The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements for A-LEVELS

Ok, so I'll be applying this academic year for next academic year. I'm 20 and will be 21, going on 22 when I first start uni. I am studying Sociology, English lit and History A levels. Will be suprised if I don't get an A in sociology and english lit, hoping to get a B in history but more likely to be a C.

My question is; when they say 'we are flexible with offers for mature students' HOW flexible is this? I have medical records for the reasons for my gap in education (anorexia) and have gone back in with determination, although whilst struggling with severe depression which caused a dip in attendance and motivation this year.

Is there any point applying to unis such as Bath, Durham, KCL etc if I get AAC, or even ABC? With medical records and a good PS will they be more lenient or is this more for the more mature mature student? Should I be applying to uni's more likely to take me in? I know I'm intelligent and I know I could cope, the only reason I wouldn't do as well as I could is due to medical reasons that are now getting sorted.

Apologies if this isn't clear, not v.with it today.
Reply 1
What were your GCSE results?
Reply 2
Think it will depend on the individual uni, and how they assess/determine which candidates they take, so therefore its hard to give a blanket answer on what they will accept. I was told by one uni I visited that the only thing they take into account is your exam results, and they simply ignore your PS, while other uni's will take much more notice of your personal statement and circumstances.

Its generally therefore a good idea to apply for a "range" of uni's - i.e. a couple with lower entry requirements for backup - and if you can speak to admissions officers you might have a better idea of where you stand with them.

And if it helps, I applied at 25, and received 4 offers, 3 requiring ABB and 1 requiring AAB, 1 uni did not make me an offer (UCL) - Since these grades were their standard offers, it would appear they did not make any allowance for the fact I was a mature student - at least in my case.
Reply 3
check with individual uni's as it will very much depend on the uni itself and the course you want to study. However you can apply for special consideration with your A Level grades with proven ill health and proof of ability in other ways ie you ace your course work but a lapse in health means your exam didn't go 100% well you can possibly get your grades bumped up a bit.
Reply 4
Alieshia
check with individual uni's as it will very much depend on the uni itself and the course you want to study. However you can apply for special consideration with your A Level grades with proven ill health and proof of ability in other ways ie you ace your course work but a lapse in health means your exam didn't go 100% well you can possibly get your grades bumped up a bit.

I've got special consideration, and loooads of medical records. Do you think I should send these off with my PS? Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Orli19
Think it will depend on the individual uni, and how they assess/determine which candidates they take, so therefore its hard to give a blanket answer on what they will accept. I was told by one uni I visited that the only thing they take into account is your exam results, and they simply ignore your PS, while other uni's will take much more notice of your personal statement and circumstances.

Its generally therefore a good idea to apply for a "range" of uni's - i.e. a couple with lower entry requirements for backup - and if you can speak to admissions officers you might have a better idea of where you stand with them.

And if it helps, I applied at 25, and received 4 offers, 3 requiring ABB and 1 requiring AAB, 1 uni did not make me an offer (UCL) - Since these grades were their standard offers, it would appear they did not make any allowance for the fact I was a mature student - at least in my case.

Eeeh, I guess that's not what I wanted to hear but then again, it's just a case of putting the work in which I know I will do. I emailed a lot of addmissions tutors yesterday and the replies were somewhat ambiguous. All three that replied (Durham, Lancaster and Leeds) all said 'We would welcome and application from you' but in the same breath kind of saying, SOMETIMES we lower offers but not by that much. I think as I'll only just be a mature student my offers won't be that much lower. Ok, I'm going to buy the textbooks now and swot up before September! Thanks for you advice

Latest

Trending

Trending