The Student Room Group

Trouble with hands?

Hi guys,

I submitted my application for DSA and I was wondering how long it generally takes to get looked at and what happens after?

I'm being assessed by my LEA as I'm going into my third year now and can't find much information on it as all the recent literature is about SFE assessments.

Also (even if I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as I don't know whether I'll be given anything) does anyone else have trouble gripping a pen? I have arthritis in my hands, making it virtually impossible sometimes! I'm fine with typing usually but I do a subject that requires drawing sometimes (http://we-learn-horizon.com/CONFCHEM2006/Images/clip_image001.jpg) as an example.. so sometimes a computer isn't practical unless I get and become proficient in the kind of software shown in the image. What sort of support do they suggest?

Sorry if this is long and rambling! I have a multitude of other questions but that's enough for now :o:
Reply 1
I know you said you're OK with typing usually, but you still might be able to get text to speech software which can reduce the amount you need to write and type. It's more accurate than it used to be.

For lectures you can record them or have a note taker.

Hopefully someone who does have similar problems will be able to suggest a work around when it comes to drawing. I'll try and have a think myself but I must stress that I don't have athritis. Although I do techincally have problems with using a pen/pencil due to dyspraxia but my course doesn't require drawing.
not sure on the drawing aspect as im not doing that as part of my course but ive just had my finalised report sent to SFE to be approved for funding for my 1st year .. i got recommended a laptop to use recommended Dragon software on (which is speech 2 text software) and also a dictaphone to take into lectures to record them on as ive got Raynauds in both my hands and have attacks constantly so sometimes typing and holding/gripping a pen/pencil is extremely difficult at times as i have no feeling sensation in them

maybe someone thats had a report for similar is out there.

i know my finalised report has only taken from assessment to being sent to SFE 2 weeks turnaround but how long it takes SFE now to approve is another matter.
Reply 3
jojospacemunky
not sure on the drawing aspect as im not doing that as part of my course but ive just had my finalised report sent to SFE to be approved for funding for my 1st year .. i got recommended a laptop to use recommended Dragon software on (which is speech 2 text software) and also a dictaphone to take into lectures to record them on as ive got Raynauds in both my hands and have attacks constantly so sometimes typing and holding/gripping a pen/pencil is extremely difficult at times as i have no feeling sensation in them

maybe someone thats had a report for similar is out there.

i know my finalised report has only taken from assessment to being sent to SFE 2 weeks turnaround but how long it takes SFE now to approve is another matter.

I have Raynaud's as a secondary condition to SLE (Lupus) so I definitely know how you feel with the no sensation thing :smile:. I also have Hypermobility syndrome, so yes, someone somewhere really wanted me to have problems with my joints!!

In my assessment box I just put connective tissue disease, but I'm hopeful that they'll read through the consultant letter which states both Raynaud's and hypermobility as I think it's fairly obvious that my hands are causing trouble.

In terms of exams, do you get any extra support? Just in one of my exams I had to stop writing because my hands hurt and it lost valuable time. I got extenuating circumstances for the whole year as I was undiagnosed and ill for about half the year, but according to my department tutor it's not very significant unless you're close to a boundary.

River85
I know you said you're OK with typing usually, but you still might be able to get text to speech software which can reduce the amount you need to write and type. It's more accurate than it used to be.

For lectures you can record them or have a note taker.

Hopefully someone who does have similar problems will be able to suggest a work around when it comes to drawing. I'll try and have a think myself but I must stress that I don't have athritis. Although I do techincally have problems with using a pen/pencil due to dyspraxia but my course doesn't require drawing.

Yeah typing is usually okay unless I'm really tired or I've had a hard day and then my fingers ache. I think a dictaphone would be useful as you've suggested because my joint pain is usually worse in the mornings when I wake up and unfortunately for me my lectures are 9ams!

Thanks for answering all the questions guys :smile:
Couldxbe
I have Raynaud's as a secondary condition to SLE (Lupus) so I definitely know how you feel with the no sensation thing :smile:. I also have Hypermobility syndrome, so yes, someone somewhere really wanted me to have problems with my joints!!

In my assessment box I just put connective tissue disease, but I'm hopeful that they'll read through the consultant letter which states both Raynaud's and hypermobility as I think it's fairly obvious that my hands are causing trouble.

