The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I use both xx or xoxo depending on who I'm sending my text to. When I text my closest friend I vary between xoxo and xxx although sometimes we go a little overboard.

I think generally most people over here tend to go for xxx though.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Why are people too retarded to simply check the meaning in the internet. Couldn't he just google it? I use neither btw.
When I think xoxo, I think Gossip Girl :smile:
I'd say just stick to x / xx .. it's quicker anyway.

watt
Are there any girls that don't use kisses? I don't think I can find one on my facebook that doesn't.

I never do :smile:
hudsonriver
Thanks! I will at least certainly avoid using "xxx" :smile:

It does, but it's so much more common here than xx or x. I think it's because here x has a negative connotation normally. Still, I'll change it up when dealing with British friends. I don't want them thinking I'm ending my emails with a silly face for some unexplained reason!

loads of people use tonnes of x's. just depends on how enthusiastic you want to be. its pretty common to get at the end of a message
..... I miss you loads xxxxxxxxx

using a single x (unless you've only written a short message to them or dont know them very well) is pretty rude. if i did it to a friend they'd assume something was wrong with us, more than me not putting anything at all.

and a lot of the time with a girlfriend i wont bother with x's as its just tedious to shove it on the end of every message. i'll just put a load on the last one i send her

and most people in the uk know what xo means. either way i imagine you'll just slip into using what your friends here start using. you'll get used to it soon enough
everyone knows what xoxo means :smile:

i personally have a bizarre system tho
x = i'm pissed off with you
xx = i've just met you
xxx = i've met you a few times but don't know you
xxxxx = you're a friend
xxxxxx = you're a close friend / i fancy you
any more than 6xs = you're one of my best friends and i'm uber excited about what you just said / you need cheering up
Reply 26
to be fair I didn't know what it meant until reading this thread! Maybe I'm not down with the lingo anymore...must check urban dictionary and find out what I'm missing!
Reply 27
I'd just use xx
Reply 28
Am I the only one who learnt what 'xoxo' meant by watching gossip girl? XD But seriously, just use kisses.
Reply 29
greeneyedgirl
everyone knows what xoxo means :smile:

i personally have a bizarre system tho
x = i'm pissed off with you
xx = i've just met you
xxx = i've met you a few times but don't know you
xxxxx = you're a friend
xxxxxx = you're a close friend / i fancy you
any more than 6xs = you're one of my best friends and i'm uber excited about what you just said / you need cheering up

Lol at the system:p:

I didn't know what 'xoxo' was until a couple of months ago :frown:
Reply 30
didgeridoo12uk
loads of people use tonnes of x's. just depends on how enthusiastic you want to be. its pretty common to get at the end of a message

using a single x (unless you've only written a short message to them or dont know them very well) is pretty rude. if i did it to a friend they'd assume something was wrong with us, more than me not putting anything at all.

and a lot of the time with a girlfriend i wont bother with x's as its just tedious to shove it on the end of every message. i'll just put a load on the last one i send her

and most people in the uk know what xo means. either way i imagine you'll just slip into using what your friends here start using. you'll get used to it soon enough

I very rarely leave kisses at the end of texts and when I do its normally one or two. Do all my friends think I hate them? :s-smilie:
Muffin.
I very rarely leave kisses at the end of texts and when I do its normally one or two. Do all my friends think I hate them? :s-smilie:

well if you never do it its not really an issue. its just if you go from doing it to only leaving one, or not leaving any
this thread is so lame
Muffin.
Lol at the system:p:

I didn't know what 'xoxo' was until a couple of months ago :frown:

it does sometimes worry me just how OCD i am about my xxx's, esp because i normally end up sending people xxxxxx and then remember that they don't know the system and will get creeped out at how many i send!

maybe cos i've got american friends i knew about xoxo?
Reply 34
some of us aren't dumb ... and realise there are variations of ''signing off''
Reply 35
As far as I've ever been able to tell xoxoxooxooxoxx has a vastly more flirty connotation to it.

xxx is used both by people flirting, and, as I'm sure it also is in America, between girls, and between girls and boys.

I do this all naturally, but if you want a guide, I use two kisses for regular girls I know, three to five for flirting, and paradoxically one or none for very good female friends. If there's an emotional communion the number of kisses increases in line.
Reply 36
Anything between x and xxx is standard. On a related note...

jellybeanjen
XOXO just smacks of Gossip Girl reject to me, simply because that's the only time I've really heard it used here. Most of the time I'll use two or three kisses to sign of an email or text. It's a matter of preference though; most people will know what you mean either way.

You beat me to it! I was gonna make a joke about how everyone should know by now because of Gossip Girl.

But on a serious note, I thought that everyone knew what xoxo meant even before Gossip Girl :s-smilie:
I always use xoxox and xxxxxx to my bf, depending on which phone I'm using haha long story.. but basically don't know of anyone who doesn't know what it means, so go for it.
Reply 39
Yeah people here seem to get confused by xoxo but people back in NZ got confused by xxx people don't really do it.. it's catching on now though

Latest