The Student Room Group

What should I do over the next two years to improve chances of getting into Uni?

Hi there,

I have currently just finished doing my GCSEs and am about to start year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Ideally I would like to study Economics at University and hopefully become an actuary after that.

I would like to know what sort of extra things can help my personal statement and just generally impress universities.

Here are my ideas at the moment:

Currently I am thinking about helping a local wildlife charity this summer and would like to do some actuary work experience during my A-levels. I can also enter a speaking competition at my school and talk about something to do with the degree I would like to do.

My holidays are pretty dull at the moment so I feel that I need to do something productive and your ideas would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Cheers x
Reply 1
Trizzle
Hi there,

I have currently just finished doing my GCSEs and am about to start year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Ideally I would like to study Economics at University and hopefully become an actuary after that.

I would like to know what sort of extra things can help my personal statement and just generally impress universities.

Currently I am thinking about helping a local wildlife charity this summer and would like to do some actuary work experience during my A-levels. I can also enter a speaking competition at my school and talk about something to do with the degree I would like to do.

My holidays are pretty dull at the moment so I feel that I need to do something productive and your ideas would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Cheers x

The Young enterprise award is good for economics, as well as any monetary related experience such as bank work.
Trizzle
Hi there,

Cheers x

I don't think they would care much about the wildlife charity. Actuary work experience and 'speaking competitions' sound like good ideas though. You could also consider taking up an Extended Project related to Economics, although that's effort . . .
Get over 90% ums on most of your exams, start reading books around your subject and get **** loads of workexperience.

To be honest if your applying for oxbridge then itss definately wise you start thinking about what you need to do now. For me, I decided to go for top unis quite late and realised i had no work experience! so its good to start early.

But most importantly grades.
Reply 4
Unkempt_One
I don't think they would care much about the wildlife charity. Actuary work experience and 'speaking competitions' sound like good ideas though. You could also consider taking up an Extended Project related to Economics, although that's effort . . .

That's the whole point!
Reply 5
Dude

I have the perfect example for you, haha...
A mate of mine, really solid bloke but not exactly AAA material, wanted to do economics at uni. Read the LSE prospectus in year 12 and saw a degree for acturial science, thought it'd be cool (and lucrative).

He applied for LSE, among other more realistic unis. A lot of very clever people at my school applied for LSE, and they all got rejected - except him. He was predicted BBBA and they made him an AAA offer! I asked him how he did it... and he showed me his personal statement, it kicked arse.
Turns out my mate had found the number of an actuary in the area, rang him up and asked for help... the guy invited him over to dinner with his family, gave him a reading list, told him what to write in his personal statement.

He pulled his finger out (obviously!), dropped sport and stopped going out, studied like a nutter and got AAAA. He's at LSE now going on ski holidays with his new super rich friends and living it up.

Do the research and you'll fly, dude. Extra-curricular activities and grades only get you so far, I've got straight As all the way through my school career and I did everything for my school, was a Youth MP, house captain, rugby team, all of that - and I got rejected from my top 3 unis because I wrote a crap personal statement. Would say this is the key thing.
Duckzilla
That's the whole point!

It's effort. Reading, on the other hand, isn't effort. Do plenty of reading as it is much good, and once you have much reading you will find interests in specific areas, which will give you things to talk about on your personal statement.
Reply 7
Unkempt_One
It's effort. Reading, on the other hand, isn't effort. Do plenty of reading as it is much good, and once you have much reading you will find interests in specific areas, which will give you things to talk about on your personal statement.

But the extended project is a good thing to do anyway, whatever degree people want to do in the future. The OP likes economics so an extended project probably wouldn't be as much of a drag, they will probably like doing it! I'm probably a tad biased about the extended project though because I've planned out my one I'm going to do about biology and I'm going to enjoy doing it. I do agree with your reading suggestions though.
sam.day
Dude

A mate of mine, really solid bloke but not exactly AAA material, wanted to do economics at uni. Read the LSE prospectus in year 12 and saw a degree for acturial science, thought it'd be cool (and lucrative).

He applied for LSE, among other more realistic unis. A lot of very clever people at my school applied for LSE, and they all got rejected - except him. He was predicted BBBA and they made him an AAA offer! I asked him how he did it... and he showed me his personal statement, it kicked arse.
Turns out my mate had found the number of an actuary in the area, rang him up and asked for help... the guy invited him over to dinner with his family, gave him a reading list, told him what to write in his personal statement.

He pulled his finger out (obviously!), dropped sport and stopped going out, studied like a nutter and got AAAA. He's at LSE now going on ski holidays with his new super rich friends and living it up.

Do the research and you'll fly, dude. Extra-curricular activities and grades only get you so far, I've got straight As all the way through my school career and I did everything for my school, was a Youth MP, house captain, rugby team, all of that - and I got rejected from my top 3 unis because I wrote a crap personal statement. Would say this is the key thing.

Wow, that is...just...wow! :shock:
Reply 9
Unkempt_One

What do you mean by extended project? Is there a qualification for this or...?

Also yeah I would like to do young enterprise, not sure if my school is still running it though :/

Thanks for the ideas guys, really really helpful! Keep them coming though :smile:
Trizzle

Also yeah I would like to do young enterprise, not sure if my school is still running it though :/

Thanks for the ideas guys, really really helpful! Keep them coming though :smile:

The extended project is an essay of 5,000 words about anything that really interests you. If you did an extended project on economics, you could write about lots of things beyond the A-level economics specification to show how much you like economics. As well as the essay you have to do a short presentation about your chosen subject to a group of people such as your teachers. It is a qualification that is equivalent to an AS level (a good equivalent that universities like, not one of these bad equivalents that you may have heard of). Some universities like Bristol occasionally give lower offers if you do well in the extended project. The extended project will get a Grade like A, B, C etc.
Reply 11
Trizzle

Yeah,it's worth half an A-Level& 70 UCAS points:yep: Apparently, it's is highly rated amongst uni's,but it will not be part of any potential offer,since it is not available to everyone.
Junaid16
Yeah,it's worth half an A-Level& 70 UCAS points:yep: Apparently, it's is highly rated amongst uni's,but it will not be part of any potential offer,since it is not available to everyone.

70 UCAS points PROVIDED you do well on it. It is quite respected by universities though. I quote this from the University of Cambridge prospectus:

"We welcome the introduction of the Extended Project and would encourage you to undertake one as it will help you develop independent study and research skills and ease the transition from school/college to higher education. However, completion of an Extended Project will not be a requirement of any offer made."

The last sentence is basically what Junaid said.
Reply 13
Hmm okay thanks guys, I'll have to ask my school's career advisor or whatever but yeah I'll look into that. Do you know if it worth actually e-mailing these universities to ask what extra they would like or is that an unwritten no-no?
Trizzle
Hmm okay thanks guys, I'll have to ask my school's career advisor or whatever but yeah I'll look into that. Do you know if it worth actually e-mailing these universities to ask what extra they would like or is that an unwritten no-no?

It wouldn't hurt to e-mail if you set up a new e-mail account using a fake name so they don't know who you are! They'll either give you some ideas or say they can't because they might be giving you an unfair advantage over other people. It can't hurt to try though!
sam.day
Dude

waowwwww i need his number! or email... :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending