The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They rip the piss out of each other. Sometimes it gets a bit savage but is usually good-natured.

Not always though. I did one expedition training on the Zambezi and there was a guy who got ripped mercilessly. He got quite upset, which made it much much worse.

ARRSE is not entirely representative, tbh. But if you went on in and declared your ambition to join the SAS then yes, they would have been a bit arrsey :wink:
Reply 2
Theres actually a forum called ARRSE?

Oh dear. Somebody didn't think that through very well.
Reply 3
No, they're definitely not all like this. Sounds like some young lads on a power trip who love to go one up on a resident civvy. Harmless really but talk to your local AFCO office if you're looking for professional advice. :smile:
Reply 4
On ARRSE if you post a bone thread which has already been asked numerous times and you haven't used the search function to find it people will jump on you. Don't ask stupid questions and for Gods sake, if you do then post it in the right forum.

werd123

I think you will find they thought it through very well!
well, its generally quite laddish in the forces is it not? (source: my ex) unless you're going in to be an officer or higher perhaps?
Reply 6
werd123

darn, beat me to it! :P
Reply 7
Dystopian91
Hey

I don't know if this is just online but I've noticed that Army types seem to act like complete tools. I joined Army forums (ie: ARRSE) to basically find out more and they basically jump down your throat and seem to be really agressive unduely.

Not that I'm phased by it but it's ******* annoying.

Is it actually like this in the Army? I know theres "banter" but is it really so full on and pointless in practice?

I hated about 75% of the people I met when I was in the army. I would say the majority of it wasn't banter, it was just rude. Fortunatly very little of this "banter" was aimed at me and I just got on with the job and kept a low profile.

Now I'm on a UAS and "banter" seems very different. It seems friendly piss taking rather than just being a complete **** head. Army banter was very...aggressive and just wound me up. They seem to treat each other like **** and never help each other out.
Reply 8
It depends what you are like. When my brother went on army courses if you had a bit of self respect and gave as good as you got you'd be fine, if you were a shirking violet then you wouldn't have fun.
Dystopian91
Hey

I don't know if this is just online but I've noticed that Army types seem to act like complete tools. I joined Army forums (ie: ARRSE) to basically find out more and they basically jump down your throat and seem to be really agressive unduely.

Is it actually like this in the Army? I know theres "banter" but is it really so full on and pointless in practice?

No, we're not all complete tools. Like any large organisation there are some great people, and some rubbish people.

You do need to be slightly robust while you're serving, and there is a lot of banter, but many parts of the Army are pretty civilised. Different regiments have different characters, and that is something worth researching.

I wouldn't worry about ARRSE too much. Most of them are civilians and wannabes - think Gareth from the Office. They get aggressive because they're internet tough guys, whereas in real life, they're most certainly not.
Reply 10
Dystopian91
Hey

Firstly mate remember, at least half of the people on ARRSE have never actually served. The rest are a mix of old and bold, regs and TA.

Saying that army blokes generally fit the mold in this sense - they don't tolerate idiots. If they see you asking a question that is asked every week or asking a question that you can easily find the answer to on google, they will rip the piss as you obviously haven't put in the effort yourself.

What was the question you asked over on ARRSE?

Duckandthat
well, its generally quite laddish in the forces is it not? (source: my ex) unless you're going in to be an officer or higher perhaps?

Officers are even more outrageous, they just can get away with it!

If you don't believe me, walk into the officer's mess late at night and shout "Naked Bar".
Reply 11
flugelr

What was the question you asked over on ARRSE?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse-hole/137854-officer-soldier.html#post3327681
Reply 12

Eeeekkk, I can see why they ripped into you. The pros and cons between the ranks can be researched. You did make a massive assumption that soldiers don't lead. What about Cpl's, Sgt's and WO's? They can all come from the ranks. But forgetting those ranks entirely, your statement seems to put across the idea that soldiers don't do any leading at all. Just a couple of observations mate. Not trying to rip into you.
Reply 13
sypher1985
Eeeekkk, I can see why they ripped into you. The pros and cons between the ranks can be researched. You did make a massive assumption that soldiers don't lead. What about Cpl's, Sgt's and WO's? They can all come from the ranks. But forgetting those ranks entirely, your statement seems to put across the idea that soldiers don't do any leading at all. Just a couple of observations mate. Not trying to rip into you.

