The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Trigger
Hmmm well yes but if you re-read my post you'l see i was talking about wearing synthetic coats which are incredibly harmful to the environment. Perhaps if we stopped wearing tat from Primark and all wore fur we'd make a difference?

:eek3:

My posts were about the purchase of real fur products, and nothing to do with the relative environmental damage of synthetic vs real fur. I don't know why you brought it up! :s-smilie:
Reply 61
Onyx.
Sorry, if you said before but is it like a vintage type shop/charity shop?

Edit: Typing this on my iPod, so allow the errors in my replies :o:

Yeah it is :smile:
Better to be provided with some use than to be just thrown away. It is more of an insult to the animal to throw the product it was used for away than to wear it.
Reply 63
plzplzplzduntbanme
:eek3:

My posts were about the purchase of real fur products, and nothing to do with the relative environmental damage of synthetic vs real fur. I don't know why you brought it up! :s-smilie:

Yeah i was asking if you think fur is better or worse then the damage synthetic materials cause the environment?
I would feel that I was still contributing to the modern day fur industry. Walking around with it on you are a walking advert; you become part of the fashion, you strengthen the fashion and you then increase the demand for fur. So it's still wrong, IMO.

Additionally you may well get hated on by random activists you walk past. Not that the possible adversity you might face is a moral reason to not wear fur, I mention it just in case you hadn't considered it. Animal rights activists and even show-pony activists react far more strongly to fur than to leather and meat.
paddyman4
I would feel that I was still contributing to the modern day fur industry. Walking around with it on you are a walking advert; you become part of the fashion, you strengthen the fashion and you then increase the demand for fur. So it's still wrong, IMO.

Additionally you may well get hated on by random activists you walk past. Not that the possible adversity you might face is a moral reason to not wear fur, I mention it just in case you hadn't considered it. Animal rights activists and even show-pony activists react far more strongly to fur than to leather and meat.

This. Said much more clearlier than i managed.
Trigger
Yeah i was asking if you think fur is better or worse then the damage synthetic materials cause the environment?

I don't really know anything about how synthetics are made so i don't think i can really comment on it.
Reply 67
well i ahte it when we kill bears and lions ,zebra's , and so many other animals just to get the fur or the skin and make a expensive coat about which we could brag and boost-always go for the price tag.
there are synthetic materials which can used to make coats why animal skin. just hate this idea.
Reply 68
paddyman4

I have little respect for anyone that reacts like that to someone's clothing choice. I think, like the other guy, you're being rather facetious thinking one person in fur would cause mass orders of fur. Also if you think that then why aren't you against faux fur? People might see it and think it's real and go off and buy some anyway?
Trigger
Is it worse then asking third world children to make me a coat for 13p a day?

In all seriousness, the amount that many individuals get paid in third world countries may seem like a pittance to you and I, but without that job they'd be a lot, lot worse off.

Real child exploitation is of course no laughing matter, but what is to stop you from purchasing clothes that have been ethically sourced?
Reply 70
feedz
well i ahte it when we kill bears and lions ,zebra's , and so many other animals just to get the fur or the skin and make a expensive coat about which we could brag and boost-always go for the price tag.
there are synthetic materials which can used to make coats why animal skin. just hate this idea.

£50 is hardly something to brag about?
IMO no, the animal is dead, the coat has been made and presumeably worn.

I happen to think fur looks awful :p:, but that's not a moral objection of course.

Get a furry bra tbh :ahee:
Reply 72
HandleWithCare
In all seriousness, the amount that many individuals get paid in third world countries may seem like a pittance to you and I, but without that job they'd be a lot, lot worse off.

Real child exploitation is of course no laughing matter, but what is to stop you from purchasing clothes that have been ethically sourced?

Because then surely those people are still out of a job. I'l walk around in my ethically sourced coat and then everyone will want one and then Primark can't afford to buy clothes from these people and they die from starvation.
Trigger
Because then surely those people are still out of a job. I'l walk around in my ethically sourced coat and then everyone will want one and then Primark can't afford to buy clothes from these people and they die from starvation.

No, an increase in demand for ethically sourced products will force companies that use sweat shop labour to improve working conditions and raise wages.
Reply 74
paddy__power
IMO no, the animal is dead, the coat has been made and presumeably worn.

I happen to think fur looks awful :p:, but that's not a moral objection of course.

Get a furry bra tbh :ahee:

Reply 75
HandleWithCare
No, an increase in demand for ethically sourced products will force companies that use sweat shop labour to improve working conditions and raise wages.

Yeah, it won't. The world just isn't that awesome.
Trigger

Please buy that and wear it. And invite me over. And let me look at it. While it's on you. Fur feels nice. Good plan. I know. ><
Reply 77
Trigger
£50 is hardly something to brag about?

well a pure leather coat is for 50 quids??
a coat made of deer skin is for 50 quids??
:confused:
i doubt that
Trigger
Yeah, it won't. The world just isn't that awesome.

Every product you buy is a vote. If you buy large amounts of vegetables and less.. umm.. bread.. and if enough people do this, then agriculture in the UK will shift from wheat cultivation to vegetable cultivation.

It's the same with clothes. If enough people demand ethically sourced clothing, then suppliers will be forced to adapt their supply chain to deal with this demand.

Yes, the world does work this way. Simple economics.
Reply 79
feedz
well a pure leather coat is for 50 quids??
a coat made of deer skin is for 50 quids??
:confused:
i doubt that

The coats im looking at are at that price...

Latest

Trending

Trending