The Student Room Group

Why do I think too much? lol

Can you guys relate?

All my life I've been encouraged to do what ever I want, for the future. Great, right? Well, yes...great....but a pain for me nowadays. I'm going to university come September and have always wanted to go to university.
I'll be studying conservation because it's a subject I enjoy and am interested in.
Before deciding this I very nearly went to study philosophy but chose not to because it is a worthless degree unless you want to become a professor or something.

Anyhoo, now I'm getting closer to university and I'm thinking to myself "what the hell is the point of this degree?" Think about it, the conservation work I want to do is all volunteer work and my ultimate dream career would be to run a kennel/cattery alongside a small livery yard. So, by the end of my course, I'll be roughly £35000-£50000 in debt with a degree that, if I actually manage to find a paid job, I'll end up working for an aweful wage. I don't mind earning not much money, but not when I've got to pay back a worthless degree.

So, without harsh comments, anyone had similar thought/situations?

If I don't get in this year because of my grades I think I might take a year out and work abroad and do my volunteering..come back..then apply for a business course or equine business at Hartpury (which happens to be a course that I got accepted to but turned down!-urgh!!)
Reply 1
ddua_dduges
Can you guys relate?

All my life I've been encouraged to do what ever I want, for the future. Great, right? Well, yes...great....but a pain for me nowadays. I'm going to university come September and have always wanted to go to university.
I'll be studying conservation because it's a subject I enjoy and am interested in.
Before deciding this I very nearly went to study philosophy but chose not to because it is a worthless degree unless you want to become a professor or something.

Anyhoo, now I'm getting closer to university and I'm thinking to myself "what the hell is the point of this degree?" Think about it, the conservation work I want to do is all volunteer work and my ultimate dream career would be to run a kennel/cattery alongside a small livery yard. So, by the end of my course, I'll be roughly £35000-£50000 in debt with a degree that, if I actually manage to find a paid job, I'll end up working for an aweful wage. I don't mind earning not much money, but not when I've got to pay back a worthless degree.

So, without harsh comments, anyone had similar thought/situations?

If I don't get in this year because of my grades I think I might take a year out and work abroad and do my volunteering..come back..then apply for a business course or equine business at Hartpury (which happens to be a course that I got accepted to but turned down!-urgh!!)

I studied Law at university and I think my student loan debt is somewhere in the region of 13 grand. I've just taken out a 10 grand loan to pay for the Legal Practice Course and it will be about 16 grand that I have to pay back by the time interest is added, and that's with no guarantee of a job as Law is extremely competitive. It's just the price you have to pay to get ahead in life I guess. It's a risk but there's always going to be risks in pursuing your dreams.

You don't necessarily have to do a business course just because you want to run your own business eventually. A lot of entreprenuers start out with no qualifications whatsoever. It's your passion and work ethic that's important. Whatever you do, make sure it's something you enjoy. We spend most of our life in work so you don't want it to be a job you hate or one that you don't find fulfilling.
Reply 2
Hey I'm doing a much more pointless degree here; Music Production. I've been told enough times by enough people that there are no jobs in the industry but I'm doing it because I'm good at it and I love it! And also because I'm not smart enough to do anything else, but I'm just happy to be going to uni. I don't want to miss out on the experience.

You've got to remember that at the end of the day every degree is still a degree. Whatever course you do you're still learning basic skills that all employers need, just dressed up with some other fancy stuff. If you don't get a job in the field you've studied for there are still plenty of decent paying jobs out there. I don't think anyone I know actually has a job in the degree they studied at uni, unless it's medical of course. Whatever job you end up at after uni you're going to start at the bottom.

And even though it's 100% not gonna happen it would be amazing if I did manage to do music production for a living!
This is quite a pointless post but may I just say that I love your idea of running a kennel or cattery alongside a livery yard. I hope you fulfil your dream :smile:
Reply 4
Peachesishere
This is quite a pointless post but may I just say that I love your idea of running a kennel or cattery alongside a livery yard. I hope you fulfil your dream :smile:

Aww thank you =).
We nearly did a couple years ago but it was 1 month before the recession hit, so immediately funding from the banks was withdrawn =(.