? Would it help expand my opportunities or just bring me down?

Another AS subject I could take is Accounting which is sort of related to Maths I suppose? I'm not too sure what it's about though, has anyone else here taken it?

At the moment I'm looking into taking an Acoustics degree which needs Maths, Physics and Music. Which I am already taking. If I took an Art subject as well then it would open up many other degree courses to me if for some reason I change my mind, which seems to be happening a lot lately. However if I took Accounting then it could maybe strengthen my chances of getting into Acoustics because it boosts my Maths skills? I don't know.

Is there anybody that could possibly give me some advice?
Please and thank you~

Accounting isn't very respected (at all) so if you were thinking of doing it to boost your application - don't.
If you think you'd enjoy it then sure go for it.
But if you think you'd enjoy art/photography more, then do that :smile:

Latest