The Student Room Group

Applying to uni on a gap year

I applied to go to uni last year via school and didnt get it
nearer exam time i didnt bother going into school as it was a total waster of time
so now my teachers at school are not willing to help me apply to go to uni this year!
So i was wonder if you can apply for uni without having to go through school and what you need to do.
i would appreciate any help anyone has to give
and sorry if this doesnt make sense im still rather upset about the email my teacher sent when i asked her about this.
thanks guys
You can apply as an independent candidate, which is what i'm currently doing. It's really straightforward, however you will still need a reference so you need to find out if your school is willing to provide you with one. If not, there are other people who can give you one, but there are rules about who can do it.

If you go on the ucas website there are full instructions on how to apply independently. :smile:
Just apply independently and find yourself a reference from school - there must be one teacher who'll help you out? If not a teacher, someone like an employer can write you one.

It's quite easy to do your application once you get into it - mine only took me half a day, compared to the three weeks it took me at college!
psychocustard
Just apply independently and find yourself a reference from school - there must be one teacher who'll help you out? If not a teacher, someone like an employer can write you one.

It's quite easy to do your application once you get into it - mine only took me half a day, compared to the three weeks it took me at college!

Antifazian
You can apply as an independent candidate, which is what i'm currently doing. It's really straightforward, however you will still need a reference so you need to find out if your school is willing to provide you with one. If not, there are other people who can give you one, but there are rules about who can do it.

If you go on the ucas website there are full instructions on how to apply independently. :smile:

Thanks.
Yeah, you are right. im sure i can get a reference from my form teacher hopefully!
I just wanted to ask, can i not use all my info that i have aready put up on ucas and somehow change my options and stuff on that again or do i need to put in all my information all over again?
thanks
Big.Juicy.Orange.
Thanks.
Yeah, you are right. im sure i can get a reference from my form teacher hopefully!
I just wanted to ask, can i not use all my info that i have aready put up on ucas and somehow change my options and stuff on that again or do i need to put in all my information all over again?
thanks

You'll need to start all over again - I've done three applications (two last year!) and it's a pain in the bum, but it's necessary!
Big.Juicy.Orange.
Thanks.
thanks

When I registered, it gave me an option to fill in my ucas number from last year, which I did and then parts of the form were already filled in for me, as presumably ucas had pulled up info from my previous one. It didn't fill in my gcses or anything like that though, just the details bit that has your name, date of birth etc. on it.

Doesn't really take long to fill the form in once you get going anyway though, like psychocustard said, it's much faster than doing it at school/college i've found!

Latest

Trending

Trending