The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
lfcjamie
Are maths, further maths, biology and chemistry good alevels to do in combination, say if I wanted to do a degree in Computer science?

If you meet the requirements of the unis that you're interested in applying to then they are fine. However, i would say that physics would be of more use than biology so i'd probably switch it to that unless you have a reason to take biology.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/computing/entryrequirements

So you need A* in maths and A in further maths plus another A in another subject for Imperial computing. So you don't need physics but it would tie in well woth computing and maths better than biology.
Reply 1181
isaksson123isaac
I want to go to Oxbridge and I'm struggling to choose my four A-Levels-
I was thinking Sociology, History, Politics, and economics/philosophy/english lang.
Can someone give me a set of four subjects they would recommend? Also, do Cambridge not like sociology? Thanks

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Sociology is bad. History is fine. Politics is average. Economics is fine. Philosophy is fine. English Language is bad.

I would say History, Politics, Economics and Philosophy. 3 universally respected subjects and 1 up and coming subject.
Reply 1182
dreams.and.hats
Hi! I really want to go to Cambridge for their PPS course, and I'm thinking of doing History, Maths, English Language, and Sociology - are the last two considered too 'soft' for Cambridge, and should I switch from English Language to Literature, or perhaps drop Sociology and take up Physics instead? (I really wanted to do Physics too, originally.) Or is it okay just to have two 'traditional' A-levels in History and Maths?

Thank you :smile:

Hmm, as PPS does include sociology i don't think it's a too bad A level to take; obviously they would prefer physics and a PS full of passion for sociology rather than a sociology A level. I would definitely swap english language for english literature though. Language is soft and doesn't relate specifically to your degree choice whereas literature is more respected. It is ok to have two traditional A levels but i do think that it would improve your application to have more respected subjects and at this level the little things in your application may make more of a difference.
orca92
If you meet the requirements of the unis that you're interested in applying to then they are fine. However, i would say that physics would be of more use than biology so i'd probably switch it to that unless you have a reason to take biology.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/computing/entryrequirements

So you need A* in maths and A in further maths plus another A in another subject for Imperial computing. So you don't need physics but it would tie in well woth computing and maths better than biology.

Thanks amigo, I'm taking biology to keep my options open in another area I'm interested in, just incase I change my mind about what I want to do in uni :smile:
Reply 1184
Helloooo...

right i know i am jumping straight in here and i joined this website purely because i felt this community could guide me on my A level choices.

So, i got fairly decent grades at GCSE: 1 A* 5As 4Bs and a C

i know im doing English Lit and i have chosen Psychology and Philosophy as they fit with the timetable and i have been told will suit me well, however i would really love to be doing English, Philosophy, History and Drama but this DOES NOT FIT WITH THE TIMETABLE! a fact that has caused me much frustration over the summer! So for the first 2 weeks i am doing alternate history and drama lessons in order to help me decide but i am really unsure as i enjoy both of them hugely. Its a pre-u history course which would go great for university applications and i am very interested in the subject but drama just has this energy about it that i really love and i would hate to go without.

i have no idea what i want to do after a-level, uni i assume as its the usual path and im leaning towards a journalistic course or something to do with writing...

i can give more info if anyones bothering to read this but i would greatly appreciate help/guidance/past experiences of someone as im so frustrated with my options! Cheers in advance... :smile:
Reply 1185
Banoobie
Helloooo...

right i know i am jumping straight in here and i joined this website purely because i felt this community could guide me on my A level choices.

i know im doing English Lit and i have chosen Psychology and Philosophy as they fit with the timetable and i have been told will suit me well, however i would really love to be doing English, Philosophy, History and Drama but this DOES NOT FIT WITH THE TIMETABLE! a fact that has caused me much frustration over the summer! So for the first 2 weeks i am doing alternate history and drama lessons in order to help me decide but i am really unsure as i enjoy both of them hugely. Its a pre-u history course which would go great for university applications and i am very interested in the subject but drama just has this energy about it that i really love and i would hate to go without.

i have no idea what i want to do after a-level, uni i assume as its the usual path and im leaning towards a journalistic course or something to do with writing...

i can give more info if anyones bothering to read this but i would greatly appreciate help/guidance/past experiences of someone as im so frustrated with my options! Cheers in advance... :smile:

History is more respected than Drama; although drama is becoming more respected with time. You also have psychology which is 'soft' so this may put you off taking drama as it would give you 2 'soft' A levels. Perhaps when you say that you enjoy each equally, how respected the A level is may be the deciding factor in which you choose.

