The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's called good business sense. Deal with it.
Reply 61
canthisbeit
This is a place to have some type of resonable debate/discussion, not just to rant.

You clearly havent got used to TSR yet, have you?
Reply 62
lesbionic
I guess I just have this opinion because in the shopping centre near where I work is an army barracks and the military personnel come shopping during their downtime and I always have a bitch to them about how rubbish it is that we don't do military discount. Plus it's annoying because all the irritating york university rahs come shopping abusing their discount potential, and moan when they think they have it so hard that it's only 10%.

Weirdly, I think I know the exact place you're referring to. Because that's where I used to work too.
Reply 63
I don't think members of the Armed Forces should get discounts (for a start many of them get food and accommodation provided for them) but yes I get your point, there's too many places students can get discounts and it makes them seem like freeloaders and obviously some students are not really poor. It should probably be limited to things like pubs close to unis.
I thought this was The Student Room?
Reply 65
Gwasgray
I don't think members of the Armed Forces should get discounts (for a start many of them get food and accommodation provided for them) but yes I get your point, there's too many places students can get discounts and it makes them seem like freeloaders.

Don't know where this notion gets bandied about from....

Food and accommodation is not free in the forces. Nor is travel. It's only free if you are in Afghanistan*.

*but you still have to pay for your room/house back in the UK while you're out there.
Reply 66
Drewski
Weirdly, I think I know the exact place you're referring to. Because that's where I used to work too.

:eek3: Really?! Without revealing too much about the location, that is very coincidental!
lesbionic
I say this because there are other widespread groups of people, such as the Armed Forces, who do not receive this kind of heroic privilege and I believe they deservingly should do.

It makes me sad then, that an officer in the army should be told they can't get a 'military discount' and turned away at the counter only for a hungover, naive little student to follow suit and be endowed with a lush 10-15% reduction.

The point is, students are often poor, and so they can get discounts, otherwise they'd never shop at said place. If they are used to shopping at that place, they're more likely to keep on shopping when they get older. It's kinda sensible.

The military have a job, and have money. Makes no sense for them to get a discount. Why should they? They chose that career, good for them.
Reply 68
lesbionic
:eek3: Really?! Without revealing too much about the location, that is very coincidental!

I used to have the exact same conversation with the guys who visited my shop, though thankfully we had less rahs, being a borderline chavvy sports shop.
First degree price discrimination ftw!
RahRah09
I think you should talk to the guy in this thread who's actually in the army rather than quoting an article that's 2 years out of date.

Well wages only go up (an armed forces pay cut would be big news) so it being 2 years old shouldn't really matter.

I'd rather base my opinion on armed forces pay on official figures than a random person posting (I'm not saying they are lying, just they aren't necessarily representative of the forces). They say their salary is less than 11k a year yet the lowest figure I've found is over 12k from back in 2006, excluding all allowances - although, maybe the air force pay significantly less than the army?
Reply 71
Drewski
I used to have the exact same conversation with the guys who visited my shop, though thankfully we had less rahs, being a borderline chavvy sports shop.

How strange :p: They often come at lunchtimes, and many are women or guys bringing their kids out. It's a joke, I don't know why it bothers me, I'm not in the forces obviously and don't wish to be, but it makes me angry. I shouldn't be moaning about it to them whilst at work, but it's a bit off.

Not to mention this 'place' is always full of affluent families, wealthy students who don't need a discount.
Reply 72
lesbionic
And you'd be right in saying that. I don't know where all these naive Student Room posters are drawing their silly assertions from that the military are overpaid and bathing in Moet champagne. Then again, I wouldn't expect a student forum to understand anything about the real world.

Then why may i ask are you here?
Reply 73
callum9999
Well wages only go up (an armed forces pay cut would be big news) so it being 2 years old shouldn't really matter.

I'd rather base my opinion on armed forces pay on official figures than a random person posting (I'm not saying they are lying, just they aren't necessarily representative of the forces). They say their salary is less than 11k a year yet the lowest figure I've found is over 12k from back in 2006, excluding all allowances - although, maybe the air force pay significantly less than the army?

No, he said his salary was 15K, stop lying and read his posts.

He said after taxes and essentials he takes home about £900 a month.
patella
Nice generalisation there. Not every student is as you've described.

For your information, my mum gets an NHS discount at quite a couple of places (50% off pizzas at Dominos, for one).

Are you 100% sure that there's nothing like this for the other professions you've listed?

:rofl: at the irony of an NHS worker getting a discount on fast food pizzas.
Reply 75
Drewski
Don't know where this notion gets bandied about from....

Food and accommodation is not free in the forces. Nor is travel. It's only free if you are in Afghanistan*.

*but you still have to pay for your room/house back in the UK while you're out there.

Well, alright it may not always be free but they can get accommodation at bases by paying very low rent. There's a number of little perks that soldiers can get, I'm not saying they compensate for what they have to do.
Students should be knuckling down with their studies, like they used to a decade or so ago. They shouldn't be skipping through Cabot Circus, or Glasgow's Buchanan Galleries or London's Westfields burning their cash and getting a discount in the process!

:rofl: if only they knew what students where getting up to back then, drinking more, doing more drugs, if anything nothing has changed or they work harder, as you can see with a rise in better results, but what do people do be little them by saying exams are getting easier :rolleyes: but what do we know about what happens in the outside world, we don't live in a real world where you have to pay bills, rent, shopping for food, yes ok we are not paying council tax

anyway where these a market shops will sell to it, whats a good way of getting people to spend when they have little money, discounts, nothing wrong if the shop wants to do, heck there are NHS discounts like 20% off in nandos for one,its down to shops agreement and well when these a market they will sell to it

why am i feeding the troll
Reply 77
callum9999

I'm talking about what I actually get to take home, after all taxes, charges, bills, etc are removed.

At the lower end of the scale, all the forces are the same. Once people are qualified/through training/combat ready then the pay does go up at more than reasonable amounts. However, this is by no means a quick process.
Reply 78
Olivia_Lightbulb
:rofl: at the irony of an NHS worker getting a discount on fast food pizzas.

Lol, I suppose it is a bit funny. :p:
Reply 79
People in the armed forces get paid a salary, whereas students' income is negative usually due to fees. So we need the discount more than they do, no matter who deserves it

Latest

Trending

Trending