Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway FAQ

Scroll to see replies

embo1209
Thanks, I don't seem to be able to join the facebook group though :frown:

Errrrm... might be because you're not on the RHUL network? Think you need to put your college email on there before it'll let you. A few people have been having that issue.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 41
Here's something for the FAQ: Only eat the burger in The Hub. The rest is RUBBISH.
Reply 42
WokSz
Here's something for the FAQ: Only eat the burger in The Hub. The rest is RUBBISH.

Not if I'm on the lunch shift. :P

Also for the FAQ- With Founders Burgers-yes we do have salad and relish if you want them, but you have to ask for it. There used to be a sign up, but as there isn't now, we seem to not be using any at all.
Reply 43
I hold an unconditionnal offer from the PIR departement. I was supposed to start this September but I decided to defer my entry until sept 2011. I wanted to live in Egham at first but I have heard that for a 1st year it would be better to live on campus (and easier)

So now I would like to apply for 1) Butler 2) Gowar 3) Wedder but I have no idea on when to apply..and there are no start date yet on RHUL (beautiful) website and I think those halls must be quite popular so is there a chance that as a deferred student I get in?

Also regarding the payment, how does it work? Do we pay the whole annual rent? Do we pay each term? As a EU student can I pay via credit card? Do I need travelers check?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 44
Olympias
I hold an unconditionnal offer from the PIR departement. I was supposed to start this September but I decided to defer my entry until sept 2011. I wanted to live in Egham at first but I have heard that for a 1st year it would be better to live on campus (and easier)

So now I would like to apply for 1) Butler 2) Gowar 3) Wedder but I have no idea on when to apply..and there are no start date yet on RHUL (beautiful) website and I think those halls must be quite popular so is there a chance that as a deferred student I get in?

Also regarding the payment, how does it work? Do we pay the whole annual rent? Do we pay each term? As a EU student can I pay via credit card? Do I need travelers check?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I can answer some of your questions, though I'm sure there are other people on here able to answer anything else for you.

Firstly, when you apply for accommodation, Butler, Tuke and Williamson are grouped together, and Gowar and Wedderburn are grouped together- you can't just choose Butler, for example. You'll probably have to apply for halls with everyone else around sort of springtime next year (someone else can be clearer on exact dates- I can never quite remember), and then you'll find out where you're living at the beginning of summer, probably.

The halls you're interested in are the most popular halls on campus, but as a deferred applicant and an unconditional offer holder, you'll be pretty much at the top of the priority list as there's no doubts over whether or not you'll get the grades. I was an unconditional offer holder myself, and I got my first choice, so I'd be surprised if you didn't (there's no guarantee, though).

Rent is payed termly, though the first term (as it's the longest) costs the most, the second term costs a little less, and the third term is the cheapest. Payment is via the internet, and as far as I know credit card is okay but there might be some sort of a fee incurred, whilst with debit card there is no fee.
Reply 45
Thank you!! I will make sure to check regularly the website. Hopefully there will be more information in January (once the deadline for most UCAS application has passed!)

As for the payment, I meant debit card sorry (in France we always talk about credit card). I'm quite relieved to know that I will be able to pay for each term instead of paying once force the annual rent :smile: and that I may be on top of the list :smile: Thanks again!
Reply 46
Olympias
Thank you!! I will make sure to check regularly the website. Hopefully there will be more information in January (once the deadline for most UCAS application has passed!)

As for the payment, I meant debit card sorry (in France we always talk about credit card). I'm quite relieved to know that I will be able to pay for each term instead of paying once force the annual rent :smile: and that I may be on top of the list :smile: Thanks again!

Yeah, it would be tough having to pay it all at once. I'm not sure how the system in terms of bursaries or loans works in France (or whether you're using Student Finance) but they're also split up into termly instalments, so it'd be unfair to ask more from the students than they're being given.
where can i get my hair cut in the green?
Reply 48
Original post by toastehmonstah
where can i get my hair cut in the green?

Go to L'scissors in Egham. Much better and it's 30% off on Mondays and Tuesdays. That's £12.
(edited 13 years ago)
I went to Lloyd Charles in the green, 20% off on mondays, £13.60 and not miles away xD
Reply 50
Are these prices for males or females?

I'm a guy and just want my head shaved 2 all over. suggestions of where to go?
I pay a fortune for my haircuts and I still look like a ****.
Reply 52
Original post by dmoorcroft
Are these prices for males or females?

I'm a guy and just want my head shaved 2 all over. suggestions of where to go?

Just been to McBarbers and got it done for an amazing £6.50! great service!
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I pay a fortune for my haircuts and I still look like a ****.

did you ever stop to think that maybe it's not the hair that's the issue? xD
Some of my friends went to Mojo on Station Road (the guy who used to own Wacky Barbers on the Green) and said it's very good. One of my friends even bought the barber some cigarettes while he was at home in Spain and sold them to him. :awesome:
Reply 55
Question: Do cleaners go into rooms on a regular basis and if so, does that mean that I have to keep my room/the flat tidy?
Reply 56
There are room checks once a month, usually done by the housekeeper for your halls. If your room is untidy, you will be given a list of things to tidy up/fix. Supposedly they check again to make sure you have fixed it, but I've never seen it happen. You get the dates for room checks in advance at the start of term when you move in.
Reply 57
What are the worst penalties for people, like myself who put in *questionable* effort in tidying up?

My room can be described as chaotic at the best of times and I fear that old habits won't die hard enough by September.
Reply 58
Original post by fibrebiz
What are the worst penalties for people, like myself who put in *questionable* effort in tidying up?

My room can be described as chaotic at the best of times and I fear that old habits won't die hard enough by September.

My room is a literal tip at the moment. Like, literally, you can't walk through it, and stuff's all over my bed, clothes everywhere etc... empty boxes everywhere.

Forgot there was an inspection this week, and all they did was put a "Your room has passed the inspection" notice on my door with a written note saying "Please tidy your room". The times that I've been in when they do an inspection, they just have a quick glance around to make sure there are still four walls and a ceiling.

Literally, they'll only really complain if you've done something that will permanently damage the room.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by fibrebiz
Question: Do cleaners go into rooms on a regular basis and if so, does that mean that I have to keep my room/the flat tidy?

Just remembered - if you're a girl, on top of the room inspections, you'll get a "women's bin" in your bathroom which gets emptied monthly.

Also, it's not quite like living in your own accommodation, it's more like a hotel... Housing services have no qualms about randomly entering your room to do stuff without prior warning... for example one time they did a room inspection while I was out and noted that a light was dodgy in my bathroom. The next day, maintenance randomly came round and fixed it. They do knock first though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending