The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
All the examiner wants to see if you are a safe and confident driver. Thats the only way to think of it. I passed first time, 3 minors, 16 lessons.

Also, if you have an instructor you don't like, get a new one?
If you're not earning enough, get some overtime?

You get bored of driving like a nutter after a while, I've actually got no holy **** handle above the passenger side door any more from where a mate ripped it off in fear.
Reply 21
Well i failed first time
....wait for it on one thing
........Going to wide around a corner , thats it
....everthing else was perfect(well for someone on a test , )
... no minors any where else just on the reverse around the corner
If there are anythings that are concerning you ask your instructor to go over it again and again.At the end of the day you are paying them to teach you.

My first driving instructor only let me drive around an housing estate at 20mph and not going any further than 2nd gear!
My second one didn't turn up
My third one is amazing , got dropped in at the deep end and drove straight away
My friend passed on his 7th test if that makes you feel better. Anyway find a test centre with higher pass rate and find out all the possible test routes. Then Google streetview. :wink:
I lost count of how many times one of my friends failed. I think it was 7/8 times. When he told me he'd passed, i didn't actually believe him. Don't worry - everyone passes eventually.

(Now is not the time to add i haven't passed - but i've only tried once and failed when i drove so close to the left, i nearly took out someone's wing mirror :smile:)
Panorama
Sounds like me - I've failed 4 times and the last time the examiner actually said I was a very good driver and should retake at the first opportunity!!

SNAP!
Reply 25
BigV
Basically you failed because you are not safe to be on the roads. I mean how difficult can it really be?

I had 3 formal lessons with an instructor and lots of practice in my parents car. I passed first time even after managing to take a wrong turn on the test (examiner gave a vague instruction). As long as you are safe they pass you, your not safe so you failed.... get over it.

Haha fail. I passed without even an instructor. Lern2drive
tribalplanet333
Im absolutely sick to the back teeth of driving with an examiner or an instructor, i cant wait to drive on my own.
Ah, same! I've been learning to drive since pretty much my 17th birthday (6th January, 2009) and still haven't passed! I've taken my test twice now. My brother and dad both passed first time, my mum passed second time so it's all very embarrassing! Also, I HATE my driving instructor. He makes my blood boil. :mad:

So, you're not alone!
Reply 27
Cross_Your_Fingers
SNAP!

Passed at the fifth attempt:smile:

Don't give up!!
Seriously, don't give up! I passed 5th time and I could've passed first time, I just kept making mistakes that I probably wouldn't've done in lessons (mostly to do with awareness/priority in hindsight), and in my 4th I was a complete wreck. 5th test I was lucky with the route and actually got more total errors than in my first 3 tests (got 8 minors). That was 3 weeks ago, I got my own car last Monday and have been driving to and from work, on the motorway on my own, all this week. You sound like a competent driver, so you WILL get there next time!
Reply 29
These days some of the things they fail you on our stupid!
The test should be altered how can you show that you are a good and safe driver, just becasue you don't show it in the test doesn't mean that you aren't a safe driver its nerves on the day!!!
Reply 30
I feel your pain, believe me. I just failed my fifth test, this time with only two minors and one major fault: I turned right into a super narrow street without looking far enough up the road and failed to see that a car was coming my way. Though he was quite far away and so there was no danger, he had to back up to let me through. So I got a serious docked for judgement. This despite an absolutely smooth test where I felt amazingly good and confident, for the first time!

This is the third test I've failed with only one major and very few minors. Seems like a cosmic joke, and I almost want to laugh. I'm starting to feel like they make this test virtually impossible to pass, given all the things that come up on the road in a place like where I live (Oxford). There are tiny streets that they've made two-way streets when they should REALLY be one-way streets, cyclists all over the place, monstrous and confusing roundabouts, the works. I really don't understand how any hormone-addled teenager would be able to pass this test, yet they do, every single day. Starting to feel like I always do ONE thing to screw it all up. I'm gutted because I'm heading home for Christmas (Los Angeles-- I'm from California) and you HAVE to drive there to get around. I never did-- left the US when I was 18 for college-- and never got my license. So upset that, against all expectations, I'm going to have to be driven around again by my family and friends, when I'd confidently said I should have my license by now. I NEVER imagined it would be this difficult to pass a driving test. I know I'm a good driver. I also know there's no point in whining about the test being too hard, but sheesh, can't they give people a break sometimes? I did nothing dangerous (the road was clear when I entered it-- the car coming my way was quite far away and it just happened to be one of those impossibly tight streets. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I'm considering going up to Fort William or Mallaig, Scotland to take the test, in bucolic peace. :-) Cows and horses are surely no more difficult to contend with than irresponsible cyclists weaving through traffic.

Original post by tribalplanet333
Im absolutely sick to the back teeth of driving with an examiner or an instructor, i cant wait to drive on my own.

Ive been obsessed with cars since i was six,
and to be 18 and not have passed, feels like ive wasted a year of driving.

Im a girl which i find is a big struggle in most cases of driving tests, as we girls over assess and think about things to much!!!

I only earn £45 a week plus and extra £30 of EMA.
Ive failed my tests 4 times!!!!

Heres how i managed to fluff up, and put myself in a lower state of depression!!

20th jan this year ! Passed my theory 100%!!! Every question and hazard right!

When i was 17 i had a driving instructor for 6months that would shout at me, and be quite abusive, and for me the whole driving thing to click, it never did. I just couldnt understand observations roundabouts etc. So i quit with her, left it 6months had a new instructor on my 18th birthday.

The penny of driving had dropped after once playing need for speed carbon, i just realised how much i wanted it!

