The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Right.
Reply 121
Ultimate1
Ya but what if another question came up similar to the exam that you got an 'E' on? You surely would have flopped that as well then? Exactly. And one more point: Humanities are much more centred in reality, whereas sciences really are about shizzle we won't ever need.

Humanities students chat about the world science created.

Shizz we don't need? Medicine? The Internet? Aeroplanes? Mobile Phones? Electricity? Glass? Beer? Sky Sports? Buildings........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Reply 122
Organ
Humanities students chat about the world science created.

Shizz we don't need? Medicine? The Internet? Aeroplanes? Mobile Phones? Electricity? Glass? Beer? Sky Sports? Buildings........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Reply 123
Focus08

I don't understand your point, unless you were just referring me to some comedy - if so :yy:
Ultimate1
lol and this proves my point? Obviously if you are going to go into a maths/biology exam without CRAMMING anything you are quite simply going to get ripped to shreds and I don't know why the humanity grades were high, maybe because the teachers marked it wrong? And how the hell can they get a 'C' without having read the books? Looks like some made up BS.

Yes, that's right, accuse everything that doesn't comply with your premiss "made up BS" :rolleyes:
Our English lit head of department is the leader of her group of examiners... hardly justified in saying the exams were "marked wrong." The tests were extract based - as in a comparison was asked for on the texts from a specific stance. Maybe you would find it difficult to get a C in English lit, but not everyone does :smile: The majority of our classes first a-level essays were graded on average at a C.
Ultimate1
it is a fact that it is by far easier to get an 'A' in a science subject than an 'A' in a humanity subject.

:lol:

Do you always assert your own facts or do you just enjoy making a fool out of yourself?

I have always found humanities a lot more effective in terms of assessment and examinations. The humanities often encompass individual interpretation, student's are expected to think for themselves rather than to rely on the knowledge published and recognised by experts within the field.
How could you possibly go wrong with establishing your own interpretation of facts? there really is no right or wrong answer (if you have a dynamic hold on the substance of course).

The sciences, on the other hand, are exact. Hence the need for greater 'cramming'. One silly mistake could make an entire scientific explanation inaccurate. One missing aspect could void an entire response. This subject area is by far the more difficult (in my opinion - I am not asserting this as fact, as you have done with your opinion).

:p:
It depend on the person, full stop. I know people that get 90%+ in sciences easily but who fail hard at essay subjects; conversely the opposite relationship is also observed. Some people are good at both, some bad at both.

Ultimate1
lol and this proves my point? Obviously if you are going to go into a maths/biology exam without CRAMMING anything you are quite simply going to get ripped to shreds and I don't know why the humanity grades were high, maybe because the teachers marked it wrong? And how the hell can they get a 'C' without having read the books? Looks like some made up BS.

I got above a C in several units I didn't read the book(s) for.
At my college, the humanities students did a lot less work than the science ones but always got better grades on average (was a lot more really good science students than really good humanities ones though)...
Reply 128
Ermm , A level Maths does not represent the whole of sciences, try doing an A level Physics paper or an A level Biology paper. But the major flaw in your arguement is, you are assuming everyone is equally good at sciences and humanities, some people are more good at humanities than sciences, for some other people its the other way round, I know people who struggle A level Maths, and do better at English.

OP, you have only done AS level and not even recieved your results yet, and yet you still manage to conclude it is a fact that it is easier to get A's in sciences when you only done Maths and Further Maths as a science and not even something like Physics, Biology, Chemistry etc.
As Chemistry, Biology and Psychology student... I can safely say its very possible to skim read a psychology chapter and knock out a grade A essay in one evening. (As I have done many times...)
However, skim reading/ cramming for Chemistry and getting a decent grade? Unless you are amazingly naturally good at Chemistry, the chances are veryy low of that happening!

At GCSE I managed to get A* and A A in Sociology, R.E and English with minimal effort. As long as you understand the concept and you are literate and can construct clear and concise essays, getting decent grades in Humanities isn't too hard.
Oh Lord, this is just going to be a cyclic thread, isn't it? the OP isn't going to relent and the Science students are just going to get hacked off that he's implying we've all got it easier than the Humanities lot! :rolleyes:

