The Student Room Group

University help

Hi,

I have a problem with my university which has been going on for some time now, im not really sure where to start but i dont know what to do or who to turn to its really depressing me.

Basically im in my final year and the 5th year at the same university studying the same course and i am in my final year of registration you are allowed to study a degree for 5 years maximum.

My problems started in my 3rd year which was then my final year, i was experiencing severe personal problems which prevented me from completing my final year, i applied for extenuating circumstances which was granted and i was allowed to resit modules the following year, although i did manage to complete a few modules with low grades.

In the 4th year at university all my modules were running in semester 2 i was studying 9 modules in one semester, i dont know why i was allowed to do this someone should have said something but i thought i could do it and tried to complete all the modules. A few months into the semester i really started to struggle and confronted my tutor and explained i was having problems keeping up with all the modules. I was reffered to an associate dean and we decided to apply for extenuating circumstances agian, which were denied at first, so i decided to do as much as i can in the first exam period eventhough i didnt revise for any exams or do any work for the assignment because the whole extenuating circumstances period took a while. After i had completed a few exams and assignments a few weeks later i was told the extenuating circumstances were accepted and when i enquired about this they stated it was a mistake it should have been denied then they said it should have been accepted very confusing i know.

Agian i went to the associate dean and stated what had happened and took the case to the student office who were dealing with the extenuating circumstances who were not helpfull at all.

In my 5th year i was given extenuating circumstances agian for all my modules that i had not passed but this it was done unofficially as the university regulations would not allow me to get extenuating circumstances but because the student office had messed up and i shouldnt have been allowed to do 9 modules in one semester they had to work around the system.

I have managed to complete everything this year except one exam which i did do in the resit week but i failed. I have been told i have failed therefore i would be classed as non honours degree and i wouldnt have the right to resit the exam due to me being at the end of my registration period.

I have worked hard to get the results and the student office have caused me so many problems!! i was wondering if anyone does know of a free legal department who could help me with this or any advise will be appreciated, i dont deserve a non honours degree of one exam i should have the right to re-sit.
When you say the student office, is that some admin people, or the student union? I'd contact the SU for some help.
Reply 2
The student office is the department which handles all the grades and publishes the results they deal with student querys along with the enrolement and extenuating circumstances.

Im not sure about the Student Union as they are part of the university so i think they would side with the university more. i dont really know how student unions work, can you please explain how they work?
Reply 3
Free legal advice isn't likely to help if the university regulations say you have to graduate within 5 years. The student office may have messed you around, but at the end of the day it's taken 3 years for you to try to complete the final year of your degree and you have still failed an exam. Perhaps it's time to accept that you struggled academically, are lucky to have any kind of degree and move on with the rest of your life. The university can only grant you the class of degree that your work deserves. 5 years to complete your degree is enough time to waste - move on.

Latest

Trending

Trending