The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Incompetent government management should simply be removed entirely by privatising all schools.
Tax rises are a definite thing which we could be seeing more of.

Can you believe it that already through this Government I've seen one part of my tax bill that will drop soon. I don't need to be seeing tax cuts of any sort in a time like this. The only people who should see tax cuts are those most in need - those on the lowest earnings. So the idea of adjusting income tax boundaries like they did was stupid as it gave tax drops to the middle income people and as well as the really rich. It should have just been something for the poorest people (so a tax credit or similar, rather than a rise in the tax threshold for ALL people - explain to me why, in a time of needing to reduce a deficit that it's justifable to give the superrich and even moderately rich a tax break? I'd rather everyone of the 20-30 million workers in this country pay the extra £100 or so in tax and have to cut less spending than see a blanket drop for all people, resulting in less money for the Government to spend.

Also, the Government seem to have forgotten several things with their cut cut cut mentality. If they cut public spending, they will cut the number of people employed in the public sector. This will lead to fewer people in work as there just are not the jobs around at the moment.

Thus you'll have to pay more people unemployment benefits, increasing spending. But wait, fewer people in jobs means less tax. So we have more spending and less money to spend. So we run the risk of needing to borrow more or essentially leave these people who the Government have made unemployed to fend for themselves without help as we don't have the money to help them.

Plus fewer people in work mean fewer people with money to spend, which means businesses take less and suffer more and end up with lower profits. Thus we do not see the economy growing as we need and we head back in to recession.

This is all put very simply above, but see now why people fear for what this Government are doing. Their actions are probably going to lead us down a route back in to recession where we have more unemployed, lower tax revenues, more need for spending. It's not the superrich people in Government who will suffer, it's the ordinary people and those most in need. The Government are fine, most being millionaires. If everything goes wrong they resign/get voted out and then go live off their fortunues (many of which inherited it, rather than trhough hard work). But it's the rest of us who suffer, the poor, the families, the old, the ill, sick, the unemployed, children, students, single parents, the low paid workers.

But why am I suprised by this? I'm not. It's what the Tories do. I just wish more people realised this before they voted for them.
Reply 22
RK
Tax rises are a definite thing which we could be seeing more of.

Can you believe it that already through this Government I've seen one part of my tax bill that will drop soon. I don't need to be seeing tax cuts of any sort in a time like this. The only people who should see tax cuts are those most in need - those on the lowest earnings. So the idea of adjusting income tax boundaries like they did was stupid as it gave tax drops to the middle income people and as well as the really rich. It should have just been something for the poorest people (so a tax credit or similar, rather than a rise in the tax threshold for ALL people - explain to me why, in a time of needing to reduce a deficit that it's justifable to give the superrich and even moderately rich a tax break? I'd rather everyone of the 20-30 million workers in this country pay the extra £100 or so in tax and have to cut less spending than see a blanket drop for all people, resulting in less money for the Government to spend.

Also, the Government seem to have forgotten several things with their cut cut cut mentality. If they cut public spending, they will cut the number of people employed in the public sector. This will lead to fewer people in work as there just are not the jobs around at the moment.

Thus you'll have to pay more people unemployment benefits, increasing spending. But wait, fewer people in jobs means less tax. So we have more spending and less money to spend. So we run the risk of needing to borrow more or essentially leave these people who the Government have made unemployed to fend for themselves without help as we don't have the money to help them.

Plus fewer people in work mean fewer people with money to spend, which means businesses take less and suffer more and end up with lower profits. Thus we do not see the economy growing as we need and we head back in to recession.

This is all put very simply above, but see now why people fear for what this Government are doing. Their actions are probably going to lead us down a route back in to recession where we have more unemployed, lower tax revenues, more need for spending. It's not the superrich people in Government who will suffer, it's the ordinary people and those most in need. The Government are fine, most being millionaires. If everything goes wrong they resign/get voted out and then go live off their fortunues (many of which inherited it, rather than trhough hard work). But it's the rest of us who suffer, the poor, the families, the old, the ill, sick, the unemployed, children, students, single parents, the low paid workers.

But why am I suprised by this? I'm not. It's what the Tories do. I just wish more people realised this before they voted for them.

exactly, and there are so many taxes that could have gone up without having much (if any) impact on those on low incomes, especially if they were coupled with an increase in benefits to countermand any detremental effects of the tax rises on the poor.
SciFiBoy
exactly, and there are so many taxes that could have gone up without having much (if any) impact on those on low incomes, especially if they were coupled with an increase in benefits to countermand any detremental effects of the tax rises on the poor.

Instead we get a VAT rise which hits the poor more than the rich (as apparently and suprisingly, a higher portion of the poorest people's income goes on paying VAT than that of a richer person).
Reply 24
RK
Instead we get a VAT rise which hits the poor more than the rich (as apparently and suprisingly, a higher portion of the poorest people's income goes on paying VAT than that of a richer person).

I know, it's crazy, they could have done so many other things instead, makes me mad that the government are doing this.

Latest

Trending

Trending