The Student Room Group

Average GCSEs = Uni Rejection?!

Hi :smile:

I got reeeaaaaly average grades at GCSE. I'm an intelligent person, I was predicted all As/A*s at GCSE, but during Year 10 I had a few problems to deal with and I practically gave up during GCSE, and now I'm kicking myself.

My results were : 3 A's, including English
5 B's, icluding Maths, Religion, Science etc
The rest were C's.

However, now I'm doing a lot better at college, getting A's in coursework and a B in the one January Test i took (History)

I'm hoping to apply to Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool... Am I likely to get in any of these if i meet the required A Level grades for the course I want to take? (English Lit & Lang)

Scroll to see replies

No, you won't get rejected if you meet the required A-level grades.
My GCSE: CCCEE

I have offers from Warwick, York and Exeter.

GCSEs will not be one of the most important factors. If you have good A levels and are able to convey to them that you would be good on the course (PS/Reference) you have every chance - providing you meet all prerequisites for admission of course.
Reply 3
No, you won't. Know someone who got into Warwick with 4A's & 6B's and relatively poor AS's
Reply 4
Some ask for above a C or a B in a certain topic AT GCSE but I wouldn't worry at all.
As long as you have a B in Maths, B in Science and A's in English you won't have any problems.
Reply 5
Wow, feel a lot better now. Just had a mini heart-attack about the whole thing!
Reply 6
I got 1.5As and 6Bs at GCSE.

I got BBCCC at AS-level because I didn't revise.

I received an offer from University of Manchester to read Law with the offer of AAA.
Reply 7
paddy__power
My GCSE: CCCEE

Those are your GCSEs :eek: ; but you got like straight A's at AS; what happened?
Reply 8
Amit92
I got 1.5As and 6Bs at GCSE.

I got BBCCC at AS-level because I didn't revise.

I received an offer from University of Manchester to read Law with the offer of AAA.

Unless you got an A in GCSE maths, you're either lying or you slept with the admissions officer.
Reply 9
OP, average GCSEs won't help obviously, and a lot depends on the course you applied for.
orca92
Those are your GCSEs :eek: ; but you got like straight A's at AS; what happened?

Not strait As, just enough As ^^

I was thrown out of school and only took 5, in year 10 after a year out of school getting drunk. I did them all in less time as I turned up late etc. In short: I didn't bother.

Didn't bother with my AS either, hence why I didn't get strait As - more important things in life mate.
Reply 11
Unless you got an A in GCSE maths, you're either lying or you slept with the admissions officer.

Wow, I was going to say. That's not possible without re-sit.
Reply 12
Mann18

Nope I am not lying and I achieved a 'B' in GCSE Maths.
But I think it is that I originally applyed for Economics and they gave me the offer of ABB. Then I changed my mind in May to do LLB Law and they had space. First they were not going to let me do it. But I said I had problems during my AS exams and that is why I only achieved BBCC at AS-level. I did some resits and normal A2 exams in January and achieved 6As with revision. Which bumped my AS-level grades to AABC.
Reply 13
Mann18

I got a C in Maths... :/
Mann18

That's my plan for getting into Uni this year :ahee:
Reply 15
Totally depends on what subject you do at Uni.

I got 3 A*s 6 As 5Bs at GCSE and AABB at AS and I got 4 rejections doing architecture.
Reply 16
you're either lying or you slept with the admissions officer.

Think thats the way I'm gonna have to go too :wink:... It's horrible because I've got my heart set on Leeds!!!!!
Reply 17
draikzer
I got a C in Maths... :/

Well then, it seems Manchester's Law department are liars.

Well done on getting into KCL as well!
Reply 18
Colour Me Pretty
That's mine plan for getting into Uni this year :ahee:

Giggity.
Reply 19
Amit92
Nope I am not lying and I achieved a 'B' in GCSE Maths.
But I think it is that I originally applyed for Economics and they gave me the offer of ABB. Then I changed my mind in May to do LLB Law and they had space. First they were not going to let me do it. But I said I had problems during my AS exams and that is why I only achieved BBCC at AS-level. I did some resits and normal A2 exams in January and achieved 6As with revision. Which bumped my AS-level grades to AABC.

Then you took back door entry. Well played sire.

Latest

Trending

Trending