The Student Room Group

Can anyone recommend a back-up option for Maths at University?

Hi,

So basically I'm applying to read Maths (G100) at uni for 2011 entry, and have pretty much sorted my first 4 choices for UCAS application in September, being: Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol and Bath in that order. But I'm unsure of where else to apply for as a safety option, with lower entry requirements than I'm predicted - which is A*A*A in Maths, F. Maths and Physics.

The only other universities I have looked at are Imperial, UCL and KCL, but I wasn't impressed by living in London, so they are out of the question. I live in the South East (near Gatwick) and want to live on Campus, but don't really want to travel much further than 3 hours away. So any ideas? :confused:

EDIT: By lower entry requirements I mean AAB and below
Reply 1
maclc001
Hi,

So basically I'm applying to read Maths (G100) at uni for 2011 entry, and have pretty much sorted my first 4 choices for UCAS application in September, being: Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol and Bath in that order. But I'm unsure of where else to apply for as a safety option, with lower entry requirements than I'm predicted - which is A*A*A in Maths, F. Maths and Physics.

The only other universities I have looked at are Imperial, UCL and KCL, but I wasn't impressed by living in London, so they are out of the question. I live in the South East (near Gatwick) and want to live on Campus, but don't really want to travel much further than 3 hours away. So any ideas? :confused:

I don't really know anything about maths at uni :p: but how about Reading?
Reply 2
Inner Poise
I don't really know anything about maths at uni :p: but how about Reading?

I'd never thought of that :s-smilie: ....Thanks for the advice :smile:
maclc001
So any ideas? :confused:

When I applied for maths, I had an insurance of York at ABB (because I had further maths; AAB without.) However, I believe they've since changed their requirements to AAB/AAA without further maths.
if you're predicted A*A*A*.. going for a AAB uni is a bit ridiculous. surely you're very confident of getting at least AAA

and have you considered durham? and why the whole 3 hour thing? its not like you'll be going home during term time
didgeridoo12uk
its not like you'll be going home during term time

Some people do. I have friends who went home every opportunity they could get.
TheSownRose
Some people do. I have friends who went home every opportunity they could get.

strange strange people. i dont think any of my friends did
i personally try to avoid it as much as possible. by my third and fourth year i hope to have it down to spending a week at home a year.
Reply 7
didgeridoo12uk
if you're predicted A*A*A*.. going for a AAB uni is a bit ridiculous. surely you're very confident of getting at least AAA

and have you considered durham? and why the whole 3 hour thing? its not like you'll be going home during term time

I'm very confident of achieving my target grades, it's just a question of whether or not I will get an offer for these universities (ie. Bristol reject half of candidates achieving AAA), bar Warwick which gives an offer to just about anyone (but it requires STEP).

And I guess it's just wanting to travel back home easily on the odd occasion (unless this is never needed during term time??).
didgeridoo12uk
strange strange people. i dont think any of my friends did
i personally try to avoid it as much as possible. by my third and fourth year i hope to have it down to spending a week at home a year.

Why is it strange? I never thought much about it...
TheSownRose
Why is it strange? I never thought much about it...

going back home is what holidays are for. terms are so short and packed full of stuff why on earth would you waste time back at home when you could be at uni.
didgeridoo12uk
going back home is what holidays are for. terms are so short and packed full of stuff why on earth would you waste time back at home when you could be at uni.

Knowing my friends, they don't actually want to be at uni, they just want to get a degree. :wink:
TheSownRose
Knowing my friends, they don't actually want to be at uni, they just want to get a degree. :wink:

oh dear :s

to most of us a degree is just a convenient byproduct of university.
Reply 12
maclc001
Hi,

check out surrey university.
didgeridoo12uk
oh dear :s

to most of us a degree is just a convenient byproduct of university.

Why oh dear? We all want different things from the experience, after all; if they just want to get in, do the work and have their 'life' elsewhere, I can't blame them. I'm the same.

Is the 'convenient byproduct of uni' a majority view, do you reckon?
Well Durham is a good university for Maths. As well as Lancaster, St Andrews and any others in my sig :smile: KCL did offer AAA for 2010 entry but i think it has gone up to A*AA now. Not too sure though.
Hope I have been of any help :smile:
TheSownRose
Why oh dear? We all want different things from the experience, after all; if they just want to get in, do the work and have their 'life' elsewhere, I can't blame them. I'm the same.

Is the 'convenient byproduct of uni' a majority view, do you reckon?

at university you're surrounded by thousands of people your own age, from all over the world with wildly different viewpoints on everything and anything. why would someone choose to work the whole time and not take advantage of that. its a pretty much once in a life time experience to meet lots of people, expand your views on everything, find and spend time with people with the same passions as you etc etc.

amongst my friends at uni i'd say its definitely the majority view. but there are plenty of people here who spend the whole time in their rooms working. i just completely fail to see the point
Reply 16
Thanks for all the ideas...and the insight into the point of university education and its 'by-products'.

Latest

Trending

Trending