The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

candytreeman
:cool: - someone with their head screwed on, at last.

What about the rest of us who can't get a scholarship but are just as promising as any other student?

If the fees go up too much then only the rich and poor smart will get through. All the middle class will suffer and the poor will have no chance to better their job prospects.

Well done another goddamned genius!

You've almost done with your education so unless your a spoilt brat you would rather others not have the chance you did?

(btw i am unable to determine your side so don't take this as aimed at you candytreeman unless you support uncapped fees)
Reply 21
Sounds cool, we can go back to the good old days where only the rich can have good jobs.
The way I see it, if tuition fees are doubled, and the loans are doubled to match, it won't actually make a difference..

A similar idea has been mentioned in past threads; basically, if you come out of uni, £15k in debt, and your friend comes out £30k in debt.. then you both get the same job with the same wage, you'll both be paying the same amount back per month out of your salary.

When you get to the 20 or 25 year point, if for example, you've just paid off your £15k, but your friend still has another £15k to go, it gets written off.. so in the end you will have both paid the same amount..

Obviously there are variables to this and I think, if it takes you 20-25 years to pay off your loan with a % of your salary then your degree might have been a waste of time.. but you get the point I'm trying to make..

Fees increase, loans increase, % you pay back out of your salary stays the same, payback duration cut off point (whatever it's called) stays the same, it really doesn't make any difference, it's just the government that will end up taking the hit by lending out more money each year to students...
Reply 23
We'll either pay more.

or go into prostitution.
Reply 24
cdsmith1990
The way I see it, if tuition fees are doubled, and the loans are doubled to match, it won't actually make a difference..

A similar idea has been mentioned in past threads; basically, if you come out of uni, £15k in debt, and your friend comes out £30k in debt.. then you both get the same job with the same wage, you'll both be paying the same amount back per month out of your salary.

When you get to the 20 or 25 year point, if for example, you've just paid off your £15k, but your friend still has another £15k to go, it gets written off.. so in the end you will have both paid the same amount..

Obviously there are variables to this and I think, if it takes you 20-25 years to pay off your loan with a % of your salary then your degree might have been a waste of time.. but you get the point I'm trying to make..

Fees increase, loans increase, % you pay back out of your salary stays the same, payback duration cut off point (whatever it's called) stays the same, it really doesn't make any difference, it's just the government that will end up taking the hit by lending out more money each year to students...

David Willetts, universities minister, has already said that an increase in loans is a burden on the tax payer, so we can safely say that that idea will be ruled out.
Phantom_X
Im aware they are eligible for scholarships ofc. However, under a free market system, universities can charge what they want. so say an arts degree, now just over 3k a year , rises to 7k. A student from a rich family will be able to pay that as his parents earn a lot and therefore have more money to spend on their child's education. Now, a poor student wouldn't, BUT if univeristies offer scholarships similar to the US (which are more generous) then they could find that they pay between 3k-nothing at all. However, scholarships are held within a certain band, so lower middle class families, who are more likely to go to uni atm, wont be able to afford the 7k, and have to resort to taking out a private loan OR spend their uni time working 2 jobs as well as studying, thus losing out on extra cirriculars which are needed for grad. jobs

right now, everyone can take out a basic loan, which pays for the essentials. which is fine, as low middle class families can pay for their children's food/clothes etc if need be, or students can take a part time job to pay for these, as everything else is pretty much covered. however, if unis are open to the free market, and higher end unis charge more than lower end unis, then some students, who are bright enough to go to say, Bristol, will either find themselves having to make up the shortfall of living costs, as well as tuition. They may be forced to stay at home, and go to the local university/FE college, like in America, and being forced to playing a game whereby the 'elites' who could afford top unis get the top jobs, whilst those that went to a 'liberal arts uni' (ie. a lower ranked one) will either have to go to grad school or settle for a relatively **** job. This is how it works in america, and im glad that the Obama administration is trying to find a way around this.

Perhaps you should watch the movie 'accepted' to see what im talking about, and furthermore, what the russell group are aspiring to be.

And trust me, universities dont really like home undergrads. They like foriegn students and postgraduates, as they pay $$$$ upfront and are more likely to get the university recognised internationally. No wonder UCL want to charge more to invest in their science department, ever since one of their alumni won a nobel prize.

at the end of the day, Universities are becoming businesses, and it really is upsetting.

That doesn't really answer my question about why you presumably think that scholarships will increase under a free market system.

Although I accept your points about lower middle class families and agree wholeheartedly with the bolded. :smile:
I think it will force people to realise that you can get something decent without a piece of paper showing that you can jump through hoops.

Many of my friends are finding that their degrees are worthless. A lot of them still do bar work, one to several years after they've finished their degree, one still works in a retail shop. I, however, have two interviews lined up, for two different, pretty damn good careers, and I failed my course. And I will get one of those jobs because I'll show I can do the work, whereas Uni focuses more on theory work, which means sweet FA.

I took a software engineering course. Very little of it actually had anything to do with software development. And the little bit that did was either pure theory, or it was using outdated and/or useless methods/software.