So new instructor, i got rid of after three lessons because all he did was talk, and i was ready to rev the hind legs out of engines and drive past chavs in a saxo with my heavy metal music! So i turn heads!

Eventually third time lucky found the driving instructor i have now.

First test, one serious. There was a junction with a balade island cone thing seperating the lanes, and just before the end of the give way lane, there was road works and a sign telling me to go to the right hand lane , so thats what i did! I noticed a small gap behind the workmans van, and didnt think the car would fit in that gap inbetween van and give way lines. So i croseed the junction right lane to the left (going straight on), theres was no bugger there so there wasnt an accident!

2nd test
I had a lot of minors for driving too close to parked cars, and the instructor said she wanted to really pass me, but after three mistakes of closeness i was failed.

(During this test, i remember thinking, hmm on coming cars and parked cars on my left, plently of room...But to be on the safe side ill go into the left a smidgin.)

3rd.
Stop junction, was clear coming up to the giveway line, and i braked but no an abrasive stop so the car is jolted forwards. I honestly thought i had stoped, because i wasnt moving anywhere but meh.

4th test
Was later on today!
The hour before the torture of driving exam conditions, i went a certain way following roundabouts, where one has a two lanes, left lane for turning into tesco and the right for going staight on and right. This rounabout i always forget which lane is which direction, and on the roundabout just before the bastard island ofroundness. I was asked to turn right, conscious of not fluffing up the next roundabout, i went in the right hand lane, but then went straight on (as i was READY for the oncoming roundabout) and i had made a ****** landrover stop and he flashed at me. (Personally i thought this was good, landrovers are bad cars to the environment, farting out toxic gases more than other cars, so by stopping the mean machine in its tracks for a few seconds, i was saving the world.

But nerrrr. That was a fail.

Im quite stubborn and think out of the box, and this shows in my driving.

Tips for others..Act how you would on a lesson, and if it doesnt happen, theres endless attempts, just save up =)

My excuse for all my mates recently passing, (they are think iv passed, on my second test), i dont have money for a car and im taking passplus to lower my insurance, hence why my instructor turns up weekly.

One day i'll own a subaru Impreza, Zonda F. And be the first celebrity women to beat the leader board of topgear.

All the best to learners, youll make it one day!

Dani Dixon <--- Facebook or youtube me im quite musical sounding.

Booo-yah!:yep:
Reply 31
so this is from a year ago but i feel the pain of failing the test now. im one of those strange people that never get stressed about exams or stuff like that- i generally schedule in a 'melt-down' every exam season in which i cry hysterically for a bit then chill so im generally pretty calm about everything.
that was the problem, didn't even feel like i was actually taking a test i was too relaxed and drove into the cycle lane, failing seconds after id nailed the parallel park. ughghghg.
im determined to pass but kind of want to hurt my friends with their '#firsttimer's' thang going on.
This is from nearly 4 years ago.
Deleted
Reply 34
Original post by Camoxide
This is from nearly 4 years ago.

yeah but last post was a year ago
Hi guys
Im jus so frustrated failed my fourth test nd i didnt think i deserved to fail. I had two minor faults nd the major fault was the last 2mins of the test
I did my observation correctly at roundabout nd saw it was clear nd then moved off but this red car jus came out of nowhere but i didnt affect his drivin but still that failed me
Been doin this for 1nd a half yrs, jus so tired coz so much money keep gettin wasted😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 praying 5th time is a charm🙏🙏
Original post by Demi Jongwe
Hi guys
Im jus so frustrated failed my fourth test nd i didnt think i deserved to fail. I had two minor faults nd the major fault was the last 2mins of the test
I did my observation correctly at roundabout nd saw it was clear nd then moved off but this red car jus came out of nowhere but i didnt affect his drivin but still that failed me
Been doin this for 1nd a half yrs, jus so tired coz so much money keep gettin wasted😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 praying 5th time is a charm🙏🙏

Keep going, you will pass eventually even though it may seem impossible now.

I took 10 tests over a two year period. Wasted a lot of money, and I think nerves just got the better of me as in my 10th test, I'd convinced myself that I'd failed 10 minutes into the test due to a mistake I thought I'd made. I spent the rest of the test just trying to finish ASAP so I could go home. Was shocked when the examiner said I'd passed at the end. The mistake I thought I'd made at the start didn't even get a minor! Been driving for about 2 years now and it's great. Keep it up and don't give up!
Hi there Don't worry. This is my 7th time and still no pass. Going for my 8th soon. However I have done my test in 3 different places. Ie. Due to moving when I was in uni and moving back home. The only thing I can say is that examiners are mostly looking for a confident and safe driver. And as well they like someone's who checks tgeir mirrors. However driving tests really are dues to 'luck'. On all my tests what I make a mistake on always changes. First it was moving too near parked cars. 2nd she just didn't like me. 3rd going around roundabout when signal went off and forgot to switch it back on. 4th no idea. The instructer didn't like me. 5th turning left too fast. 6th not checking mirror. 7th going over with speed. Anyhow .. 3 of the tests had the same examiner and the other 3 same. Just think it's wrong when they put you with same examer as you are most likely up be nervous anyway because of the test. So don't know why they do that !
I passed on my 5th time - don't worry!
I know this has been resurrected but I suppose if anyone is searching they might find some of our stories comforting if they're struggling!

I had 5 failed tests and yesterday I passed my 6th test with two minors! I was over the moon, he had to tell me twice and I have had to keep checking my certificate and making sure its mine, as I pathetically can't quite believe its mine! For me it took a lot practice to become consistent, and a lot of work to get up to a good standard but it was worth it! I made stupid mistakes on test and it does get a touch soul destroying after hearing them say you've failed five times but its so worth it.

Latest