The Student Room Group

teeth fillings - do you have an anesthetic ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
First time I had a filling my dentist just injected me without saying anything. He's done the same thing the other 3 times as well, and I'm not going to object. Fillings hurt even with anaesthetic, so I'd rather that than none. Seems silly to me to suffer intense pain if you can bypass it.
I had a large deep filling done that took the dentist three quarters of an hour, the tooth was in poor shape thanks to my old dentist messing up her treatment,. I could not imagine having no anesthetic for that. The normal injection they gave didn't work and I got shot many times with what looked like a giant staple gun. It hurt like hell and I just can't imagine the pain of the actual filling without it.

There are some fillings you don't need locals for though, if they are very shallow ones.I've had one where I didn't need anything.
Reply 42
counterstrike
Never got offered anesthetic, neither did my 7 year old brother :s-smilie:

Are you on NHS? Sometimes they don't offer anesthetic. My dad asked for an x-ray a couple of weeks back (he's had pain in one of his teeth for months and nothing they've done has helped) and they just refused to do it. Private may be expensive but it does have its benefits
I've had about 4 fillings, then 2 which had to fill up the gaps the first dentist didn't fill (don't ask) .. for the first 3 I didn't have any anesthetic, was really proud of myself because I have 3 older brothers and they all need anesthetic :P but for the other 1 and the 2 gap fillers I've had anesthetic! I hate it when the needle goes in, feels like it goes on forever!
Depends on the size of the cavity.

/Thread.
Reply 45
Disconfigured
I've had about 4 fillings, then 2 which had to fill up the gaps the first dentist didn't fill (don't ask) .. for the first 3 I didn't have any anesthetic, was really proud of myself because I have 3 older brothers and they all need anesthetic :P but for the other 1 and the 2 gap fillers I've had anesthetic! I hate it when the needle goes in, feels like it goes on forever!

thats what I hate - the length of the injection - not to mention the big metal syringe that my dentist uses..............
campy
Are you on NHS? Sometimes they don't offer anesthetic. My dad asked for an x-ray a couple of weeks back (he's had pain in one of his teeth for months and nothing they've done has helped) and they just refused to do it. Private may be expensive but it does have its benefits

No, we aren't on the NHS
Reply 47
counterstrike
No, we aren't on the NHS

How odd. I guess they just decided they were too small for you to need anesthetic
Reply 48
I had a filling a few years back and because I was so terrified to have a needle in my mouth I opted not to have it and omg I’m so glad I didn’t because it didn’t hurt at all! Going back today to have a slightly cracked tooth filled and again I’m opting for no needles haha
Original post by Sdenny
I had a filling a few years back and because I was so terrified to have a needle in my mouth I opted not to have it and omg I’m so glad I didn’t because it didn’t hurt at all! Going back today to have a slightly cracked tooth filled and again I’m opting for no needles haha

Stop bumping old threads 😩
Ooo how was the root canal treatment . I think I will need it too and I'm so scared of needles!! How was it?

Quick Reply

Latest