The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Positive and negatives of Nottingham

So i was wondering what it was like studying here. What are the positives and negatives of Nottingham university? Especially negatives as they tend to be more interesting than the positives, everywhere has great social scene but not everywhere has a claustrophobic campus for example.

I'd be applying for chem eng so any information on the course/department would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can bet you somebody who doesn't even attend Nottingham Uni will be on here in due course talking about the apparent "Shottingham" culture, and how their friends got robbed, whilst neglecting to mention that they'd left their bedroom window open.

I can't really give you many negatives; the Internet in halls isn't amazingly maintained, and will drop every now and then (but Wi-Fi is normally unaffected); the SU are still members of NUS who rob you for thousands upon thousands of pounds each year, but aren't representative, don't provide you with cheap beer, don't offer you many discounts over non-NUS student discounts, and actuall restrict purchasing of a lot of drinks, such as Stella, by not allowing NUS Services Ltd to deal with particular companies; this isn't specific to Notts though. There could be a couple more Hopper Buses, but complaints of not getting on one because they're full is rare - it won't affect you if you're not going between UP and Jubilee though, and I've not had any problems or complaints as Course Rep. These are the negatives I hear about anyway, but they're very low-key and not exactly common occurences.

In terms of the good points: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1126657 :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
DarkWhite
I can bet you somebody who doesn't even attend Nottingham Uni will be on here in due course talking about the apparent "Shottingham" culture, and how their friends got robbed, whilst neglecting to mention that they'd left their bedroom window open.

I can't really give you many negatives; the Internet in halls isn't amazingly maintained, and will drop every now and then (but Wi-Fi is normally unaffected); the SU are still members of NUS who rob you for thousands upon thousands of pounds each year, but aren't representative, don't provide you with cheap beer, don't offer you many discounts over non-NUS student discounts, and actuall restrict purchasing of a lot of drinks, such as Stella, by not allowing NUS Services Ltd to deal with particular companies; this isn't specific to Notts though. There could be a couple more Hopper Buses, but complaints of not getting on one because they're full is rare - it won't affect you if you're not going between UP and Jubilee though, and I've not had any problems or complaints as Course Rep. These are the negatives I hear about anyway, but they're very low-key and not exactly common occurences.

In terms of the good points: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1126657 :smile:

Thanks alot, if my uni experience is even a patch on that i will be a very happy man. Guess youve got to go out and make it good.

And ive head the shottingham thing before, grandparents face when i told them i was considering it was priceless :p:
Reply 3
rabidmonkey
Thanks alot, if my uni experience is even a patch on that i will be a very happy man. Guess youve got to go out and make it good.

And ive head the shottingham thing before, grandparents face when i told them i was considering it was priceless :p:

Absolutely! I actually picked up a lot more as the year went on, slowed down for exams, then had a hectic, but amazing, final few weeks before the end of term just having a proper good time :biggrin:

It's really just all about getting involved, trying new things (and there are way more societies for trying out that you'd care to imagine), and just putting yourself out there. My girlfriend's exactly the same though - VC for cricket, social sec for Scout and Guide, member of Real Ale, BioSoc, etc :smile:

And yeah, I really can't dismiss that Shottingham aspect any more. IIRC, it's 3 postcodes just West of the city centre where most of the crime is condensed, and the petty burglaries and such are in Lenton, which is full of students leaving windows and doors open, literally lol.. I've been here a year and not had any problems; none of my friends have had any problems, except a friend of mine having his bike stolen after leaving it unlocked at a train station :rolleyes:
Negatives: Internets not always great on campus
They got rid of printed modual guides
The SU can be overly beuractratic at times

Thats about it for the things that really annoy me which are uni specific-obviously theres crime, taxis ripping you off and that sorta thing but TBH thats at every uni. The positives are a huge SU, cheap beer, great nights out, good quality teaching, good facilities, huge numbers of sports and so on... Just get involved in the various societies and the uni itself and you'll have a great time!
Reply 5
The main negative as far as I compared it to other universities I attended was how crap the student bar (Mooch aka the Ark) is for anything other than a quiet pint. However, this is somewhat understandable because the nightclubs in town cater for all the student nights out. Oh and the number of knobs wearing ridiculous outfits.

Advantages - the downs, the lake, Cave Rave, fantastic sports facilities, its growing reputation, the decent pubs in Lenton and Beeston, one of the best city centres in the UK just a 15 minute bus ride away.
Reply 6
py0alb
The main negative as far as I compared it to other universities I attended was how crap the student bar (Mooch aka the Ark) is for anything other than a quiet pint. However, this is somewhat understandable because the nightclubs in town cater for all the student nights out. Oh and the number of knobs wearing ridiculous outfits.

