The Student Room Group

Masters in ID/IR or Human Rights with a 2:2 law degree?

Hi Guys,

Basically I recently got my results and I achieved a high 2:2 in law, (57) from Newcastle University...I do have mitigating circumstances, (there was a bereavement in the family)

I've decided that a traditional legal career is not for me and that I want to embark on career in international development/Human rights/International relations..I have considered other similar areas such as Conflict studies ect. As a result I would want to do a masters in this area but I am afraid that my 2:2 will be a stumbling block if I want to apply to Universities like Warwick, Sussex, SOAS ect.

My Tutors have said that they will support me in my application, pointing to the fact that in my Public international law module I achieved a 67,(72 in the exam) and in Human rights a 62, along with a 2 other 2:1s and quite a few 2:1's in my other exams and essays. But is that enough? And should I start doing more work experience in developing countries, i am planning to go to Gambia in the easter but are there other organisations I can work with to help me out?

Thanks!
You wouldnt get into SOAS with that...
Reply 2
Ok so what places do you think are within my grasp?
Many postgrad courses will stipulate a 2:1 requirement, but you may be able to get around this if you have mitigating circs & a good application, with references, experience etc. It may be worth getting in touch with the admissions people at some of the universities and asking if they'll consider a 2:2 application.

Latest

Trending

Trending