My final year project required me to create a piece of software, and write a thesis on it. The software itself was only worth a measly 10% of that module. So I showed off an industry standard piece of software that did everything it was supposed to. One of my friends played around in XNA, and made a little "game" that just dropped blocks wherever was chosen on the screen. He got a higher mark, even though his software did practically nothing, all because the University couldn't give a **** if people can actually make software or not.

I know I'm ranting, but I'm hoping that, through this, some people realise that University is often a joke. People just do it now because it's the done thing - to stay in education as long as possible. Some people do it because of their expectations of the lifestyle - get free money, and get ****-faced practically every night. I went because I thought it would further my career, and that I'd learn valuable information from it. I didn't. And now I'm getting interviews for job offers because I'm self-taught in the stuff that matters.

Also, I have to ask, but what do people expect to get from degrees such as art? They seem pretty damn useless to me. Maybe I'm missing something...
Given how many more obvious cuts there are, I really don't know why this government is desperate to make them in places which should never have them. Forget educating the next generation of people in this country, as long as we retain money in the short term. Good grief. :facepalm2:

Might as well say goodbye to my plans of postgrad. :frown:
Reply 28
Personally I would not have been able to go unless I got a full loan.
Reply 29
Dinendal Leralonde
I think it will force people to realise that you can get something decent without a piece of paper showing that you can jump through hoops.

Many of my friends are finding that their degrees are worthless. A lot of them still do bar work, one to several years after they've finished their degree, one still works in a retail shop. I, however, have two interviews lined up, for two different, pretty damn good careers, and I failed my course. And I will get one of those jobs because I'll show I can do the work, whereas Uni focuses more on theory work, which means sweet FA.

I took a software engineering course. Very little of it actually had anything to do with software development. And the little bit that did was either pure theory, or it was using outdated and/or useless methods/software.

My final year project required me to create a piece of software, and write a thesis on it. The software itself was only worth a measly 10% of that module. So I showed off an industry standard piece of software that did everything it was supposed to. One of my friends played around in XNA, and made a little "game" that just dropped blocks wherever was chosen on the screen. He got a higher mark, even though his software did practically nothing, all because the University couldn't give a **** if people can actually make software or not.

I know I'm ranting, but I'm hoping that, through this, some people realise that University is often a joke. People just do it now because it's the done thing - to stay in education as long as possible. Some people do it because of their expectations of the lifestyle - get free money, and get ****-faced practically every night. I went because I thought it would further my career, and that I'd learn valuable information from it. I didn't. And now I'm getting interviews for job offers because I'm self-taught in the stuff that matters.

Also, I have to ask, but what do people expect to get from degrees such as art? They seem pretty damn useless to me. Maybe I'm missing something...

no one cares how special you think you are.
Reply 30
Phantom_X
Just a thought. If the Browne review comes to the conclusion that tuiton fees must be uncapped to keep the 'standards of universities' strong, and we are faced between 7,000-14000 per year, what will future students plan to do ?

Bugger off to Amsterdam :p:

If I were a future uni student which I'm not (and can't even complaint about my own situation wrt tuition fees as I entered pre-top up fees so paid 1.2k a year.).

Fees of, say, 7k would make me think twice. Even top up fees would have made me think twice had they been introduced a few years earlier. My parents would probably have contributed a little more. But I couldn't see myself as not having a degree. All of the careers that interest me do require a degree (most of them a professional/accredited degree which I still don't have :p: )

Open University might have been a more attractive option followed by a Masters either here or abroad. Or just go abroad in the first place.
Ham22

Hate to say it, but I agree with this - you failed your course because you didn't meet their requirements, not because they didn't 'get you'; whether or not it matters that you failed in a different question.
Reply 32
Dinendal Leralonde

Note:

1) Don't belittle other peoples jobs when you're still at the interview stage. And considering how many people are applying for each job/being interviewed it's hardly a given that you'll get the job.

2) And if I had to pick between an Arts graduate and a person who failed software enginering I know which one I would employ.
Connor132
2) And if I had to pick between an Arts graduate and a person who failed software enginering I know which one I would employ.

Surely that depends on what the job was?
MarinaM
Might as well say goodbye to my plans of postgrad. :frown:

:ditto:

This is what everyone will be saying soon! :frown:

Oh - apart from rich people.
Because that's fair you see :smile:
Reply 35
Smack
Surely that depends on what the job was?

Touche... :yep:
placenta medicae talpae
:ditto:

This is what everyone will be saying soon! :frown:

Oh - apart from rich people.
Because that's fair you see :smile:

Yes, of course. Could never have rich people mixing with plebs for too long. That would be unthinkable! :zomg:
Reply 37
Ham22

agreed
el pollo diablo
I was under the impression that postgrad fees aren't capped anyway - every institution seems to charge differently/however they see fit (hence why I won't be doing postgrad stuff unless I get some serious funding!).

It does suck though :s-smilie:

No, that's true, but if undergrad fees are raised too steeply, saving up to do postgrad will be impossible. Which especially sucks for me, as I have my heart set on becoming a researcher now. :frown:
Reply 39
Then we are going to see a lot more gigolo threads

Latest

Trending

Trending