Reply 1186
Banoobie
Helloooo...

You're probably tired of hearing this, but could you do drama locally as an extra-curricular? If you enjoy drama for the fun of it you'll probably get more out of joining a drama group :smile: a history qualification on the other hand will probably get you further academically, so you'd get the best of both worlds
Reply 1187
Critical thinking is a question mark for me at the moment. Teachers have said that its beneficial for me since i want to do Medicine in Uni. But then again teachers can be biased and have heard people say that its not worth it because it is extremely difficult and that you might as well do extra curricular activities instead. With the critical thinkin, i have no free periods and maybe the 2 extra that i will get without the topic may benefit me since i do use up after school for sports alot.

So what do you think? Drop or carry on?

If it helps, then this year im doin A2 maths, biology, chemistry and psychology and gcse results were 11A*s

Thanks
Hi

For my GCSEs, I got the following results:

Maths - A*
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A* (full UMS marks!!!)
French - A*
Spanish - A*
Chinese - A* (only non-native pupil to take the exam - i was so proud of this result!!!)
Drama - A
Geography - A*

During years 10 and 11, I also took Maths A level, gaining the coveted A* grade - I got 90 UMS or over in every module except M1 in which i got 89 UMS and just scraped the A* with 90 UMS in C4. All with no retakes :smile:

For my A levels, I have decided to do: French, Spanish, Physics and Chemistry (not because they're traditional "hard" subjects but beacuse they are the ones which I enjoy the most). I will only do Chemistry up to AS and then join the Further Maths class in year 13 (as I've already done the year 12 course which is the whole Maths A level in 1 year). I will probably drop French in year 13 although I have not decided yet and may continue with all 4 subjects (although I find this unlikely).

Please note, we do A2 further maths at my school, not just AS.

This will hopefully leave me with A Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Spanish, French (possibly or AS at least) and an AS in Chemistry. We are also required at my school to sit the General Studies exam for AS, which will give me another AS but I don't really want to do the exam and will see if I can opt out.

My school also offers what it calls "enrichment courses" on the side of A levels. One of these is Italian GCSE, which I have decided to study over the next 2 years to gain an extra GCSE.

Given that I've been predicted the following grades for my sixth form options, what would you recommend I study at university:

Further Maths - not given an offical prediction yet but should be an A
Physics - A
French - A
Spanish - A
Chemistry - A
Italian GCSE - A*

All these predictions are for AS (except Italian GCSE) and I believe I could get at least one more A* at A2 in addition to my Maths A2.

In addition to all above, I am also doing an hour a week of Chinese at my school. I wanted to do the AS level but the school would not fund the class as I was the only person interested but I am still hoping to improve my Mandarin as I find it very interesting and the school is allowing me to do an hour a week during one of my free periods.

With all this, what course could I do at university??

I'm very interested in Maths and possibly Economics as I am very interested in how money works but this is not offered at A level at my school - would this be a disadvantage?

I would also be very interested in studying "exotic" languages: Arabic, Russian, Chinese, Japanese

And, of course, I would love to study at a prestigious university (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick) :smile:

What would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance, Connor
Reply 1189
I'm currently taking maths, economics, pyhsics , chemistry. I plan to study economics at uni, however currently the chemistry I'm studying is quite confusing. The class for chemistry is rather lame and the teachers don't seem to help. WOuld it be wise to change to Furthe Maths or French(studyed As level during Yr 11, took exam early) or should I continue with Chemistry.

