The Student Room Group

Honda NSR 125 -Learner Legal???

Hey there TSR

Its been a while since I posted as was getting life in order lol.. Now that it is, I am looking to start living on the edge a bit (lol) so will be looking to go into motorcycling soon..

I am off to do my cbt soon, with the hope that when I am 21 I can then move on to the direct access...

However, I understand that, being over the age of 17, I would then be able to drive a motorcycle of 125 cc, at 14.6 bhp

After doing some research, I grew fond of the Honda NSR, and see that its BHP can reach up to 30... Now this is surprising as I have seen a few with L plates, and even some advertised as learner legal (???)

So yeah, I am a bit confused.. and would rather understand more about this than go off and spend up to £1200 on a bike I wont be allowed to drive...

So, can I infact drive a Honda NSR 125 with simply a cbt?

Thanks for responses guys x
yes you can ride a 125cc bike on L plates and a CBT.
motorsportUK
yes you can ride a 125cc bike on L plates and a CBT.

A learner motorcycle has an engine up to 125 cc and a power output not exceeding 11 kW

So not all 125cc's qualify.

the666thmessiah
I am off to do my cbt soon, with the hope that when I am 21 I can then move on to the direct access...

However, I understand that, being over the age of 17, I would then be able to drive a motorcycle of 125 cc, at 14.6 bhp

After doing some research, I grew fond of the Honda NSR, and see that its BHP can reach up to 30... Now this is surprising as I have seen a few with L plates, and even some advertised as learner legal (???)

So, can I infact drive a Honda NSR 125 with simply a cbt?

Thanks for responses guys x

Why not do your CBT then full test, so you are limited to 33bhp. Far more fun.

If you do your CBT you can ride a 125cc, limited to 14.6bhp, with L plates, not take pillions or go on the motorway.

Some of the Honda NSR 125's may be fitted with restrictors to limit the bhp down, making them legal, to check the person may have a certificate (not a legal requirement) or proof like a dyno or a receipt just stating that the works been done.

Either ask for proof, or contact a garage and ask if they can restrict it, or do an intensive course and get a 33bhp bike :biggrin:
Bathwiggle
A learner motorcycle has an engine up to 125 cc and a power output not exceeding 11 kW

So not all 125cc's qualify.

Why not do your CBT then full test, so you are limited to 33bhp. Far more fun.

If you do your CBT you can ride a 125cc, limited to 14.6bhp, with L plates, not take pillions or go on the motorway.

Some of the Honda NSR 125's may be fitted with restrictors to limit the bhp down, making them legal, to check the person may have a certificate (not a legal requirement) or proof like a dyno or a receipt just stating that the works been done.

Either ask for proof, or contact a garage and ask if they can restrict it, or do an intensive course and get a 33bhp bike :biggrin:

Technically you are correct but I know people with Aprillia RS's running about 33 BHP. The chances of vosa pulling you over and checking the power output on a rolling road are one in a million.
motorsportUK
Technically you are correct but I know people with Aprillia RS's running about 33 BHP. The chances of vosa pulling you over and checking the power output on a rolling road are one in a million.

I'm on a couple of other forums where police have decided to check by dynoing the bikes to determine if the person is on the right power output. Most recently was a 33bhp bike being challenged, but it does happen. Plus invalidating insurance. Is it worth it?

Dealers do sell the aprillas restricted so they are learner legal.
Ok thanks alot guys, so whats the fastest way to get onto a 125cc 33BHP motorcycle then?

thanks again
Do an intensive course. You do your theory first, then do your CBT, module 1 and module 2 test close together.

This will enable you to ride any sized cc bike, so long as its restricted to 33bhp, which can be carried out by a garage.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25579899&postcount=3
NSR is probably the better bike in comparison to the RS. honda reliability vs aprillia, no question!
Reply 8
Original post by the666thmessiah
Ok thanks alot guys, so whats the fastest way to get onto a 125cc 33BHP motorcycle then?

thanks again

you gotta be 19 years old... do a CBT then do an Intermediate access course (A2) and you can not only ride 33bhp bikes but also engines up to 350cc

Quick Reply