The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SciFiBoy
this^

homepathy is not called medicine for the very reason that it is not, its ********.

dont believe me?

watch Richard Dawkins show on it, he completley destroys any arguments in favour of it.

Even if people are only going to use it for personal use? now that is insane. If someone wants to believe the the mystical juju berry when diluted to the point there would be less than 1 molecule in the pacific that is fine by me. Just don't give it out as a freebie on the NHS.
Reply 21
crazylemon
I tell them I think it is snake oil. Samer or those people who swallow horse size pills of vitamin C. After that I leave it to them. They want to give the nice man at boots some money to believe it works better than placebo go for it. It does have the benefit it actually has a placebo effect on them cause they think it works.

But vitamin C taste great. :frown:
crazylemon
Even if people are only going to use it for personal use? now that is insane. If someone wants to believe the the mystical juju berry when diluted to the point there would be less than 1 molecule in the pacific that is fine by me. Just don't give it out as a freebie on the NHS.

if people want to waste time and money on it then fine, but of course, it should not be on the NHS.
Aphotic Cosmos
People who believe in homeopathy should be automatically labelled as clinically psychotic. There is no need to argue with them, they are insane.

Kinda like religious folk, no?
Reply 24
John Lord
Hey guys, I expect to get flamed to helll for this post, but here goes:

Placebo has shown to be effective ONLY for pain relief in several reliable trials. Homeopathic medicines have shown the same thing i.e. the won't actually 'fix' a broken leg or cancer, but they can reduce pain. In the case of homeopathic medicins though, some experiments have shown that they have stronger effects than placebo (i'm not certain on this, but I think at least some of these were carried out by groups or were not unbiased or even anti-homeopathy and in at least one case by some VERY reputed scientists). Some of these people argue that while we don't know how homeopathic medicines work, they seem to work (at least to some extent) in many cases. I have never tried homerpathic medice and i'm not attempting to defend or attack it, i'm just reporting what I have read about it. Homeopathy could be the 'dark matter' of medice i.e. we can see the effects, but we can't see it.

*Flame shield activated*

Yes, some perople 'argue that while we don't know how homeopathic medicines work, they seem to work'. This argument is easy to falsify: homeopathic medicines do *not* work. There is no good study showing that they do. There are many good studies showing that they don't.

It's easy to say 'they work, deal with it', but harder to face the reality that...they don't, there's no evidence, saying it doesn't make it true.
Reply 25
imgaysowhat
This is from a reader comment on the BBC:

How do you argue with people like this? I just had an argument with my mum regarding homeopathy. She used countless fallacies and would just not listen, including:
"Thousands of doctors in Germany prescribe it" [Appeal to authority]
"Conventional medicine got X, Y, Z wrong, so why should conventional medicine be able to falsify homeopathy?"

She even argued that while through the dilution process no trace of the medicine remains, the "energy" [sic] of the medicine remains. I am just shocked to see such leaps of faith in people's arguments.

As a last comic entry, let us hear Dr. Werner explain homeopathy.

I think we should stick to traditional invasive medicine but there is nothing wrong with trying alternative remedies. My mum stop using her insulin for three months and started drinking camel milk- as in my country it is used as alternative medicine- and it seemed to get rid of her type 2 diabetes, I disagree with staunch homeopaths but people who are dogmatically, wholeheartedly against it, too.
Reply 26
and also i have no issue with its being used next to prescribed medicine, but using it alone is very dangerous, my mum tried to do that to solve her liver condition and 95% of her liver is now not working...
Reply 27
Ewan
Why do you care? Let people believe what they want.

That's the thing, I wouldn't have a problem with it if I didn't think it was so dangerous. The treatments themselves aren't dangerous, but if you use homeopathic treatments in the place of medical treatments which are known to work, it can put your life at risk. Fortunately most people in Europe and the USA who use homeopathy would have the brains to go to their doctor or hospital if it got serious. However some groups of people have gone to the extent of finding poor African villages and setting up homeopathy schools and the like, and telling people that they can use it as a treatment for HIV/AIDS and malaria in the place of conventional treatments. It's sick... if it was just a case of people believing what they want then I wouldn't care, but it's beginning to go too far.
Reply 28
MJlover
I think we should stick to traditional invasive medicine but there is nothing wrong with trying alternative remedies. My mum stop using her insulin for three months and started drinking camel milk- as in my country it is used as alternative medicine- and it seemed to get rid of her type 2 diabetes, I disagree with staunch homeopaths but people who are dogmatically, wholeheartedly against it, too.

Your mother is lucky to be alive.
Reply 29
Refer them to Mr. Goldacre.

Ewan
Why do you care? Let people believe what they want.

