The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sarforaz
The only logical reasoning I can think of is that he hasnt played any games for Liverpool yet, so he's just a new player as opposed to a senior one?

Otherwise idk :woo:

That's like saying Torres wasn't a senior player before October the year he moved..... logic is not there.

According to his wiki he's only played 166 games in his career, seems like ye have got another injury prone player, no?
Kevmeister
That's like saying Torres wasn't a senior player before October the year he moved..... logic is not there.

According to his wiki he's only played 166 games in his career, seems like ye have got another injury prone player, no?

Nah I dont think so, if you have a closer look, he didnt play at all at Shakhtar or Lokomotic Moscow. He had 9 league appearances in 4 years, so obviously a very late bloomer in that respect.

In his last 4 years at Standard Liege, he played 35 to 40 games every season.
I would have counted Jova, just forgot about him.
Hmm. City apparently looking like releasing Ireland, Bridge, and the Elephant Man according to the DF.

Lescott for leftback? Could look past his Everton days and slide him in there to be honest. Solid fullback who is a decent header of the ball too. Would prefer him to Bridge, massively so.
El Stevo
Hmm. City apparently looking like releasing Ireland, Bridge, and the Elephant Man according to the DF.

Lescott for leftback? Could look past his Everton days and slide him in there to be honest. Solid fullback who is a decent header of the ball too. Would prefer him to Bridge, massively so.

He's not really a LB though is he? He'd prefer to be a CB.

And since they bought him for £20mil+, I dont think he'd be available on the cheap.

Wonder whats going on with Insua, its dragging out a fair bit :s-smilie:
Santa Cruz on loan for a season as cover to Torres?
Reply 266
sarforaz
Santa Cruz on loan for a season as cover to Torres?

Is that to cover him in the physio room?
meskell
Is that to cover him in the physio room?

:hmmm:

I want the season to start already!
Reply 268
sarforaz
:hmmm:

I want the season to start already!

:mmm:

Same here! Pre-season just makes it worse as the standard of the matches are so ridiculously poor!

How many friendlies have we got left before the opening day? As the senior players haven't even been on the pitch together yet.
meskell
:mmm:

Same here! Pre-season just makes it worse as the standard of the matches are so ridiculously poor!

How many friendlies have we got left before the opening day? As the senior players haven't even been on the pitch together yet.

29 July - Rabotnicki Skopje (A) - qualifier
1 August - Borussia M'gladbach (A) - friendly
5 August - Rabotnicki Skopje (H) - qualifier

15 August - Arsenal (H) - premier league starts :woo:
gah....can't wait for the new season to kick off.
Reply 271
sarforaz
29 July - Rabotnicki Skopje (A) - qualifier
1 August - Borussia M'gladbach (A) - friendly
5 August - Rabotnicki Skopje (H) - qualifier

15 August - Arsenal (H) - premier league starts :woo:

I've never known us to have so few friendlies! Although I suppose the two qualifiers are basically friendlies tbh.
Do they expect Torres to be fit for the start of the season?
Just looking at the start of the season and we have a horrific start! :frown:

Can see us picking up as few as 4 points from the first 5 games..
meskell
I've never known us to have so few friendlies! Although I suppose the two qualifiers are basically friendlies tbh.

One got rained off and I guess with so many players still on holiday, it makes little sense to waste time just fielding youth/reserve players.

Ugh dont say that about the qualifiers! The embarrassment if we lost :eek:
meskell
x

I havent finished my LPC yet :frown:
Real Madrid midfielder Rafael van der Vaart has revealed he would find it difficult to ignore an offer to join one of England's top teams.

The Dutchman has slipped down the pecking order at the Santiago Bernabeu and speculation suggests he could be set to embark on a new challenge.

There is reportedly strong interest from the Premier League and Van der Vaart is aware of the transfer talk.

He understands that a couple of major clubs are keepings tabs on his situation and says the prospect of such a switch does sound appealing.

"I have heard of the interest from Liverpool and Chelsea - and that is very flattering," Van der Vaart told the Daily Star Sunday.

"If either of them were willing to offer me first-team football, I will be honest that it would be very hard for me to not listen to what they had to say.

"I think I have the relationship with Madrid where they understand my position and would let me hold talks.

"I expect the majority of transfers to be concluded in the next two weeks, and if Chelsea or Liverpool wanted to talk with me I would at the very least listen to what they have to say.

"They are both giants, and if they could offer first-team football it may prove impossible to turn down."

Van der Vaart, 27, maintains that he still enjoys life with Madrid but feels the priority for him at this stage of his career is to play more regularly.

"Real Madrid is the most prestigious club in the world and I am happy here and also in Spain, but I am at the age where I have to be playing first-team football," he explained.

"I am getting to the point where I will be hitting my peak years and I need to spend those years at a club where I will be playing regularly.

"The boss knows how much he plans to use me, and if he is willing to listen to offers for me."

Van der Vaart added that if he was deemed surplus to requirements at Madrid, then England would be his ideal destination.

"I wouldn't be willing to play for any clubs in Spain out of respect for Madrid, so in my eyes the only other place to go would be the Premier League," he stated.

"It's the only league that competes with the standard of La Liga."

Is there any way we could fit him in? :frown:
Reply 276
I think the way he would play is if we played him behind the striker, Cole on the left and Gerrard next to Mascherano/Lucas in the middle. VDV has been one of my favourite players for many many years but his injury problems would more than likely not make him cost effective when you think we have Torres, Aquilani and Cole who are pretty injury prone in attack.

However, saying that, if we can get him for ~£6m with no impact on another striker and two left backs then I would be estatic.
meskell
I think the way he would play is if we played him behind the striker, Cole on the left and Gerrard next to Mascherano/Lucas in the middle. VDV has been one of my favourite players for many many years but his injury problems would more than likely not make him cost effective when you think we have Torres, Aquilani and Cole who are pretty injury prone in attack.

However, saying that, if we can get him for ~£6m with no impact on another striker and two left backs then I would be estatic.

Where would Aquilani play?

..............Torres.......
....J.Cole...VDV...Gerrard..
.....Aquilani...Lucas..

:awesome:
Reply 278
sarforaz
Where would Aquilani play?

..............Torres.......
....J.Cole...VDV...Gerrard..
.....Aquilani...Lucas..

:awesome:

Thats what I would like to see if Gerrard could be roped into playing out there :mmm:

Aquilani, Cole, VDV and Gerrard would be able to rotate as they each get an injury :sigh:
meskell
Thats what I would like to see if Gerrard could be roped into playing out there :mmm:

Aquilani, Cole, VDV and Gerrard would be able to rotate as they each get an injury :sigh:

Tbh we need more of a play maker than another attacking midfielder.

Latest