The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you have dell 1998? :dontknow:
Reply 2
yea what Oasis said...
Reply 3
Why did I read that as French knickers? :facepalm2: Something wrong with me today :sigh:
Reply 4
I thought 'vous etes' was 'you are' and 'vous avez' is 'you have'...could mean the same thing, makes more sense translating it as 'you have' anyway, one of those lost-in-translation mistakes.
Reply 5
SophieWofy
I thought 'vous etes' was 'you are' and 'vous avez' is 'you have'...could mean the same thing, makes more sense translating it as 'you have' anyway, one of those lost-in-translation mistakes.

On the translation website it came up with something like: Are you summer of dell 1998? Not sure, none of the suggestions so far seem to fit the context.
Reply 6
Chucklefiend
On the translation website it came up with something like: Are you summer of dell 1998? Not sure, none of the suggestions so far seem to fit the context.

it can't be summer as the 'e' on ete have no accents:p:

and why do you want to know it so badly?
Reply 7
Chucklefiend

What IS the context?
Reply 8
Doesn't mean anything.
There's one or more typo, context will help.
Reply 9
I imagine that by "ete" they meant "êtes" (i.e. 'you are') rather than "été" ('summer'). What context is this in? Because that just means "you are of Dell 1998" which doesn't make any sense in French or English... is there any more to the sentence?
Do you have a Dell 1998?
Reply 11
I think it's supposed to be "Vous êtes", so literally it translates as "Are you of Dell 1998?" So, I'd think it probably means what Oasis Jnr. said.
Reply 12
Even if it was "vous êtes", it still doesn't make sense. Hence why the context would help greatly.
Xurvi
Even if it was "vous êtes", it still doesn't make sense. Hence why the context would help greatly.

The context is two people who find out they went to the same school when they were kids and start having a conversation about old times. There is no mention of a computer or computers at any other point, so the whole 'dell' thing is really confusing :confused: :frown:
Reply 14
Chucklefiend
The context is two people who find out they went to the same school when they were kids and start having a conversation about old times. There is no mention of a computer or computers at any other point, so the whole 'dell' thing is really confusing :confused: :frown:

Oh! Perhaps Dell is a school. "De" can also mean "from", so it makes sense for it to mean "are you from Dell?" (i.e. did you graduate from Dell (the school) in 1998).
Chucklefiend
vous ete de Dell 1998?

I've tried using an online translator but it doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks and rep for the first person to give me an accurate translation of course :smile:

If you mean 'vous etes' that's 'you are', maybe in the context of computers then that would mean your computer is Dell 1998, but I can't say much about it.
Reply 16
Chucklefiend
The context is two people who find out they went to the same school when they were kids and start having a conversation about old times. There is no mention of a computer or computers at any other point, so the whole 'dell' thing is really confusing :frown:

I figured as much, the only context in which it would sort of make sense would be to say that somebody was working for Dell in 1998.
Dell could be a school, but I never heard of such a school, so if it is, it's probably some little primary school, not a uni or something.
Reply 17
Maybe it really means "Are you of Dell 1998?" and the person who said it wanted to ask the other person if they went to Dell scholl in 1998 or if they graduated it in 1998? Dell could be the name of that school, couldn't it?
Chucklefiend

Then if Dell is maybe a school, then they are asking if they come from the class of 1998 at Dell.
nuodai
Oh! Perhaps Dell is a school. "De" can also mean "from", so it makes sense for it to mean "are you from Dell?" (i.e. did you graduate from Dell (the school) in 1998).

You mean the is school called 'Dell'? That would make more sense.

Latest

Trending

Trending