Because wealthy homeopathic companies have pushed homepoathy in a number of African countries as an alternative to antiretroviral drugs and conventional medicine. The most famous being the (former) South African president Thabo Mbeki's AIDS denial - leading to the deaths of thousands (some say that in the long term it could reach a million - via mother to child transmission, the chain reaction effect and so on). Domestically Homeopaths are often exploiting the weak and vulnreble - i.e. the terminally ill, simply to line their own pockets.
Reply 30
nuodai
That's the thing, I wouldn't have a problem with it if I didn't think it was so dangerous. The treatments themselves aren't dangerous, but if you use homeopathic treatments in the place of medical treatments which are known to work, it can put your life at risk. Fortunately most people in Europe and the USA who use homeopathy would have the brains to go to their doctor or hospital if it got serious. However some groups of people have gone to the extent of finding poor African villages and setting up homeopathy schools and the like, and telling people that they can use it as a treatment for HIV/AIDS and malaria in the place of conventional treatments. It's sick... if it was just a case of people believing what they want then I wouldn't care, but it's beginning to go too far.

Ah, beat me to it :yy:
Reply 31
nuodai

I was referring to Joe Blogs who acts like it's his duty to try and save you. I find it as annoying as those atheist pricks that decide they need to convert you to their point of view. They're even more annoying than the religious fanatics!

Organ

Meh it's like all those things: people who say they can talk to the dead, priests saying they can cure people for donations, tribal shamans in Africa. Part of the fight is psychological, and if these methods can help in some way to calm peoples spirits then that makes them useful.

I don't think you should be telling people homeopathy is useless, or that you shouldn't use it. The key point is it shouldn't be used in replacement of conventional medicine. We shouldn't be trying to outlaw unconventional medicine, it can run alongside conventional medicine perfectly fine provided people are educated.
Reply 32
Read Bad Science.
Reply 33
Ewan
I was referring to Joe Blogs who acts like it's his duty to try and save you. I find it as annoying as those atheist pricks that decide they need to convert you to their point of view. They're even more annoying than the religious fanatics!

Meh it's like all those things: people who say they can talk to the dead, priests saying they can cure people for donations, tribal shamans in Africa. Part of the fight is psychological, and if these methods can help in some way to calm peoples spirits then that makes them useful.

I don't think you should be telling people homeopathy is useless, or that you shouldn't use it. The key point is it shouldn't be used in replacement of conventional medicine. We shouldn't be trying to outlaw unconventional medicine, it can run alongside conventional medicine perfectly fine provided people are educated.

I don't really see where religion comes into this, or what fight you're talking about, but I agree with your last paragraph (particularly the bolded bits).
Reply 34
agolati
Agreed.

So I agree that it is the placebo effect, but the fact is, that works. So there's no need to stop homeopathic medicine.

Wrong.

You're letting people waste millions (in the UK alone, it's estimated at £40m/yr) of money on crap that doesn't work. That's fine. What's not fine is that that money is going to charlatans or the delusional: it thereby works either to make active deception handsomely profitable, or to legitimise and reinforce the disconnection from reality that is so dangerous in this world.

In effect, we should either specifically offer people placebo pills and charge them production costs, or we should, if the placebo effect requires credulity, simply come up with a cheaper method of reproducing homeopathy. Wasting time, money, resources and human intellect on all this water dilution ******** seems a tad stupid to me: let's get the same effect, cheaper.
Reply 35
imgaysowhat
As a last comic entry, let us hear Dr. Werner explain homeopathy.

That it completely hilarious :biggrin: a good mix of physics, biology and ******** :smile:
Reply 36
nuodai
I don't really see where religion comes into this, or what fight you're talking about, but I agree with your last paragraph (particularly the bolded bits).

Religion can be used like a placebo. Asking a priest to pray for you is the same as going to a homeopath and asking him to give you some medicine.

There are religious fanatics that would rather rely on god to save them than conventional medicine. We need to educate these people that faith shouldn't be used as a replacement. We don't need to tell them not to have faith (and to be honest I think that would just cause more fanaticism anyway).
Reply 37
Someone should set up a company selling a placebo, marketing it as homoeopathy, and using the profits to fund science-based medicine. Give the bastards some competition. The problem is normal people have morals. But maybe the usual feel-better magicpotion which won't be used in place of proper medicine won't be so bad..
Homeopaths should be boiled up, packed into their stupid pills and blasted towards the moon.
Ben Goldacre writes a column called "Bad Science" for the Guardian, and has a website and book to go along with it. This article talks about all the flaws and possible explanations of homeopathy.

"Homeopathic remedies are made by taking an ingredient, such as arsenic, and diluting it down so far that there is not a single molecule left in the dose that you get. The ingredients are selected on the basis of like cures like, so that a substance that causes sweating at normal doses, for example, would be used to treat sweating.

The typical dilution is called “30C”: this means that the original substance has been diluted by 1 drop in 100, 30 times. A 30C homeopathic preparation is a dilution of 1 in 100^30, or rather 1 in 10^60, which means a 1 followed by 60 zeroes, or let’s be absolutely clear a dilution of 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000."

It's a really good book, I'd recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the sort of science you see all the time in the media.

Latest

Trending

Trending