Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Apolloloco
So i missed the deadline for accommodation... i saved my application but i cant pay the deposit yet I know I'm going to be put on the waiting list but what are the chances of getting Reid or term time tuke/butler? also if I'm allocated halls but i didn't want the place I'm allocated could i request somewhere else or would i have to just wait?

If you are allocated one place but request to be moved I don't think its likely. If you want to switch and find somebody else that wants to switch directly with you it can be done but not till after term has started (not sure how long). I got allocated one place but got switched before term started but I had medical priority and I had appliedas soon as applications opened.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 81
Would £70 p/w be a comfortable enough allowance to survive on if I'm in reid or will I likely need to crack into an overdraft?
Reply 82
Original post by Bestwick
Would £70 p/w be a comfortable enough allowance to survive on if I'm in reid or will I likely need to crack into an overdraft?

That certainly sounds doable to me, if you're careful! Especially with the discounted food you'll get in Founder's, meaning that you (in theory) won't have to pay as much for food as someone in self-catered. The only issue is going out- I found that the one thing that pushed me over budget some weeks was buying things like SU tickets and alcohol, which is difficult to do cheaply at RHUL! (At least, until I discovered Ruby Wines, haha.) But you should be fine. :biggrin:

Is the internet in halls capped?
Reply 84
Original post by 3rdFormulation

Nope. :biggrin:
Reply 85

I downloaded somewhere around 20GB in 24 hours once. Torrents with a very good seed:tongue:eer ratio download anywhere from 1-3MB/s.

BBC iPlayer takes it a step further to over 20MB/s.

:biggrin:
Reply 86

If I could add to that question:

Is the internet restricted in any way - P2P, website blocking, any expectation that you will use it for study only... ?

EDIT: clearly not Bittorrent or Kontiki P2P then...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Axtrate
I downloaded somewhere around 20GB in 24 hours once. Torrents with a very good seed:tongue:eer ratio download anywhere from 1-3MB/s.

BBC iPlayer takes it a step further to over 20MB/s.

:biggrin:

Oh good, I'm not going to public torrent anyway, that's quality suicide! I'll just SFTP into my linode and probably get zapping downspeeds and ping times due to the server being located in London... As long as people don't moan at me for hooking up a wireless router, all appears to be good. Any port blocks? Not that it'll really matter, once I set up my VPN... :P
uhm hehe a couple of questions.

1. my man-friend (hehe) may stay overnight a few weekends... is there anyway of having overnight parking for visitors? or does that make it too suspicious that someone is in fact staying overnight? just otherwise he will have to get 2 busses here which is abit of a pain...

2. how hard is it to get into the choir? like is it fiercly competitive? im going to be applying... im taking my grade 8 singing hopefully in may time.

3. im going to have to write to royal holloway about a certain phobia of mine...about using public loos n how i dont like doing it.... as ill get a docs note for this, does this mean theyll see me as a nuisance n not put me into the first option for accomodation, and just somewhere with an ensuite room that isnt first choice?

(edited 12 years ago)
Hi I’m posting this question on other threads, so apologies for the re-post.

Obviously it’s exam period now but I live off-campus and rarely use the library, used it a few months ago and even then it was quite busy during the day.

My question is does it get really busy now as there aren’t many scheduled lectures for some courses, so will there be less people? I’m only asking coz it’s bank holiday on Monday and my local libraries are closed so I just wanted to know whether or not it would be worth trekking down to campus to use the library, if there’s no chance of getting a seat…

Thanks for any help!

edit: in bedford library i mean (vital info i managed to miss out :s-smilie:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
I Noticed that by Now all the other universities have their Facebook page & Group Up and Running ! tat way it makes it much easier for u to make friends
find your fellow course mates !

Well here' s the one for royal holloway, university of london for the year 2012 !

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalHollowayFreshers2012

Good luck !
make the most outta it !!!
Reply 91
I am an international freshser to RoHo. The week begins this year on 22nd September. So should I book my tickets in order to reach on the 21st? I also wish to ask where my parents are supposed to stay, if they come along?
Reply 92
Original post by rohana
I am an international freshser to RoHo. The week begins this year on 22nd September. So should I book my tickets in order to reach on the 21st?

The 22nd is a Saturday. That'll be when you've been told you can move in to your room on campus? There's no real point arriving a day early as you'll need to find somewhere else to stay.

I also wish to ask where my parents are supposed to stay, if they come along?

There are number of options for where your parents can stay if they come with you. There's "The Hub" on campus or a number of hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs in the Egham/Englefield Green area. If they do decide to come with you, it's best to sort that out as soon as possible as I imagine that rooms go quickly as other parents also have the same idea.
Hey guys,

when is approx. the last day post grad. classes are held? I have offered accommodation till mid June only and was thinking whether I need to attend campus after June.

Many thanks for advices!
Original post by gm15
If you are allocated one place but request to be moved I don't think its likely. If you want to switch and find somebody else that wants to switch directly with you it can be done but not till after term has started (not sure how long). I got allocated one place but got switched before term started but I had medical priority and I had appliedas soon as applications opened.

Hi, do you think 115 GBP/ week is way too much for Egham? I was allocated to Penrose and thinking whether I should accept. Thanks for advice!
Reply 95
I applied for accommodation yesterday, the day after results day. I was just wondering how likely it is that I'll get my top choice (Tuke) and whether I could've applied earlier? I put RH as my insurance so just assumed I would have to apply for accommodation once I knew I wasn't going to my firm.
Original post by NeonIndian
I applied for accommodation yesterday, the day after results day. I was just wondering how likely it is that I'll get my top choice (Tuke) and whether I could've applied earlier? I put RH as my insurance so just assumed I would have to apply for accommodation once I knew I wasn't going to my firm.

That's my top choice too, and I applied for it a month ago. No offer yet although when I called they told me that it's a very popular choice. Fingers crossed!

Also, they aren't sending out offers until towards towards to end of August so don't worry if you think it's taking a while!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 97
Original post by live_a_life
That's my top choice too, and I applied for it a month ago. No offer yet although when I called they told me that it's a very popular choice. Fingers crossed!

Also, they aren't sending out offers until towards towards to end of August so don't worry if you think it's taking a while!

Yeah I heard that too. Really hope we get in! Founders is my second choice, I thought as its being refurbished it'd be up to scratch with the newer accommodation, plus I'd get to live in that amazing building for a year!

Oh thanks for telling me that, I didn't know! What will you be studying?
Yeah I heard that too. Really hope we get in! Founders is my second choice, I thought as its being refurbished it'd be up to scratch with the newer accommodation, plus I'd get to live in that amazing building for a year!

Oh thanks for telling me that, I didn't know! What will you be studying?

Oh Founders is one of my last choices! I'm a fan of ensuites haha

I'll be studying Biomedical Science! :smile:

Reply 99

Founders is a listed building so they are heavily limited in what modifications they can make to it. So it's very unlikely they'll be able to magically transform it into the same level of facilities you can get in the new halls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending