The Student Room Group

Considering a backup plan

Having just finished year 12, I am at the stage of visiting universities, writing my personal statement, etc.
Being very aware, from the media and friends in the years above, of the lack of offers being made to even very highly achieving students, I have recently been considering what I would do for a year if I had to defer, ie. au pairing abroad.
However, when I mentioned this to my parents, they were v.v. angry, and told me I was stupid for even considering the possibility that I might not get an offer. They insist that because they both went to unis (over 30 years ago) they are experts on the subject, and are 100% certain a place will be easy to come by.
I'm all for optimism, and I know that I'm a strong candidate, but I also think I'm being realistic. Any thoughts to help me explain this to my parents? :confused:
Reply 1
it is right to have a back up plan. there were too many people given places whn i applied so they asked if i was happy to defer it for a year, which i agreed to as that way i was more likely to get in than refusing to defer and maybe not get accepted. i wish i had had a better back up plan though, as i wanted to get a job to save some money but that hasnt happened due to a lack of jobs and my lack of experiance so i just volunteered at my local hospital for 6 months.

i would look into being an au pair or experiance doing something abroad, but in the field of what you want to do at uni. expain that its just a back up and will give you extra experiance that may be handy when you go to uni, as there are a lack of places and it doesnt mean you dont think youll get in, you just want a back up should the worst happen. either that or look into it while you apply and wait to hear from them and just dont tell your parents, then if you dont get in you can tell them what youve planned to do instead.

Latest