Advantages - the downs, the lake, Cave Rave, fantastic sports facilities, its growing reputation, the decent pubs in Lenton and Beeston, one of the best city centres in the UK just a 15 minute bus ride away.

cave rave sounds ace!
Reply 7
I only really looked at the whole thing towards the end of the year, and the last SU COuncil meeting was during this period; so although I did attend, I didn't bring it to motion - I'd probably be the only voting member in support knowing my luck, would require a bit of education.
(edited 3 years ago)
Bad points - It's hard to find a place to study in the library, if you want to take your laptop in. There's a limited number of electric sockets, and even fewer PCs. If you don't arrive at Hallward library before 9-10am during revision/exam periods, you're not going to get a place with a computer, it's so frustrating.
- Lots of hills on campus! If you're not exactly fit like I am, it'll be problematic :o:

That's about all I can think of. I don't have a problem with the SU, and I don't plan to take an interest in it at all. The SU bar is decently priced, in my opinion, with AWESOME food.

Re. crime, I've not known of any gun crime anywhere near the university in the two years I've spent there. My flat was burgled in first year, but only because the guy whose stuff was stolen left all of the doors open and unlocked. It was a matter of the robber walking in, picking up his laptop and iPod, and walking out with it.

Generally, I've got very few complaints about the university (and I haven't been paid to say that..!), aside from the lack of electrical sockets in Hallward library which might not even apply to you, being a sciences student.. Anyway, if you decide to come here, you probably won't regret it. :smile:
Reply 9
How's Nottingham for cycling?
There is a lack of computers in the arts library (as opposed to the technical one) but there are many computer rooms on campus if you ask around, they're kinda hidden.
The top window of one of the hopper buses was shot out last year, but that's really rare. And most people bring a multi-socket adapter to hallward towards the end of the year, when the power sockets do get filled up!
I'm a voting member on the Su council, but I;ve never heard any complaints (besides at election when the only candidate for presidency who went on about it didn't get voted in), but if Darkwhite tables a motion I'll vote in favor.
I guess bad points are the segregation on campus, it;s really hard to get to know students of other cultures, the lack of designated motorcycle parking (we park anywhere) the hill that Hallward sits on, the VERY expensive campus gym, the dreadful food in halls (but not on campus which has lovely cafe's) and a pretty widespread apathy towards the SU.
The positives far outweigh the negatives, it;s a wonderful place and I;m returning for a 4th year :smile:
Reply 11
Dyad

Not bad, just avoid cycling up the downs as it's horrific.
Dyad

The city centre is very crowded on the roads, especially up near the Victoria centre. There are dozens of buses trying to get through the junctions up there, it's nerve-wracking just being a pedestrian, let alone a cyclist (but I'm a total wuss, and I would only ever cycle to uni :o: ).
Reply 13
Jointhewayofpeace
There is a lack of computers in the arts library (as opposed to the technical one) but there are many computer rooms on campus if you ask around, they're kinda hidden.
The top window of one of the hopper buses was shot out last year, but that's really rare. And most people bring a multi-socket adapter to hallward towards the end of the year, when the power sockets do get filled up!
I'm a voting member on the Su council, but I;ve never heard any complaints (besides at election when the only candidate for presidency who went on about it didn't get voted in), but if Darkwhite tables a motion I'll vote in favor.
I guess bad points are the segregation on campus, it;s really hard to get to know students of other cultures, the lack of designated motorcycle parking (we park anywhere) the hill that Hallward sits on, the VERY expensive campus gym, the dreadful food in halls (but not on campus which has lovely cafe's) and a pretty widespread apathy towards the SU.
The positives far outweigh the negatives, it;s a wonderful place and I;m returning for a 4th year :smile:

What's the damage for a gym membership? That's kinda ****, one of the reasons I was looking forward to going to uni was the promise of access to a cheaper gym. MIRAGE.
Dyad
What's the damage for a gym membership? That's kinda ****, one of the reasons I was looking forward to going to uni was the promise of access to a cheaper gym. MIRAGE.

Here we go :smile:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/sport/studentmembership.php
Reply 15

As from 1st May fees reduced to : Bronze £22.50 Silver £40 Gold £70

A 64% reduction across all bands

Standard boys (and girls)

Well done SU
Byllie

Well done SU

Are these prices per semester/term or per year?
Reply 17
dantethealb
Are these prices per semester/term or per year?

Per year I imagine - who would pay the old price of £195 per semester
Positives
- Nice, green campus.
- Good reputation.
- Some nice buildings (e.g. Trent Building).
- Good sports facilities.
- Nottingham in general has good public transport.
- Despite what people may tell you (usually people who have never even been there), the city itself is perfectly safe.

Negatives
- Lots and lots of posh, public school types.
- Hallward Library (despite the recent refurbishment it is a dated, hideous building which cannot cope with the number of students, particularly during exam periods)
Byllie

Well done SU

That's increds. I had no idea they were trying to reduce it. Looks like I'm back in the uni gym this year!

Latest

Trending

Trending