The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

abc246
Fair enough, I see your point.

And on that subject, it might be useful to e-mail universities you are thinking you might like to go to. I did, and asked whether they prefer any particular subjects over others, and they replied saying that you had to have a certain subject and then one of... and they gave a list of subjects, but none were more 'important' than the others. If that makes sense. Basically what I'm saying is, if you feel wary about any subjects, just e-mail them and ask what they think about it, if they would prefer it over another one etc.

Yeh that's a good idea. Though I think what the OP says she's decided on (chem,bio,psych,eng lit) should be fine for all medschools except cambridge. Still, it can't hurt for her to check with particular universities she is considering.
Reply 121
No leave business studies..Everyone needs a subject that doesn't require too much focus (i.e. what some would regard as a 'doss' subject)..I took bio, chem and business. I hated business but it was worth it because i found the other two really difficult ....
*Miss A*
No leave business studies..Everyone needs a subject that doesn't require too much focus (i.e. what some would regard as a 'doss' subject)..I took bio, chem and business. I hated business but it was worth it because i found the other two really difficult ....

I did maths, which for me didn't require much focus. :s-smilie:

You can't assume everyone will find business easy. The OP is better doing a more respected subject, provided she can get an A in it.

(I'm not saying the OP should do maths lol, that was an example)
Reply 123
*Miss A*

Not if you're applying for medicine... it's somewhat competitive I hear :wink:
Reply 124
hello, im in the same position as you =)
i put down for my a-levels: biology, chemistry, psychology, english lit/lang combined
think im going to continiue with my choices after reading this thread as i wasnt sure whether to take them or not

start in september - good luck!
Hi there,

I've started sixth form college 2 weeks ago, and I need to decide by next Friday whether I am changing any subjects.

Currently, I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology, English and Art
AS. However, after thinking a bit about it I realized doing 5 AS with Art as one of them may be a bit stressful (considering I found the coursework quite time-consuming during GCSEs ! Also eng lit has coursework too).

I am considering changing Art to French as I really want to keep up the language! However, I am undecided about my career - up till recently I was pretty set on architecture until I realized it has unreliable pay and a 7 year degree, so right now I'm very undecided. I'm trying to keep options open for Medicine/sciences and Law as well or anything else, hence the Bio, Chem and Eng Lit. I don't want to close off the architecture route completely, and regret it later, which is why I kinda want to keep art. To cut a long story short, I have 2 options =]:

1) I could keep Art as an AS choice, and do French AS out of school at a private centre near my house (they have weekly lessons after school). I'm just worried that having art with an extra 6th AS level out of school might get a bit too much.

OR
2) Change art to French, and do saturday classes at a local art school. These aren't like AS levels, you just do e.g. portraiture for a term so you can build up a portfolio over time. If anyone knows which universities accept applicants for architecture without Art or Physics A levels, that would be very useful as most seem to recommend it.

The last option is keeping art and doing an asset course in school. However this would probably take up all of my frees, and i'm not sure if its examined. In short, I'm not sure whether an art AS/A level would be worth the stress/detraction from other subjects if I don't even end up going into architecture!

Also any advice from anyone who's done a French/Art A -level or was similarly undecided about careers would be appreciated.
My friends doing French say it is the most time consuming subject in terms of time, but they're not doing art so I don't know hot it compares! Thanks in advance :smile:
if it helps, my original choices were history, german, philosophy and art. there was a timetable clash so i chose french over art. it was the best decision i ever made... you can continue art in different ways but will you ever go back to french?

i think option 2 sounds viable. if you want to do architecture however, art could be more relevant. it is a huge work load though and i know many people who have so much art coursework it affects their other grades
Reply 127
hi,

what a-levels do i need to do dentistry in UNI
Reply 128
Biology and Chemistry are most important, I think. The other two it doesn't really matter as long as it's not GS or something like Science in the Environment or whatever it is:p:
Reply 129
thanks
Media, Photography, Art and philosophy&ethics.

Maybe...
Reply 131
???????
Maths, Biology, chemistry and whatever you want as a fourth.
^^^^
Reply 134
cheers
Reply 135
if u already do biology & chemistry at A2 will a uni prefer you if your third subj at A2 is maths or something else (im doing geography)
Reply 136
Is A level Law bad for when applying to universities although i don't intend to study Law?

Questions more than less likely will now be asked as to why i have opted to do A level Law, main reason being; in comparison to my other subjects it seems relatively easy and is also something i enjoy, after all is that not what A levels are all about?

replies appreciated
Reply 137
I chose Art over French and really regret it..
I am currently in year 11 and struggling to decide on which subjects to pick for next year. I am predicted 12 A*s at GCSE and hope to go to Oxbridge to study English Literature or possibly PPE. I am struggling to decide upon which subjects to take though. I am definitely taking:

English Literature (definitely)
History (definitely)

And then I can't decide between:

Chemistry
Spanish
French
Maths
Drama

I think that a language is always good and prefer Spanish but the teaching. However, the teaching standard of Spanish in my school is not very good and the French department has far better teachers so I am unsure. I enjoy Chemistry greatly and think having a science will be a nice contrast to my arts subjects. I am good at Maths but don't know whether it would be better to take Chemistry or Maths. Finally, I absolutely love Drama and scored full marks on all my practicals for GCSE. However, I think it may be frowned upon by the top universities and know they think of it as a 'soft' option.

What do you guys recommend I do? Do you think I should take four or five and which subjects? Thanks in advance!
I'm no Oxbridge expert, but I'd say French/Spanish and Maths (possibly Chemistry if you were going to do 5) would give you the most rounded base, if that makes sense.

If you're predicted 12 A*s, then I'd say you're more than capable of doing 5 AS-levels.

Good Luck! :h:

Latest