The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I would say that you could apply for science/maths jobs quite early on and be ready to explain (and prove) how you are competent in these areas (degree etc) that way if you get rejected, you can ask for feedback to see what it is which is holding you back - or if you can't do the rejection thing, ring the school beforehand and ask them if they'd even consider you before applying!

You could mention at interview that you'd be willing to do extra-curricular activities in science related stuff and sort of brown-nose your way into the Science Dept so if something comes up you're aware of it and the school is aware of your abilities in a first hand kind of way!

As for subject knowledge and extra courses - I would strongly recommend you do not do them in your NQT year as your NQT year will be stressful enough as it is without adding to it - do it the year after if you should so wish!

All the best
Reply 2
You could discuss it with your course tutor and try asking for the opportunity to get a bit of experience teaching maths and/or science during your PGCE placements, if those departments don't already have a student.

My PGCE is in Citizenship, and I've also taught History, Geography, RE and PSHE this year - obviously this is a bit different as they're all Humanities subjects. Maths and English are very different conceptually, so your skills might not match up, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible for you to gain a second subject though, particularly at KS3.

Latest

Trending

Trending