If feel i can do well in the other 3 a levels since i have already started in advance(GCSE economics, Additional Maths) but i feel chemistry will hinder my progress as i do not seem to enjoy it.
Reply 1190
conzag123
Hi

For my GCSEs, I got the following results:

Maths - A*
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A* (full UMS marks!!!)
French - A*
Spanish - A*
Chinese - A* (only non-native pupil to take the exam - i was so proud of this result!!!)
Drama - A
Geography - A*

During years 10 and 11, I also took Maths A level, gaining the coveted A* grade - I got 90 UMS or over in every module except M1 in which i got 89 UMS and just scraped the A* with 90 UMS in C4. All with no retakes :smile:

For my A levels, I have decided to do: French, Spanish, Physics and Chemistry (not because they're traditional "hard" subjects but beacuse they are the ones which I enjoy the most). I will only do Chemistry up to AS and then join the Further Maths class in year 13 (as I've already done the year 12 course which is the whole Maths A level in 1 year). I will probably drop French in year 13 although I have not decided yet and may continue with all 4 subjects (although I find this unlikely).

Please note, we do A2 further maths at my school, not just AS.

This will hopefully leave me with A Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Spanish, French (possibly or AS at least) and an AS in Chemistry. We are also required at my school to sit the General Studies exam for AS, which will give me another AS but I don't really want to do the exam and will see if I can opt out.

My school also offers what it calls "enrichment courses" on the side of A levels. One of these is Italian GCSE, which I have decided to study over the next 2 years to gain an extra GCSE.

Given that I've been predicted the following grades for my sixth form options, what would you recommend I study at university:

Further Maths - not given an offical prediction yet but should be an A
Physics - A
French - A
Spanish - A
Chemistry - A
Italian GCSE - A*

All these predictions are for AS (except Italian GCSE) and I believe I could get at least one more A* at A2 in addition to my Maths A2.

In addition to all above, I am also doing an hour a week of Chinese at my school. I wanted to do the AS level but the school would not fund the class as I was the only person interested but I am still hoping to improve my Mandarin as I find it very interesting and the school is allowing me to do an hour a week during one of my free periods.

With all this, what course could I do at university??

I'm very interested in Maths and possibly Economics as I am very interested in how money works but this is not offered at A level at my school - would this be a disadvantage?

I would also be very interested in studying "exotic" languages: Arabic, Russian, Chinese, Japanese

And, of course, I would love to study at a prestigious university (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick) :smile:

What would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance, Connor

I can't really tell you what you want to study at university; but to me it seems that you're more focused towards languages or a maths based course.

If you applied for economics then i'm fairly confident that you would be able to get into one of the top 5 unis; LSE, UCL and Warwick should be the easiest for you and if you applied to all 3 you should get at least one offer from one of the 3. Cambridge and Oxford are more of a lottery. For maths you would have to be thinking about taking STEP and/or AEA to get into the COWI universities (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial). If you're interested in taking a maths degree then maybe look at the content of STEP and AEA; however, it is bloody hard. Girl at my school got 100% in maths A level, something like 95% in further maths then failed spectacularly at STEP and missed her Cambridge maths offer; so it's not easy.

Really you just need to decide where your interests are and which you would prefer to study; but you seem set on the top universities in the courses you're interested in.
Reply 1191
smoky188
I'm currently taking maths, economics, pyhsics , chemistry. I plan to study economics at uni, however currently the chemistry I'm studying is quite confusing. The class for chemistry is rather lame and the teachers don't seem to help. WOuld it be wise to change to Furthe Maths or French(studyed As level during Yr 11, took exam early) or should I continue with Chemistry.

If feel i can do well in the other 3 a levels since i have already started in advance(GCSE economics, Additional Maths) but i feel chemistry will hinder my progress as i do not seem to enjoy it.

If you will have 3 full A levels in maths, physics and economics, then an AS level in further maths will be more beneficial to you than a 4th A2 in chemistry. If you want to aim for the top 5 or top 11 economics unis then not having further maths to at least AS can be a fair disadvantage. Also, having it will advantage you when applying to the lower unis outside the top 11.
Damn my sixth form its so strict >.<
Reply 1193
Thank you for the reply orca. My dad tells me that further maths will only count as one a level instead of two along with maths unless i take maths at uni is this true? Also how do you rate chemistry difficulty compared to it.
Hey!

I am really keen on doing vet medicine in university, and I am definitely doing Biology and Chemistry. However, I am also choosing between maths or physics my third one a level.

