The Student Room Group

Getting good referees!

Just wondering how you guys go about getting good references/referees for your resume.

I've just completed my formal CV to get into the workforce (I'll be graduating from a BSc majoring in biology, psychology and sociology in November this year), but not sure who to choose for references?? :confused:

I don't really know exactly what they want, but I assume when they're (employers) looking for a professional referee they mean someone who knows me, say a lecturer from uni? Coz I don't think my boss who I work for in promotions right now will be any use! :wink: :p: It's like, she'll go 'well she does some modelling...' :rolleyes:

Um NO.

Also information on how I did with waitressing couldn't be all that useful either, so I'm assuming that getting a reference from a university lecturer will be the way to go.

But from which one? A biology or sociology lecturer? *Is confused*

Thanks,

Danni xox
Reply 1
Get one from both of em, and select the best one
Reply 2
Get one from both of em, and select the best one
But I don't know which one will give me a better reference :confused: Also the science lecturer who I wanted to be a referee for me is away for a week :mad: how annoying! :biggrin: Has to be in by tomorrow, perhaps I should email her?

Or just get a ref. from sociology for now?
Reply 3
danni_bella83
But I don't know which one will give me a better reference :confused: Also the science lecturer who I wanted to be a referee for me is away for a week :mad: how annoying! :biggrin: Has to be in by tomorrow, perhaps I should email her?

Or just get a ref. from sociology for now?

Which class did you do better in or which lecturer do you feel knows you better?

As they are the lecturer that are most likely to give the better reference :smile: .
Reply 4
I think it's conventional to have at least 2 (sometimes 3 depending on the job) referees so I'd say go for a university lecturer (anyone who knows you well enough to say "yeah, she'll be a good employee" - email people if need be) and I'd try and get an employment referee too. Just because you don't want to apply for a job in waitressing doesn't mean you should discount the idea of getting a reference from your boss for that - if they know you reasonably well then that's fine. I believe a large part of references is about skills/personality anyway - the company will already have decided if they think you're qualified to do the job and by the time they get to references will probably be looking more for "She's a great team worker/independent worker/other buzz words implying you're a great person"!
Jenn xx
Reply 5
niamhster
Which class did you do better in or which lecturer do you feel knows you better?

As they are the lecturer that are most likely to give the better reference :smile: .
Thanks hun, well I'm allowed three referees now so will use both my science and sociology links, plus a professional link as Jenn has kindly suggested :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending