The Student Room Group

GCSE's a problem?

Hey there I'm looking to apply to politics at unis such as York , Sheffield , UEA, Lancaster and one other pending results. However my GCSE grades are far from amazing with aabbbbccc and a first diploma in business studies worth 2 a*. Will these grades damage my application to prestigious institutions such as York and possibly Warwick depending on the results I get at AS (Im expecting AABb).

Thanks in advance
Apostrophe's are more of a problem.
Reply 2
Back to the point please
Fragment: Consider revising
Reply 4
rugbygreg
Hey there I'm looking to apply to politics at unis such as York , Sheffield , UEA, Lancaster and one other pending results. However my GCSE grades are far from amazing with aabbbbccc and a first diploma in business studies worth 2 a*. Will these grades damage my application to prestigious institutions such as York and possibly Warwick depending on the results I get at AS (Im expecting AABb).

Thanks in advance

Who are you kidding? I can't stand this 'diploma' nonsense. I considerably doubt it is actually worth 2a*s. You would have been better off getting just one a* in an actual GCSE.

Well they're certainly not going to help. Can't you find out if they're is a minimum GCSE requirement? Some Uni's require an A is maths or english. Sheffield seem to let anyone in these days. I'd go there.
But anyway GCSEs are only one part of the application. Make sure all other aspects are fine and you probably have a chance.
Reply 5
lovely_me
Who are you kidding? I can't stand this 'diploma' nonsense. I considerably doubt it is actually worth 2a*s. You would have been better off getting just one a* in an actual GCSE.

Well they're certainly not going to help. Can't you find out if they're is a minimum GCSE requirement? Some Uni's require an A is maths or english. Sheffield seem to let anyone in these days. I'd go there.
But anyway GCSEs are only one part of the application. Make sure all other aspects are fine and you probably have a chance.

We were forced to do the diploma and those are the grades that they said were equivalent too, I fully understand how easy they are and personally I don't respect them as a qualification and I did it! On all the courses they want a minimum of a B in English and Maths, therefore I meet those requirements. Hopefully with some good grades and a strong personal statement ( and D of E and as the managing director of a young enterprise company ) I should have a reasonable chance.

What do you think?
rugbygreg
those are the grades that they said were equivalent too

Are you trying to provoke me?
Reply 7
Great Lord Xenu

Nope the comment wasn't even directed towards, don't shoot the messenger that was the information I was given and not my own personal interpretation on the qualification.
Reply 8
Great Lord Xenu

Rofl, this guy is hilarious.
They shouldn't do if you have a strong enough application - good PS and AS results/ALevel predictions.

Obviously we can never be certain, but GCSEs are only one part of the picture.
Reply 10
rugbygreg

Thanks in advance

I have similar grades to you, and I hope to apply to some of those universities. Providing other areas of your application are strong I don't see the worry.
Reply 11
rugbygreg
We were forced to do the diploma and those are the grades that they said were equivalent too, I fully understand how easy they are and personally I don't respect them as a qualification and I did it! On all the courses they want a minimum of a B in English and Maths, therefore I meet those requirements. Hopefully with some good grades and a strong personal statement ( and D of E and as the managing director of a young enterprise company ) I should have a reasonable chance.

What do you think?

Are you sure about that? I'd understand them wanting a minimum of a B in English, but Maths? I thought they only wanted a C or above...
Reply 12
toasteh
Are you sure about that? I'd understand them wanting a minimum of a B in English, but Maths? I thought they only wanted a C or above...

No I checked after that and it's c grades, btw what A levels are you doing, what grades do you want and what Uni's are you looking at ?
Reply 13
rugbygreg
No I checked after that and it's c grades, btw what A levels are you doing, what grades do you want and what Uni's are you looking at ?

English Lit., History, R.E. and Art AS. Hopefully A* AAa, but I'm getting somewhat doubtful that's possible. I'm applying to 4 top 30/40 unis and one 'safe' option - but a lot of my choices really depend on my AS results.
Reply 14
toasteh
English Lit., History, R.E. and Art AS. Hopefully A* AAa, but I'm getting somewhat doubtful that's possible. I'm applying to 4 top 30/40 unis and one 'safe' option - but a lot of my choices really depend on my AS results.

Yeah agreed I need a safe option but alot of the choices comes down to the AS results hopefully should get AAB (dropped an AS 2 months in ). Then do another AS next year and get AABb hopefully.

Good luck and keep me posted with how your applications going (message me or something).

Enjoy your summer
Reply 15
I'm going to give you a serious answer from someone who's actually at uni...

For the most part your predicted A-level grades are more important than your GCSEs. Besides your GCSEs aren't appalling. Just make sure your PS is outstanding and give these unis a reason to want you. Hopefully your reference will show how suitable you are for the subject too.

Do you have at least a B in both Maths and English? Even if some unis don't state these as minimum requirements, it will give you a better chance.

PM me if you have any other questions :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending