The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Living in St. Ann´s ?!

Hy everybody,

I don´t live in the UK, but I will study in Nottingham for one semester. i was offered an accommodation in St. Ann´s close to Ransom Road ... please tell me what this area is like ... I have heard/read some really bad things.

PLEASE if anybody is living there or knows someone, give a reply and tell me how safe or unsafe it is during day and night time. i would really appreciate that!

Thank you very much ... :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hmm St. Ann's...
ive heard some bad things too.. if i were you, i'd request for a different location.
but im not of the uk and the others can probably help you.
i think there are basic safety precautions you ought to take, dont go out late at night, always have a friend with you etc etc.

still, i wouldnt feel comfortable staying there.. wouldnt mind paying more and living in another type of accomodation...
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I think the name Ransom Road sez it all really... jus joking dont know 2 much bout it except wot i've read etc but then everywhere is potentially a bad area. But the last thing u need is 2 be worrying about ure safety on top of being in a new country.
Reply 3
Quasimodo
Hy everybody,

I don´t live in the UK, but I will study in Nottingham for one semester. i was offered an accommodation in St. Ann´s close to Ransom Road ... please tell me what this area is like ... I have heard/read some really bad things.

PLEASE if anybody is living there or knows someone, give a reply and tell me how safe or unsafe it is during day and night time. i would really appreciate that!

Is it Nottingham or Nottingham Trent University?
Reply 4
NTU ! But i thought this is a question concerning Nottingham and certain areas rather than an university typical question !
Reply 5
Quasimodo
NTU ! But i thought this is a question concerning Nottingham and certain areas rather than an university typical question !

I was just wondering because I don't think UoN owns any accommodation in St Anns.
it doesnt, and for a very good reason ... which im sure the unfortunate Quasimodo will find out :biggrin:
Reply 7
would Ransom Road be better, outskirt of St. Ann.

Is St. Ann just dangerous during night time or any time ?
Reply 8
Avoid avoid avoid avoid.

I avoid it at all times of day, even when in my car.
defo night time, gangs are all over the shop day time probably almost as bad!!
Reply 10
Dont live there, just had a convasation with the woman at the desk across from me (im at work in an office) and she went to NTU and even in those days St Ann's was known as the worst estate in that part of the country. Put it like this, a 11 year old girl (or was she 13?) was shot there last year, caught in the crossfire of two street/drugs gangs shooting war. Its not very safe to walk about in, so if you can...dont live there. especially if youre new to the country/in your first year... you wouldnt have much fun.
Reply 11
Isn't this the area which attracts all the gun crime?!?!

I would stay the hell out of this area!
Quasimodo
Hy everybody,

Please, please please avoid this area like the plague. :eek:

Despite the posh sounding name, it's the gun capital of Britain. :eek:

If you value your life and you want to be alive to celebrate Christmas 2005, do not choose a place in St. Ann's. :eek:
Reply 13
first of all, i would like to thank you guys for your replies. I really appreciate that!

But why is St. Ann then listed as student area? Cheap is one thing but lots of students live there, or are they all related to a gang :-)
Quasimodo
first of all, i would like to thank you guys for your replies. I really appreciate that!

But why is St. Ann then listed as student area? Cheap is one thing but lots of students live there, or are they all related to a gang :-)

i've never heard St. Ann's being described as a student area. I would recommend Lenton. It's the palce where all the students live and it's safe because there are always students around which puts off muggers etc.
Reply 15
A place to live is a place to live. (And I use the term 'live' lightly :wink:). But there are students staying there (and 99.9% are probably trent students as opposed to Notts students). But having said that, Nottingham is a public place (ie non--students live there) and St Anns seems to be a place where a lot of non-students live.
Reply 16
Well, I'm sure the vast majority of people who live in st annes don't actually get shot on daily basis! But yeah, it's probably not the nicest area to live in, not that I've ever been there myself.
Reply 17
NO ****ING WAY DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN ST. ANNES _ YOU'D BE ****ING CRAZY TO DO THAT. (2nd year notts student)

please excuse my language but dont live there (for your parents sake)
Reply 18
It's the palce where all the students live and it's safe because there are always students around which puts off muggers etc.

not true a mate of mine had a machete in his face last week....i live there though but it can be a bit scary. Use yer common sense ie taxi to your house late at night etc
Reply 19
Isn't Notts uni quite far from St Anns? ie, unless you mean to, you wont even go there throughout your three years there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending