Cambridge
UCL
Imperial
LSE

*This is my opinion*

So all the extremely rich people are also smart? FML
In2deep
:lolwut:

Imperial, UCL, LSE, King's, Southampton and Manchester to mention a few unis are all places where the chances of finding such people are quiet relatively low.

Yep, and UWE and Oxford Brookes are hardly stellar. The rich are variously intelligent. I'm old enough to remember a time when getting into university was properly difficult and the best place to find lady-rahs* would have been (particular) secretarial colleges.

London universities perhaps dodge the bullet because so many rahs are from London and so would sooner not go to university there.

*then called 'Sloane-Rangers', you'll thrill to know.
Can I just point out most of these universities everyone has mentioned are pretty prestigious. So really it shouldn't matter about the people there but the education you're receiving. All this rah talk is silly. It's snobbery really; which is rather ironic. You're generalising these people. Come on people; we're in the 21st century, class war is a little old fashioned, don't you think?

Personally I don't care about the percentage of rahs at a university, I only care that I'm going to get the very best from my education. There are good and bad of all people. Yes, some public school people are like that but we can't generalise them all. Alot of our best loved celebrities were privately educated. Alot of our great minds are privately educated too. They're not all sporting jack wills and pashminas. And even if they were, would you doubt them any less. It should be about peoples personality, their intelligence, how they act around friends; not what they wear and their social backgrounds.

Sorry if I've offended anyone by this. I was bullied for a long time for apparently being too "posh", so I hate people generalising other people like this. I was only bullied because I had a different accent, imagine if I'd have had all the supposed rah characteristics.
Reply 63
LittleMissDramaQueen
x

...says the Drama queen.
Reply 64
Rock 'n' Roll
Which unis are the most RAH in your opinion?

The unis that speing to my mind are Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Exeter, Newcastle.

Edinburgh, I've met 4 Scottish people since I arrived here.
Reply 65
angrydanmarin
Newcastle? Leeds? Counsel houses spring to mind...not teapots and silver service

Funnily enough, not all of the areas are littered counsel (sic) houses. They also have plenty of middle class areas.

The universities are also located in the attractive city centres, with student areas being in wealthy and leafy suburbs.

So a student at Newcastle will go to university in the attractive city centre, travel home to leafy Jesmond (with its expensive houses, bars and restaurants) and have nothing to do with the deprived areas of the city like Elswick or Scotswood. They can go about in their own bubble of wealthy studentdom for three years or more.

Universities like Leeds and Newcastle, traditional universities/rebbricks in major cities will always attract a middle class student body.

Unless the uni's are different

A university can be very different to what its city is like demographically. Oxford is, historically at least, a working class city.

Newcastle is the "in" and fashionable city. Good party life, relatively attractive city centre (and university -around the quad particularly). Very popular with Harrow students which isn't suprising. Looks a little like Harrow in my opinion. Because of this it became the "in" university as well. Like Nottingham was 10 years ago, or Manchester before it. Leeds has a similar status.

There will always be this cycle of fashionable cities and, when a city is fashionable, it gets an increase in applications. For universities like Leeds and Newcastle who aready had a strong, middle class student body...
Reply 66
I don't get it, i'm from newcastle and would never of thought of rich people going for newcastle university. I can't say i've noticed alot of rahs, more charvs than anything.
tig ol bitties
Why do people care? They don't.

Because it upsets other when they talk about their daddy jetting them off to new zealand for the weekend, while he attends to his multi-billion dollar business
I had to google what rah is :getmecoat:
Reply 69
goatshed
I don't get it, i'm from newcastle and would never of thought of rich people going for newcastle university. I can't say i've noticed alot of rahs, more charvs than anything.

As I've said, Newcastle has always had a high afflluent middle class/affluent intake (as all universities have)

Fifteen years ago this was the case, although the "Rah" types weren't as noticeable. But during the past 10 years, with Newcastle becoming and increasingly fashionable city, it has balooned. It got to the point that Newcastle was the most popular destination for Harrow students. I believe it has now slipped to third.

It has a higher private intake than univerisities of a similar standard (eg. redbricks like Leeds, Sheffield or Liverpool).

Nottingham was the same ten years ago, but has fallen slightly in popularity, as Newcastle probably will do. There are also cycles. Although a strong middle class intake will still remain.

You think the student population is more charvs than rahs? Local population doesn't equal university population and the local population of the city centre, Jesmond or Heaton aren't what I'd call charvs anyway. More middle class professionals. YUPPIES and DINKIES!

Lol, love these terms....
Seriously, what are wrong with rahs? Much rather go to a rah university than a chav university.

I like the supposed rah universities. :smile:

Out of interest, why isn't York mentioned? I always used to think that was quite rah. :s-smilie:
Reply 71
I'm glad Southampton doesn't seem to be on these lists :smile:
Exeter, never have I seen so many Jack wills Gilets in one day, in my life :sigh:
muffingg
Extremely Rah
Oxford
Cambridge
UCL
Imperial
LSE

Rah
Bristol
Bath
Loughborough
Durham
Exeter
St Andrews

*This is my opinion*

:rofl: serious? We are 60% chinese. I am also the 2nd most posh person I know. And neither of use go round in A&F, I don't even own any :wink:

Exeter is far worse than us.
LittleMissDramaQueen
Can I just point out most of these universities everyone has mentioned are pretty prestigious. So really it shouldn't matter about the people there but the education you're receiving. All this rah talk is silly. It's snobbery really; which is rather ironic. You're generalising these people. Come on people; we're in the 21st century, class war is a little old fashioned, don't you think?

Personally I don't care about the percentage of rahs at a university, I only care that I'm going to get the very best from my education. There are good and bad of all people. Yes, some public school people are like that but we can't generalise them all. Alot of our best loved celebrities were privately educated. Alot of our great minds are privately educated too. They're not all sporting jack wills and pashminas. And even if they were, would you doubt them any less. It should be about peoples personality, their intelligence, how they act around friends; not what they wear and their social backgrounds.

Sorry if I've offended anyone by this. I was bullied for a long time for apparently being too "posh", so I hate people generalising other people like this. I was only bullied because I had a different accent, imagine if I'd have had all the supposed rah characteristics.

It depends. As a bit of harmless fun I enjoy all the stereotyping. But then I probably a closet rah (in some aspects I am but in others less so)

Anyone who goes to a uni simply because of the stereotypes is insane.
River85
As I've said, Newcastle has always had a high afflluent middle class/affluent intake (as all universities have)

Fifteen years ago this was the case, although the "Rah" types weren't as noticeable. But during the past 10 years, with Newcastle becoming and increasingly fashionable city, it has balooned. It got to the point that Newcastle was the most popular destination for Harrow students. I believe it has now slipped to third.

It has a higher private intake than univerisities of a similar standard (eg. redbricks like Leeds, Sheffield or Liverpool).

Nottingham was the same ten years ago, but has fallen slightly in popularity, as Newcastle probably will do. There are also cycles. Although a strong middle class intake will still remain.

You think the student population is more charvs than rahs? Local population doesn't equal university population and the local population of the city centre, Jesmond or Heaton aren't what I'd call charvs anyway. More middle class professionals. YUPPIES and DINKIES!

Lol, love these terms....

These universities have similar standards in terms of what?
Durham, Bristol, Exeter and Bath are the first unis that spring to mind. And then other unis such as Nottingham and big city ones might have a significant amount, but the ones with the most would be ones like the first four I mentioned, I'd have thought.
Reply 77
xxxchrisxxx
These universities have similar standards in terms of what?

All Russell Group universities. Comparable size. Traditional, "big city universities" and approximately the same academic standard (it's difficult to compare universities but the difference between the vast majority of the Russell Group universities is negligible).

All in former industrial cities (which ties in with my "big city" point).

Do you agree?
Reply 78
FootPrints
Really, Newcastle? My friend's going there in September...she will not like this :rofl:

so am I hopefully. is it rah now coz of Princess thingy? we do have a lot of private schools kids who go there but I 've found them all decent and not really rah at all
River85
All Russell Group universities. Comparable size. Traditional, "big city universities" and approximately the same academic standard (it's difficult to compare universities but the difference between the vast majority of the Russell Group universities is negligible).

All in former industrial cities (which ties in with my "big city" point).

Do you agree?

You should have used the phrase 'comparable universities' instead of 'similar standard', because you are discussing some of the country's finest academic institutions and therefore risk feeding into the idea that there are many tiers amongst our universities.

Perhaps apart from Oxbridge and arguably ICL and LSE, the cluster of top 25-30 universities are virtually indistinguishable from each other in terms of academic standards. Some are marginally more difficult to enter than other, but in terms of research and academic rigour, they are about the same.

Quick Reply

Latest