I know they can be researched, and I have done - I was asking for THEIR take on it, from their perspective and their experience. Either way there was no need for them to be complete arse holes about it.
Reply 14
From what I've seen of Army culture through Cadets and meeting various Regs, TA etc I would say it;s not always like that.

I think it's all alot of ballsy stuff to start with. But once you get to know them, get to be part of the squad/platoon you wont get so much abuse. Plus, the friends you make in the Army are friends for life, through thick and thin. Hell, I knew 2 regs who pretty much hated each other but you mesed with one of them the other would be right by his side. I find it's very different from the inside as it were.

I know it's cliche but once you get under tha macho layer there is real camraderie.

That said, there are some dicks in the Army to, :wink:
Dystopian91
Either way there was no need for them to be complete arse holes about it.

ARRSE may not be to your liking then.
Dystopian91
I know they can be researched, and I have done - I was asking for THEIR take on it, from their perspective and their experience. Either way there was no need for them to be complete arse holes about it.

Your post is stupid, smacks of trolling and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the Army and those who serve as part of it. You got off lightly with something like that and even the moderators over there agree - the post was moved to the 'bin'.

Do you know how many Branches and Trades there are in the Army? Asking 'what day to day differences' there are shows you need to do a lot more research if you want to be treated as someone serious in their aspirations.
Reply 17
They were a bit mean weren't they?

Steevee

I know it's cliche but once you get under tha macho layer there is real camraderie.

That said, there are some dicks in the Army to, :wink:

What he said. Don't be put off one bit because of some idiots on a forum. The army and the military in general requires a thick skin, so don't take it to heart. :yep: And good luck.
Reply 18

The way you posted suggests that you think soldiers do f-all. That is what I think they are pissed off about. I'm a long-term member of the site and have never really had any problems.

Also, the Soldier/Officer thing is something which has been discussed countless times on the forums. ARRSE members expect you to use the search function.

So, the differences between officer and soldier (this is from my TA experience and from others who have spoken to me about it):
When you're a subaltern (Junior Officer), life is pretty much the same regardless of capbadge, and your working day is pretty much taken up with the same thing, even if you're Inf, Artillery, Engineers, Signals, or whatever.

Your men.

Your men will occupy your every waking moment. You'll dig out blind for them, and at 2Lt/Lt level, the best officers will do everything for them.

What does that mean on a day to day basis? It means you'll be busy looking after them. When they mess up, you'll be the one bailing them out from the local police station. You'll be the one accompanying them to court and telling the judge that they're the best thing since sliced bread (even if they're not!).

You'll be the one helping them deal with debts, with difficult ex-wives, covering up their mistakes from the CO, loading them on courses, writing their Annual Reports (called SJARS - Servicemens Joint Appraisal Reports), chasing up their postings and career courses, orgainsing their AT and on top of that, you'll be answerable to the CO (through your Company Commander) for ther training and welfare. You'll be expected to produce a Pl Training Programme which makes sure that they can take part in their Coy Training, which is part of the Bn training, which is part of Bde training... and so on.

Add into that what you're expected to do on Exercise and Ops (actually lead them) and you're in for a very, very busy time!

Officership can be as "hands on" as you want it to be. If you are content to hide in an office all day, you can, but you'll get no respect for it.

If, however, you spend you time with the lads, teaching, training, inspecting, interviewing, assessing, or even just sharing a brew with them, you (and they) will get a lot more out of it all.

Granted, the futher up the officer ranks you go, the more you will be tied to a desk (also the case with other ranks), but certainly at 2Lt/Lt/Capt (the first 8 years of your service) there is no reason why you shouldn't be getting out and about and spening time with you lads.

Do you want to be a master of your trade and the very best soldier you can be? Stick as a soldier and continue your career as an LE officer. Nothing wrong with that.

Or do you want to do your very best for the lads? Become an officer. Don't being an officer is all about Mess nights and collecting salutes - to be a really good officer takes dedication and effort.
flugelr

Officers are even more outrageous, they just can get away with it!

If you don't believe me, walk into the officer's mess late at night and shout "Naked Bar".

Not any more we don't! http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/3056361/Hero-Majors-nude-conga.html

Latest