The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway FAQ

Scroll to see replies

purpleheart
Sweet times. The practicals for Human Phys will be fine; if you put the work in you can easily average around 85%, which will help because the exam is pretty tough. You don't have to understand that much; there's just so much stuff to learn! Put it this way: in the last 4-5 years that I've looked at for past exam papers, a question has never been repeated. It's really interesting, you just need to make sure you don't forget it after the first term!

Awesome. I did a pathophysiology module last year with the biomed students and I loved it. I'm hoping that it will expand on that. Cheers.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 21
hey! i'd like to know when do we have proper exams? as in at the end of every term?(ie. December,March and June)? Not sure how it works in the UK. Many thanks!!
Rosa01
hey! i'd like to know when do we have proper exams? as in at the end of every term?(ie. December,March and June)? Not sure how it works in the UK. Many thanks!!

It really depends on the module. It tends to be either

A. You have a smallish exam/test in the middle of the year and then proper exams at the end.

B. No exams in term, but a piece of coursework and big exam at the end.
Reply 23
Just bumping this.
Reply 24
Bumping again so it doesn't go onto the next page. Would be good if anyone knew someone who could sticky this. :biggrin:
Reply 25
Anything for Drama I'm happy to help with, I'm going into second year Drama and theatre studies, and I'm also the treasurer for the Drama society next year. :smile:
Reply 26
Bumpity bumpity bump.
Reply 27
10 minute walk to the station? short cut?

I'd like to know of this short cut. :s-smilie:
^ Through the back door down Lynwood Ave. Turn right on Ripley Ave then. Turn left on Clarence St. Turn right on Osborne Rd. Turn left on Rusham Rd and continue down that road without turning. Station is at its end.
Reply 29
Thank you :smile:
Reply 30
Hogo
Thank you :smile:

Have a handy google map link too as the route is also mostly a shortcut to Egham too.
Reply 31
Princess_Betty
I'm on the committee for the Music Department next year, so if anyone has any music-related questions, I'll do my best to answer :smile:

How easy is it for someone not doing music to get involved in the orchestra and other musical activities?? and how??
Reply 32
embo1209
How easy is it for someone not doing music to get involved in the orchestra and other musical activities?? and how??

I know its very easy to get involved with bands for shows - just look out for details on the facebook groups of societies such as the musical theatre society.
Reply 33
I have some questions :smile:

1) I would like to watch TV when I'm in halls. Is there a common room with a TV or something like that for Reid Hall? Or more importantly, how do most students watch TV in their rooms - do they have portable TVs or do they have something to watch TV on their computers?
I've been looking into portable TVs but I think its a bit risky buying one if the signal you get in your room is poor to non-existent...are there aerials for all halls? Can anyone recommend a method of receiving TV...???

2) I got the reading list for Psychology in the post. Do I need to buy all the books mentioned, or can I get some of them from the library...?

3 Once I've sorted the whole TV situation out, will I definitely need a TV license? I know that legally I am obliged to get one, I'm just wondering if anybody gets away with not having one on campus...do the TV license people actually come to the halls on campus to check?

Thanks a lot in advance
atayna

2) I got the reading list for Psychology in the post. Do I need to buy all the books mentioned, or can I get some of them from the library...?

Thanks a lot in advance

Buy them (secondhand from Amazon marketplace) as you need them. You probably won't need most of them.

The library is ****. Don't rely on it. Especially during coursework/exam periods.
Reply 35
GodspeedGehenna
Buy them (secondhand from Amazon marketplace) as you need them. You probably won't need most of them.

The library is ****. Don't rely on it. Especially during coursework/exam periods.

Thankk you :smile: When I visited RHUL, I met Polly Dalton and she told me that the library was excellent and I could probably get all the books I need from the library or digitalised on student intranet.
Reading everywhere that the library is **** is telling me she is living in cloud cuckoo land :biggrin:
atayna
Thankk you :smile: When I visited RHUL, I met Polly Dalton and she told me that the library was excellent and I could probably get all the books I need from the library or digitalised on student intranet.
Reading everywhere that the library is **** is telling me she is living in cloud cuckoo land :biggrin:

lol yeah that's complete bs. The library is terrible.

A few of the core texts are available as e-books which is handy, but other than that, it's difficult to get a hold of anything as there are so many students and so few copies.

You're better off buying the essentials as and when you need them.
Reply 37
embo1209

Go to Freshers Fayre next week (23rd & 24th) and all the various music related societies will have stands where you can find out what they're about and sign up with them.
embo1209

Very easy, any RHUL student can audition for the Symphony Orchestra, it's not very well publicised but we will be putting audition info on the facebook group during Freshers week when they put the sign-up details up. New players are always welcome :smile:

If you want to play in the pit orchestras for Musical Theatre Society and Savoy Opera Society you just need to keep an eye out on the groups on facebook for details on who is the Musical Director and send them an email.

The facebook group is here btw http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135495543135033&ref=ts - it won't be at the Fresher's Fayre and neither will the Opera Holloway group because they're not SU-affiliated.
Reply 39
Princess_Betty
Very easy, any RHUL student can audition for the Symphony Orchestra, it's not very well publicised but we will be putting audition info on the facebook group during Freshers week when they put the sign-up details up. New players are always welcome :smile:

If you want to play in the pit orchestras for Musical Theatre Society and Savoy Opera Society you just need to keep an eye out on the groups on facebook for details on who is the Musical Director and send them an email.

The facebook group is here btw http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135495543135033&ref=ts - it won't be at the Fresher's Fayre and neither will the Opera Holloway group because they're not SU-affiliated.

Thanks, I don't seem to be able to join the facebook group though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending