The Student Room Group

deferring and changing course - HELP!

hi, i've applied for uni starting in sept at nottingham trent studying business management and accounting and finance. however im now thinking that i want to take a gap year, depending on my results, but im also want to change my course to a psychology joint honours degree at UWE or a uni closer to home (bristol). however im not 100% sure of what i want yet and i might even just end up deferring and going to nottingham trent anyway but at the moment im thinking i really want to do a psychology course but i dont know how this all works with UCAS and student finance (which ive already applied for)

do i need to apply again? and can i still apply again if i defer from notthingham trent?

do i have to cancel my UCAS for this year? can i do this although ive already firmed my place at nottingham trent?

im going to wait until results day to make a final decision but what ever decsion i make im nt sure on how to make it all happen via UCAS etc

thanks for any help given (+ rep available) :biggrin:
Reply 1
You cannot reapply while you hold an offer, even if that offer is deferred. In order to reapply for a different degree, you have to give up the offer from Nottingham.
If you want to change your course then contact the uni admissions and ask for there advice.
If you want to change uni then you will have to go through clearing.
Finally if you want to take a gap year you need to sort out what uni your going to and what course your doing then defer your place.

Why the change anyway?
Reply 3
Lizia
You cannot reapply while you hold an offer, even if that offer is deferred. In order to reapply for a different degree, you have to give up the offer from Nottingham.

thanks, i thought this might be the case

how would i drop my offer from nottingham? would i have to ring the uni up like i would if i was deferring or would i have to do something through UCAS?
Reply 4
Hanner_Spanner
thanks, i thought this might be the case

how would i drop my offer from nottingham? would i have to ring the uni up like i would if i was deferring or would i have to do something through UCAS?

I'm not certain, but I think there's an option somewhere on UCAS to withdraw your application. I think you just do that :smile:
Reply 5
Lizia
I'm not certain, but I think there's an option somewhere on UCAS to withdraw your application. I think you just do that :smile:

that sounds easy enough. . . do you know if i'd still be able to do that after i get my results and my offer is (hopefully) confirmed? also what would i do about accommodation as ive already the booking fee would i just be able to ring the uni to get them to refund it like i would if i deferred
Reply 6
Hanner_Spanner
that sounds easy enough. . . do you know if i'd still be able to do that after i get my results and my offer is (hopefully) confirmed? also what would i do about accommodation as ive already the booking fee would i just be able to ring the uni to get them to refund it like i would if i deferred

I think it gets more complicated after results day. From what I've heard, you'd have to call the uni and ask them to release you from your place. I wouldn't have thought they'd mind doing that, but it'll just be a hassle trying to get hold of them when everyone else is calling too.

I have no idea about the accommodation, I didn't go through that, and I expect it varies from uni to uni anyway.
Reply 7
Lizia
I think it gets more complicated after results day. From what I've heard, you'd have to call the uni and ask them to release you from your place. I wouldn't have thought they'd mind doing that, but it'll just be a hassle trying to get hold of them when everyone else is calling too.

I have no idea about the accommodation, I didn't go through that, and I expect it varies from uni to uni anyway.

thanks for the help :biggrin: im going to have to have a proper think about if im going to defer or withdraw my application
so it would be best to withdraw my application before results day from what you've said :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending