The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
In2deep
Everyone here is right.

Please don't embarrass yourself, I would recommend a white tuxedo, that is what the cool people wore:

That is not a tuxedo, that's just a white 3-piece suit. And a hideous one at that.
Reply 41
Don't wear a suit.
You should wear a kilt.
Hari1
Hi, just wondering what people are gunna wear? How smart you should look on the first day? Don't laugh but I'm considering a suit.

H.

Do you want to be known as the weird kid who wore a suit on his first day at uni?
Reply 44
Boss suit, collar up, sunnies, wet hair, polish your jeffery west's and you are God. If I was at your institution i'd be your friend.
Wear exactly what you want to.
I have a big thing about selecting features about oneself to effectively cover up true identity - and if you like suits a lot, then yeah :dontknow:

I guess a suit might make you seem formal :fatcontroller: or it might make you quirky :crazy:
Please don't embarrass yourself like that. :facepalm:

This is the minimum that you need to be aiming for:
Reply 47
Ralph Lauren Polo
True Religion Jeans
Ralph Lauren Sneakers
Gucci Belt

That's the usual for me but its what I'll most likely wear on first day.
Reply 48
GodspeedGehenna
Shut up!!! He might actually do it.

Please, OP. Do this. It will look good and you will make so many friends.

Alright!! Calm down. I've revised my outlook on this. Wear what YOU want and if I see anyone at my uni wearing a suit I will say hi. :smile:
Oh and dont forgot one of those curly moustaches like this one, otherwise saygoodbye to making friends...

Reply 50
What's the issue with a nice, tailored suit?

:lovedup:
Wear what you want.

I wear a suit sometimes to lectures, if you want to, then do.
Reply 52
Are you going to Oxford actually? Might be an idea then :P

You don't want people thinking you belong in steerage.

Dress like the best if you want to assciate with the best :biggrin:
haha love all the cheeky sarcastic responses, but on a more serious note, do not wear a suit, you will be laughed at. keep it cool casual. a nice pair of eans, shirt and pumps/sneakers.
Birthday Suit!!!!!
Little_missy01
haha love all the cheeky sarcastic responses, but on a more serious note, do not wear a suit, you will be laughed at. keep it cool casual. a nice pair of eans, shirt and pumps/sneakers.

Not necessarily the best advice - if you always wear a suit, then it'll be worse to turn up in 'cool and casual' and then start wearing the suit afterwards. People would wonder why you didn't on the first day, why you are now, etc. Eventually they'll realise that you were being 'fake' and only did it to make a good first impression.

Whereas if you go on the first day in a suit and then keep it up, you'll just become 'the guy in the suit' and no one will think anything of it.
Reply 56
Wear whatever you feel comfy in and like.

People won't be dressing smart, but as you do when you meet new people you like to wear nice clothes, usually :smile:
Reply 57
Don't forget to show us some pictures of you in your suit with your new friends.
Reply 58
This thread made me lol. This especially;

w04andia
Make sure the suit has tails. And bring a cane while you're at it.
Must. Not. Be. Sarcastic.

Don't go for a suit, you'll look like a tit

Latest