The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
Feedback
I've just graduated from Lancaster with a first in Geography so if anyone has any questions about the department please ask!

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to do Geography. I've no speciifc questions but would be interested in your general views of the department and course, good and bad points, things to watch out for, tips on how to do well (as you did - congratualtions!) etc etc.

Thanks.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
The course - at least first year - has changed quite a bit since I was a first year. I think you have to do some of the maths and statistics stuff that I did in first year.

Generally, the courses are pretty good and well taught and the lecturers are all pretty cool (there are a few exceptions but I'll let you find those out for yourself!)

The undergraduate secretaries aren't always the most helpful people in the world - and that's when you can find them! They tend to do things which makes life easier for them, ignoring the consequences for students, in my experience. e.g. bringing forward coursework deadline times so they never have to stay late!

Tips for doing well:

Do a reasonable amount of work in your first year. You only need 45% to continue to 2nd year but the first year forms a foundation for the rest of your degree and it will save you some reading later on!

Try to treat your degree as a 9 'til 5 job - or at least 10 'til 4! That way you wont have to work in to the wee hours or lose your weekends catching up with work.

Go out! I was told by Phil Barker (head of Part II which is 2nd and 3rd years) in all his wisdom that to get a 1st I'd pretty much have to give up my social life. That just isn't true. If anything, having something outside of your degree helps you by taking your mind off it for a while. Believe me, degrees are very stressful but by doing your degree and nothing else you will only stress yourself out more.

Do as much as you can at uni - join a society or two, sign up to write for Scan, be a student rep, make lots of friends and have fun!
Reply 3
i'm studying geography aswell, i'm quite enjoing the lectures so far :smile: Thanks for the advice! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending