The Student Room Group

teeth fillings - do you have an anesthetic ?

Poll

do you need an anesthetic??

I'm a bit weird - I'm fine with arm injections - but dental injections..... I cry and shake - and won't open my mouth - I'm just terrified - don't know why!

So today I asked my dentist to do my two fillings with out an anesthetic, - which she did - and it was fine - I read somewhere that women are far more likely to opt for fillings without anesthetic.

is this true - do you need an anesthetic???

Scroll to see replies

I would guess it depends on how deep they're drilling!
Reply 2
Yes please. Only had one though. Don't really see the advantage of unnecessary discomfort! Plus, the feeling is pretty cool :biggrin:
I think dental injections are a cool feeling.
digitalis
Yes please. Only had one though. Don't really see the advantage of unnecessary discomfort! Plus, the feeling is pretty cool :biggrin:

Yeah, I think I remember the first time - I got a bit worried because of the sheer size of the syringe/contraption, but it hurt less than most regular arm injections :p: And yeah, the feeling is, somewhat weird lol - especially afterwards!
I had 7 done at once with no painkillers when I was in year 5. It was horrible I just cried and cried, and my mum tried to cheer me up with a milkshake... it didnt work.
Reply 6
Haha, this is weird this came up today! Went today to have a check up, and ended up having a filling! I would say that you could bare the pain for the, what, half hour, but I would just have the injection. I did not even feel it go in and im terrified of needles! Burning your mouth on hot food is 1000x worse, honestly!
Reply 7
Afrotortina
and my mum tried to cheer me up with a milkshake... it didnt work.

Ouch! Post filling as well!!

I remember when I was a kid and inhaled an ice cube and was choking, my dad panicked and got me a coke! Bless him...
the needle going into your gum feels worse than the actual filling and stuff imo, i just nip the back of my hand to like refocus the pain, into something i can control
No I don't even have it for root canal filings.

'cos I iz 'ard :wink:
Reply 10
This thread is cringeworthy, I hate it when they drill into your teeth. I'll take the anaesthetic please.
digitalis
Ouch! Post filling as well!!

I remember when I was a kid and inhaled an ice cube and was choking, my dad panicked and got me a coke! Bless him...

Bless parents eh? Did the coke work? When /i was 4 or something I was really sick and my dad kept giving me lemon squash and then I threw up over him.. I was a lovely kid :P
Reply 12
I've had it with and without, I prefer it without tbh
This is particularly coincidental as I had a root canal today... ugh..

Anyway, for teeny tiny fillings I wouldn't, but larger ones I definetely would. I hate arm injections with a passion and find them really painful but don't find gum injections remotely painful.
Afrotortina
Bless parents eh? Did the coke work? When /i was 4 or something I was really sick and my dad kept giving me lemon squash and then I threw up over him.. I was a lovely kid :P

No it didn't, I had actually inhaled that badboy and ended up just filling my mouth with coke. The bloody pool barman was sitting, chilling, filling the glass with ice, putting a cutesy umbrella in it and **** as I was slowly turning blue infront of him! LOL
Reply 15
Yep, well I did anyway, sometimes several, if the first one doesn't work, which has happened on one occasion.
Reply 16
I didn't get an anesthetic. Have had three teeth filled.

Honestly, the drilling doesn't hurt at all. All you get is this tickling feeling.
Reply 17
aura1947
Honestly, the drilling doesn't hurt at all. All you get is this tickling feeling.

I beg to differ - I don't think there are any words to describe the amount of pain I felt when my dentist started drilling into one of my teeth. It's one of the most unpleasant health-related things (with a few exceptions) I think I've ever experienced, unless yours just weren't very deep, or you have a high pain threshold or something.
Reply 18
MoonGazer
I beg to differ - I don't think there are any words to describe the amount of pain I felt when my dentist started drilling into one of my teeth. It's one of the most unpleasant health-related things (with a few exceptions) I think I've ever experienced, unless yours just weren't very deep, or you have a high pain threshold or something.

Haha, I don't know. I mean, I was pretty much expecting the worst...but in the end it didn't hurt at all. Meh.

lol Once I got my head smashed against the wall, the resulting injury required me to get a stitch. The doctor was like, would you like to get an anesthetic first or do you want me to stitch it just like that? I didn't want to get an anesthetic because I didn't want to get hurt with a needle twice. lol I was so dumb. xD
Reply 19
I had 3 fillings done all at once, and one was pretty deep. Yes, me likey anesthetic! However, I have a crippling fear of needles so after he injected me I went into shock and it was another 10 mins before I was ready for the fillings :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest