The Student Room Group

Fungal infection and body odor

Okay...

I've got dark patches on my skin and I think it's the cause of my body odour. My GP thinks it might be a fungus (tinea versicolor) but ther not sure.

I've tried anti fungal creams, anti fungal tablets, selsun blue, hibi cleanse, driclore and tea tree oil. I'm going to see a dermatologist in a month but it's such a long time away.

It's a really embarrassing condition and if I had to choose between having this and being dead I'd choose being dead.

Does anybody know how I could cure this!???? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaasse!

If my dermatologist can't help me I have know idea what I'm going to do.
Reply 1
Drink the blood of 7 black cats.

(Works a treat)
Reply 2
dannylj
Drink the blood of 7 black cats.

(Works a treat)

Hope you and your family die a horrible death.
Reply 3
Revolutionary
Hope you and your family die a horrible death.

Meanie
Reply 4
dannylj
Meanie

Of course I don't mean it. Just at my wits end with this problem. It's really that serious.
Reply 5
Coconut oil has been used for a lot of skin problems, worth a try? :dontknow:
Reply 6
Revolutionary
Of course I don't mean it. Just at my wits end with this problem. It's really that serious.

Where are these black splodges? This may be a bit gay but you are at your wits end so it calls for drastic measures. Make up? Get your mum to do it? And deoderant for the BO, until you see the dermtologist.
Reply 7
dannylj
Where are these black splodges? This may be a bit gay but you are at your wits end so it calls for drastic measures. Make up? Get your mum to do it? And deoderant for the BO, until you see the dermtologist.

Thanx for the advice.

The dark patches are on my torso and I use lynx. As soon as I start sweating (I get anxious easily) the lynx stops working.

****!!
Reply 8
Revolutionary
It's a really embarrassing condition and if I had to choose between having this and being dead I'd choose being dead.

Why haven't you killed yourself then? Forgive my curiosity.
Reply 9
Wardy23
Why haven't you killed yourself then? Forgive my curiosity.

No matter how I put this I'll sound like a coward...

I love my family too much and would never want to put them through any pain like that.

My idea has always been to travel abroad and overdose on anything that would do the job...

...but then again, suicide is a cowards way out.

If I'm not wearing three or four layers the smell is noticeable. People don't treat you like a real human being. It's a very sad existence.
I've got psoriasis. My skins pretty bad, has been for several years, and I've tried pretty much every treatment for it. I haven't been swimming since I was about twelve (now 19) because it's so bad and I can't bear the thought of everyone seeing my skin.

So I know all about getting depressed because of the state of your skin. I was bullied for years: I had to back out of beach trips/parties with my friends: I had to turn down formal dresses I really liked for one that covered my skin: and for years I've had to put up with people asking what's wrong with me. All these little things combine to make a big problem.

It's hard. I won't lie. It's knocked my confidence quite a lot. But the only way around it is to adapt - find ways to cover it up, if you feel self-concious (skin coloured tights are good: cute cardigans are good: a tan sometimes helps to make it less noticeable: and make up can be a quick fix), work out a routine that works for you and to try not to think about it.

I can't help with your exact problem, OP - but I think it's important to know that you're not the only self-concious one out there :smile:

I would recommend trying moisturising every day. E45 is good and fairly cheap.
Reply 11
Revolutionary
Thanx for the advice.

The dark patches are on my torso and I use lynx. As soon as I start sweating (I get anxious easily) the lynx stops working.

****!!

Unless you are a swimmer I wouldn't worry, chances are noone will see the splodges. And if its the BO which is the problem maybe a try a different deoderant? Like one that stops you from sweating, anti perspirant.
Reply 12
Sometimes lynx isnt strong enough.

You could try Mitchum deodorant, that is strong, or have you heard of dri-clor (I think thats the name) go and ask for it at a pharmacy and they will know, you put it on at night and I think wash it off again in the morning. It really helps.
dannylj
Unless you are a swimmer I wouldn't worry, chances are noone will see the splodges. And if its the BO which is the problem maybe a try a different deoderant? Like one that stops you from sweating, anti perspirant.

Thanks for the advice...

...but I've tried that. I've searched the net for days on end looking for a cure. I've tried all the obvious things.

I'm asking, hoping, somebody has an idea that I haven't come across.
Reply 14
OP - Until you know what it is, I would NOT and I repeat NOT put make-up or anything else on it. What if it makes it worse?
If all that other stuff did not work, maybe it is not a fungus.

You think the smell is from the 'black patches'? Can you smell them? Does the skin feel different then the not black patches?
And how black are the patches?

I will send you a pm, cause we all know just how nice some can be here :wink:
KuntiSurya
OP - Until you know what it is, I would NOT and I repeat NOT put make-up or anything else on it. What if it makes it worse?
If all that other stuff did not work, maybe it is not a fungus.

You think the smell is from the 'black patches'? Can you smell them? Does the skin feel different then the not black patches?
And how black are the patches?

I will send you a pm, cause we all know just how nice some can be here :wink:

haha, cheers...

Well I'm of African origin so the patches are pretty dark (dark brown). Theyr'e all over my stomach and under my arms. The smell used to be atrociously bad before I started using a shampoo called selsun blue, the thing is selsun blue doesn't have a pleasant smell either, so it's a mix of bad smells. Yeah, I won't be putting make up on my torso. I don't care about how it looks, it's the smell that's annoying me.
Reply 16
Revolutionary
haha, cheers...

Well I'm of African origin so the patches are pretty dark (dark brown).

Sorry.. that actually made me laugh.
It might have been a good idea to have added that fact when you first posted, considering that, for some reason, most medical pictures are of very pale skinned people. Plus that tinea versicolor, is described as brown patches. Black had me really burning up Google :tongue:
Try bathing in bleach a couple times a week and eucalyptus oil in your body wash and lotions

Quick Reply

Latest