Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Toes keep splitting open

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

Every so often, my third and fourth toe on each of my foot splits open. It's always along the crease on the underside of my toe (the bit where your toe folds over). It's always the third toe on my left foot and the fourth toe on my right foot.

It's just done it again (I woke up this morning and my toe on my left foot had split open all along the crease). There's no blood or anything, no sign of a cut, it's just split open and it's like raw flesh. It's the crease that connects the toe to my foot, so naturally as I walked it opened it up more and it's gaping open. It's still not bleeding, but it is oozing a bit. I've covered it in antiseptic and a plaster to try and prevent anything from getting into it and making it worse. It's very painful at the moment. I've also got a smaller one on the fourth toe of my right foot, in the second crease which isn't as painful, but it's still only just appeared as well.

This happens all the time. Every few weeks or so they open up, always on the same toes. Does anyone know what might be causing it? They normally clear up fairly quickly (though the one I've got at the moment is the most painful and inflamed I've ever had), and as I work full time by the time I think to make a doctor's appointment they've gone. Google is only bringing up results related to babies, and as far as I'm aware I haven't been one of those in a while.

Ta in advance. I've kept it anon because it's a tad gross!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It sounds as though the area of skin maybe dry? Try using a moisturiser before bed/in the morning and apply Sudacream (sp?) to the wounds - this should prevent the cracking and loosen up the surrounding skin and the Sudacream should prevent any infections and subsequent swelling. Also maybe put a pressure dressing on it to stop the area splitting and allow it to heal fully. I had something like this along my finger, where it was cut extremely cleanly, so even after it healed occasionally when I'd make a fist putting pressure onto the area it would split open and while there wasn't puss ect. you could see the "raw flesh" at the bottom.

Sorry if this is bad advice, but it's not too clear what it is, while it's gross a pic would defiantly help.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Every so often, my third and fourth toe on each of my foot splits open. It's always along the crease on the underside of my toe (the bit where your toe folds over). It's always the third toe on my left foot and the fourth toe on my right foot.

It's just done it again (I woke up this morning and my toe on my left foot had split open all along the crease). There's no blood or anything, no sign of a cut, it's just split open and it's like raw flesh. It's the crease that connects the toe to my foot, so naturally as I walked it opened it up more and it's gaping open. It's still not bleeding, but it is oozing a bit. I've covered it in antiseptic and a plaster to try and prevent anything from getting into it and making it worse. It's very painful at the moment. I've also got a smaller one on the fourth toe of my right foot, in the second crease which isn't as painful, but it's still only just appeared as well.

This happens all the time. Every few weeks or so they open up, always on the same toes. Does anyone know what might be causing it? They normally clear up fairly quickly (though the one I've got at the moment is the most painful and inflamed I've ever had), and as I work full time by the time I think to make a doctor's appointment they've gone. Google is only bringing up results related to babies, and as far as I'm aware I haven't been one of those in a while.

Ta in advance. I've kept it anon because it's a tad gross!
    this sounds like my dads icky toes...
    ATHLETES FOOT
    simple cream should fix it
    hermione xxx

I looked up Athlete's Foot. I don't have any other kind of symptoms apart from the toe thing, so I'm not sure it'd be that. The skin's not dry at all. I'm keeping it well I took some rather delicious pictures. I wiped all the gunk off first.

Spoiler:
    Show

This is it 'closed' (i.e. with my toe curled under a bit)

And this is it when I pull it 'open' (or flatten my toe out to walk on it)

The yellowy patch underneath it is the remnants of a blister I had a week ago. I don't think it's got anything to do with it as I've had them before without any kind of blister.

Thanks for your help, sorry it's a bit gross!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My father has diabetes. His feet crack that due to poor circulation. I don't think yours is that level, however. :puke:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hah! Our toes look alike! That means it's eczema. I put a drop of white distilled vinegar on the crack, then a little dab of antibiotic goop/cream. Mine has never become bad enough for eczema creams, but the little boogers do hurt like mad sometimes. Stress, changes in weather, or allergies can bring it on btw.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the same thing! It really does sting! I'm walking about my room and I'm thinking 'omg why are my toes stinging?'
    I genuinely think it's just down to dry feet
    So my idea of advice is
    Let it heal...
    ...Then moisturise your toes

Erin xoxo

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.