The Student Room Group

Oxford/Cambridge Entry With Poor GCSES for Computer Science.

I didn't really bother with my gcses and as a result obtained poor grades. I however did bother my A levels and am Predicted four A's in Biology, Chemistry, ICT and Maths. My GCSE results are;

A* - ICT
B - Maths
B - English Lit
B - Chemistry
B - Biology
C - English Language
C - Geography
U - Physics - (failed to show for the exam due to illness)

I would resit physics if it really improved my chances.

Thanks in advace :smile:
Reply 1
Kerys20
I didn't really bother with my gcses and as a result obtained poor grades. I however did bother my A levels and am Predicted four A's in Biology, Chemistry, ICT and Maths. My GCSE results are;

A* - ICT
B - Maths
B - English Lit
B - Chemistry
B - Biology
C - English Language
C - Geography
U - Physics - (failed to show for the exam due to illness)

I would resit physics if it really improved my chances.

Thanks in advace :smile:

I would say no sorry. People get rejected from Oxford and Cambridge with 11 A* at GCSE.
Reply 2
You don't have to declare your result in physics on your UCAS form because you don't actually have a physics GCSE. You meet the minimum requirements to apply to Oxford (but not to Cambridge because you're not predicted an A*). Since you have five choices on your UCAS form as long as you choose your universities carefully you should be able to apply to Oxford.
Reply 3
Like the guy before me said. You have the opportunity to apply for Oxford, but don't get your hopes up. Saying that, there's always the chance you could get an offer if you have a kickass PS and do good (assuming you get one) at interview.

Five choices. Go for it, don't let people tell you you won't get in, you can only try.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice guys, yeah im know im really on the low chance of getting in but I just want to try just incase if theres a slight hope :smile: . Can someone suggest some other tops uni's that offer Computer Science, that I might have a better chance of getting an offer?
Reply 5
with 4 A's you will get pretty much anywhere apart from oxbridge.
For most subjects at oxbridge you'd need at least 6A*s and 4As. For Computer Science I reckon it's at least 4A*s and 6As. However, that's a generalisation, and you can definitely get in with worse GCSEs if something about you stands out from the crowd!
Reply 7
You can try Imperial - as long as you can realistically achieve 90% in your A2 Maths modules.
Reply 8
hey, i really do understand your situation, and if i was u i would give it a try. i think that everyone else has been a litle hard on you.

Well. i got mostly B's at GCSE with a couple of A and A*, NOT this apparent " at least 6A*s and 4As" and last year i applied for computer science at Pembroke college and i got an offer of A*AA. I did ent htink that i had much of a chance but i just gave it a go just in case and im so glad that i did.

Work hard on your a-levels, try some programming like python or Java and write a good personal statement and i think you have a better chance that you think you do.

Give it a go, it may just be the best decision you ever make (i was for me)

Latest

Trending

Trending