Does anyone have any experience with the maths or physics a level course and could you tell me the difficulty level/which one I should choose? (:

I'm been predicted an A in maths for GCSE and A for physics.

OR, should I take both? As I'm a bit worried it might be too much work.

Thanks!
itsjordan
Hey!

I am really keen on doing vet medicine in university, and I am definitely doing Biology and Chemistry. However, I am also choosing between maths or physics my third one a level.

Does anyone have any experience with the maths or physics a level course and could you tell me the difficulty level/which one I should choose? (:

I'm been predicted an A in maths for GCSE and A for physics.

OR, should I take both? As I'm a bit worried it might be too much work.

Thanks!

I haven't done either but my sister is in the same position as you and I have a lot of friends studying maths and/or physics. From what they say, studying maths without physics is fine, however studying physics without maths can get pretty difficult. Obviously it's possible but you will need a good grasp of maths (which it sounds like you have from your prediction). Taking both might be difficult, with vet medicine it's important to get good grades as you must know, and since these are all very difficult subjects you need to be sure you can handle them. On the other hand generally people who take 4+ a-levels generally have a good work ethic and tend to do well, and if you're really focused on getting onto a course it should help. I hope that helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
IllnessIllusion
I haven't done either but my sister is in the same position as you and I have a lot of friends studying maths and/or physics. From what they say, studying maths without physics is fine, however studying physics without maths can get pretty difficult. Obviously it's possible but you will need a good grasp of maths (which it sounds like you have from your prediction). Taking both might be difficult, with vet medicine it's important to get good grades as you must know, and since these are all very difficult subjects you need to be sure you can handle them. On the other hand generally people who take 4+ a-levels generally have a good work ethic and tend to do well, and if you're really focused on getting onto a course it should help. I hope that helps.

Thaanks! That helped a lot! I've heard physics is really hard, so I might just take maths and choose another 'easier' subject...
Does you sister want to become a vet too?
I just want to focus on getting AAB/AAA which will be hard so I think I'll focus on three at A2 level. Although, I'm not sure how good/bad I'll be when I have to start the a level course for these subjects :confused:
itsjordan
Thaanks! That helped a lot! I've heard physics is really hard, so I might just take maths and choose another 'easier' subject...
Does you sister want to become a vet too?
I just want to focus on getting AAB/AAA which will be hard so I think I'll focus on three at A2 level. Although, I'm not sure how good/bad I'll be when I have to start the a level course for these subjects :confused:

Yeah she does, she's in year 11 at the moment which I assume is the same as you? Be careful about an 'easier' fourth subject(I assume that's what you mean); make sure it's something you can get a good grade in (e.g. I have a friend who took philosophy as an 'easy' subject and while she enjoys it she has realised that because of the way it is marked it can be difficult to do well or to improve) because of how competitive veterinary courses are. Thinking about it a little more, as you'll need to get a lot of work experience as well, only taking 3 subjects at A2 will help free up more time for that. Good luck!
IllnessIllusion
Yeah she does, she's in year 11 at the moment which I assume is the same as you? Be careful about an 'easier' fourth subject(I assume that's what you mean); make sure it's something you can get a good grade in (e.g. I have a friend who took philosophy as an 'easy' subject and while she enjoys it she has realised that because of the way it is marked it can be difficult to do well or to improve) because of how competitive veterinary courses are. Thinking about it a little more, as you'll need to get a lot of work experience as well, only taking 3 subjects at A2 will help free up more time for that. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm in Year 11! Good luck to her! Does she know what uni's she wants to go too?

Yeah, i'm only taking three subjects at A2, I'm going to a animal hospital and a kennel tomorrow to volunteer (:
I live in holland and can't speak much dutch so it's a bit of a problem :/
but hopefully i'll get one of them atleast!

I just need to think of my fourth AS subject.
hello :smile: i didn't realise this thread was here so i just created a thread about what i'm about to say but never mind :smile:
does anyone have any advice for me: i want to do zoology at uni, but am not sure what A levels to take (im in year 11 now). obviously biology, but do i need chemistry? i don't really like it, but am worried if i don't take it i won't be looked at?
and is there anything else?
thank you :smile:

Latest