In terms of exams, do you get any extra support? Just in one of my exams I had to stop writing because my hands hurt and it lost valuable time. I got extenuating circumstances for the whole year as I was undiagnosed and ill for about half the year, but according to my department tutor it's not very significant unless you're close to a boundary.

Yeah typing is usually okay unless I'm really tired or I've had a hard day and then my fingers ache. I think a dictaphone would be useful as you've suggested because my joint pain is usually worse in the mornings when I wake up and unfortunately for me my lectures are 9ams!

Thanks for answering all the questions guys :smile:

Exams this is what i have been recommended -- sat where possible near a heated source ie radiator as room temperatures are not controllable, not be placed near a window or AC. To have a 10min break per hr of my exam (where necessary) and to leave the room -- have allocated 15 mins extra time on each hour of exams and if my raynauds is too severe to continue with the exam then my resit is requested to be allowed as a first attempt. (where possible)

its my raynauds more than my OCD and Bi-polar that will affect my studies more so ive concentrated on that aspect of my funding more though my report mentions both of these in there

no problem on answers any advice is sound advice in my mind :smile:
Reply 5
i use an elastic band to help with my rubbish grip of a pen.
Reply 6
eden
i use an elastic band to help with my rubbish grip of a pen.

I'm not really sure that an elastic band would help me because it's too painful sometimes to actually hold a pen :frown:
Reply 7
I have arthritis in my wrist which means moving it is painful and sometimes my fingers swell up and I can't grip. I applied to DSA and they gave me Dragon which I'm currently using to write this post! It's fantastic. I also got a different mouse and a mouse mat with a built-in wrist support which means that when I use my mouse I don't actually move my wrist or arm at all.

I also have a dictaphone and I can use Dragon to transcribe things that I have recorded into typed notes. it works best to think that I've said, though, because Dragging gets used to your own voice. But it means that if I don't feel like sitting at my computer I can still be "typing".
Reply 8
Juno
because Dragging gets used to your own voice.

Voice recognition software has really improved in recent years and I know this is one feature of them.

I'm considering buying myself a new voice recorder. Dragon comes free with it. I don't have any problems with typing, it's more for using during lectures and tutorials, but I fear it won't "recognise" the voice of other people as well.

OP, things like dictapones and Dragon will help when it comes to lectures and typing. Hopefully your assessor will be able to suggest something that wil help with drawing.

It might be the case that drawing software is recommended and the training you'll need will be paid for through the DSA. I know it can take some time to become proificient though :frown:
Reply 9
River85
Voice recognition software has really improved in recent years and I know this is one feature of them.

I'm considering buying myself a new voice recorder. Dragon comes free with it. I don't have any problems with typing, it's more for using during lectures and tutorials, but I fear it won't "recognise" the voice of other people as well.

OP, things like dictapones and Dragon will help when it comes to lectures and typing. Hopefully your assessor will be able to suggest something that wil help with drawing.

It might be the case that drawing software is recommended and the training you'll need will be paid for through the DSA. I know it can take some time to become proificient though :frown:

Something weird happened - thought I'd ask here since this is my thread :p:. I just got sent the long form of the DSA form.. I'm not sure why, there wasn't a letter with it. When I rang the lady said someone must have sent it by accident, but I get quite anxious easily :p:. If there was something wrong in my application they would write a letter, wouldn't they?
Reply 10
River85

A lot of it depends on the quality of the recording as well. If you're in a lecture theatre there might be background noise that means Dragon won't be able to hear things clearly.
Reply 11
Couldxbe
I'm not really sure that an elastic band would help me because it's too painful sometimes to actually hold a pen :frown:

ah i see. maybe not then. the elastic band goes round my hand and round my pen - hard to describe i guess, but it hold the pen in the right position for me, so that i dont have to grip it tightly.
Reply 12
I use big easy-grip pens for when I absolutely have to write by hand - although I can only write a few words. In lectures etc I type, and use a dictaphone for backup in case I can't type quickly enough. I've had notetakers in some lectures which is helpful for copying down diagrams etc. (I have EDS and the joints in my hands dislocate if I write.)

Latest