The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We'll need to borrow MOAR
Reply 41
NaturalDisaster
:mad: Why are our generation having all the bad changes forced on us? Idiots trying to mess up everything...grrrr. Rage. I'd better get down to some serious German learning. Thank God I chose that over History...

It isn't always us.

What about the people who first had to pay after it had been free. I'd be more pissed off if that were me.
Reply 42
Smack
Surely that depends on what the job was?

Well yes, but generally an employer would pick the graduate (everything the same) and it was actually to point out his dimissal of arts students degrees when he failed his own.
Reply 43
If you are a scientist - I would seriously suggest learning german in 6th form and applying to ETH Zurich where fee's are about £1000 a year - if not free.
cambo211
It isn't always us.

What about the people who first had to pay after it had been free. I'd be more pissed off if that were me.

True. I just mean that the previous generation were getting all these great new things and now we're suffering the consequences.
Byllie
If you are a scientist - I would seriously suggest learning german in 6th form and applying to ETH Zurich where fee's are about £1000 a year - if not free.

Oh, German was definitely the way to go then. :biggrin: Phew.
I'm studying at the Open University instead. And working to pay for my modules as I go along. :smile:
Connor132
Well yes, but generally an employer would pick the graduate (everything the same) and it was actually to point out his dimissal of arts students degrees when he failed his own.

Yes, of course an employer would pick the candidate but it still depends on the job. Plenty of jobs out there would take someone who failed a software engineering degree over an arts graduate, i.e. a job based on programming or IT.
el pollo diablo
Ah gotcha. Same here (and I'm an ELQ student too:facepalm:). Don't forget about studentships though! There's still hope :console: And they haven't been uncapped (yet) lol

ELQ? Please enlighten me. :awesome:

Fingers crossed I'll ace my degree to the point some research council will be willing to fund me, but until then, I just better hope they remain uncapped!
Reply 49
Smack
Yes, of course an employer would pick the candidate but it still depends on the job. Plenty of jobs out there would take someone who failed a software engineering degree over an arts graduate, i.e. a job based on programming or IT.

well I wouldnt because all failing a software engineering degree shows is that you fail at doing things like that
Reply 50
If tuition fees are uncapped I'll have nothing better to do than set up camp outside number ten with any other students who want to join me. It'll be great, we can throw bags of **** at cameron.

Typical tory policy though "To keep universitys strong we must only let those with money in and deny poor people further education regardless of their grades"

They'll be out soon enough anyway. When people realise what a horrific mistake they've made.
boba
well I wouldnt because all failing a software engineering degree shows is that you fail at doing things like that

No because typically software engineering at university has very little relevance to software engineering in the real world. That's why the industry is so full of vocationally trained professionals. My dad also failed (dropped out) of his degree and is now an IT consultant. His company is currently making recent graduates redundant whilst keeping the most experienced staff - most of which either have no degree or degrees in something totally irrelevant.
Reply 52
Ham22
looking at unis in europe - the problem with that is that most of the uk does not speak a second language.

basically we're screwed. if they increase fees and then increase loans to match, there is no way most people are going to be able to repay it all. if they don't increase loans to match fees, then there's going to be uproar as many people won't have the option to go as a result.

Loans are written off after 25 years anyway so if someone pays off the bare minimum they are required too and can't pay it off in time it won't matter.
I won't do anything different, I'm already shelving out 10,000 a year.
Reply 54
MarinaM
No, that's true, but if undergrad fees are raised too steeply, saving up to do postgrad will be impossible. Which especially sucks for me, as I have my heart set on becoming a researcher now. :frown:

Surely you will not be earning during your postgrad? Therefore you wouldn't have to pay back your tuition fee loan however much the tuition fees were.
Phantom_X
Just a thought. If the Browne review comes to the conclusion that tuiton fees must be uncapped to keep the 'standards of universities' strong, and we are faced between 7,000-14000 per year, what will future students plan to do ?

obviously not everyone is eligible for scholarships, nor do i think (considering capacity of universities) that scholarships will be given out as much as they are in america.

I think european universities look quite lucrative tbh. Or will people look for jobs straight out of school ?

Personally, if it reduces competition for Oxbridge - I'm all for it. :smile:
Reply 56
ily_em
Loans are written off after 25 years anyway so if someone pays off the bare minimum they are required too and can't pay it off in time it won't matter.

but the point is, where is the debt going if no one is paying it off?
Reply 57
Bang fees up to 9k per year but provide scholarships based on subject popularity, usefulness and academic attainment.
Reply 58
Ham22
but the point is, where is the debt going if no one is paying it off?

Who knows :dontknow:

A lot of people will be able to pay it off though, if they get good jobs after uni. They'll just be paying for longer than they would've done.
Phantom_X
David Willetts, universities minister, has already said that an increase in loans is a burden on the tax payer, so we can safely say that that idea will be ruled out.

If that's true then I guess no one is going to uni. Who has £7000 lying around to pay for university along with all the accommodation and living expenses?! :mad:

Latest

Trending

Trending