Now...OP, as someone who takes 3 Science and 2 Humanities, I can assure you that the Sciences are in no way easier, if, after all the arguements presented, you still think this way, please refer to any AS/A2 Physcis paper, because I essentially did what you said gets people A's in Sciences, I read and memorised loads of the content without REALLY getting it and I din't get an A in Jan Physics.... I undrestand why you might feel that way but it's unfair to everyone who works hard and gets A's in Maths/Bio/Chem/Physics to say that it's easier than when you do a Humanity AS....:cool:
I find it laughable that humanities students should think their respective subjects 'harder' than the any of the sciences. In not all, but many cases (I’m talking averages) people pick their A-levels based on how they performed at GCSE. Those who perform well choose at least one science (often two or three). As such those with better GCSEs on average tend to founder in science classes. Those who choose humanities mostly, but not always, select them since they feel the sciences will be too hard. Since the exam boards like to keep the % As they give out at roughly 20% you find that sub standard students receive As. Moreso, getting an A reflects how well you have performed relative to some similar version of yourself. Students with approximately equal ability can be found in subjects with roughly the same difficulty.

Take a walk around the average Chem class and you will be hard pushed to find someone who did not walk away from their GCSEs clutching a handful of A*s. The same cannot be said for subjects like sociology. It is wrong that you find essentially the best students in classes such as Maths, but that some students achieve poor grades by virtue of being out competed by other good students. I cite a story of one guy who has 22 A-levels. As in something like 20 of them, then a C in Physics and a B in Chem. This culture of people taking easy subjects, getting an A to make themselves feel good and then arguing with scientists that their subject has academic prowess has got to stop. They know deep down that their 3 As in written subjects would easily be converted to 3 Cs had they taken 3 sciences. Equally they know deep down that they avoided the sciences. Or else they convince themselves, not that they avoided them, but that they just never considered them. Of course never considering them is tantamount to saying that they were wildly more difficult and so did not even factor into consideration.

Humans are funny things, you will not necessarily remember ruling out the sciences, probably because there was no long and drawn out consideration process. The human body makes a split second decision that those subjects are too hard and forevermore partitions them from consideration. People exploit the fact that subject difficulty is subjective. Why take the sciences and get irrefutable proof that you’re not good enough when you can take sociology, get an A and have the truth forever concealed. Of course if you genuinely are good that’s bad luck, the ceiling is so low that in humanities it will not distinguish between an excellent student and a very good student. I am in favour of acknowledging true academic merit and am in disbelief that people continue to mount these vulgar assertions that the humanities in any way compare to the sciences and mathematics. I also am repulsed by the idea that someone who has 3Bs in 3 sciences is rejected over someone with 3 As in say Sociology, History and English for say a place at Oxbridge. I've met all too many people that have say 3 As and the rest Bs at GCSE, then as if by magic 3 As at A-level. Then, you ask of the subjects in which these were obtained and sit back and laugh, smugly.

I propose a thread to settle this question. I propose a survey. You will have to state GCSE grades, A-level subjects and A-level grades. I am myself due to start at Oxford, took 3 science A-levels and possess many A*s at GCSE. Funnily enough I had to work hard, continuously, to get A*A* in science GCSEs, but did not revise AT ALL (no embellishments) for English GCSE and got A* Eng Lit and A* Eng Lang. It is people like I who have the irrefutable capacity to comment on the relative difficulty of the humanities and the sciences. Lastly, the government is bringing in some legislation that will recognise math and the sciences as more difficult than other subjects. By recognising their difficulty, anyone without a science A-level will find it difficult to get into a half decent university. This is aimed at combating those who try to avoid science subjects, since numbers taking these subjects are dwindling. Interesting to know if anyone has a counter argument.
Reply 132
It depends on what subject.

For example you can get away with cramming in biology but similar wont work with physics. you can get away with cramming for example with geography but not for all humanities
.c'est la vie.
I find it laughable that humanities students should think their respective subjects 'harder' than the any of the sciences. In not all, but many cases (I’m talking averages) people pick their A-levels based on how they performed at GCSE. Those who perform well choose at least one science (often two or three). As such those with better GCSEs on average tend to founder in science classes. Those who choose humanities mostly, but not always, select them since they feel the sciences will be too hard. Since the exam boards like to keep the % As they give out at roughly 20% you find that sub standard students receive As. Moreso, getting an A reflects how well you have performed relative to some similar version of yourself. Students with approximately equal ability can be found in subjects with roughly the same difficulty.

Take a walk around the average Chem class and you will be hard pushed to find someone who did not walk away from their GCSEs clutching a handful of A*s. The same cannot be said for subjects like sociology. It is wrong that you find essentially the best students in classes such as Maths, but that some students achieve poor grades by virtue of being out competed by other good students. I cite a story of one guy who has 22 A-levels. As in something like 20 of them, then a C in Physics and a B in Chem. This culture of people taking easy subjects, getting an A to make themselves feel good and then arguing with scientists that their subject has academic prowess has got to stop. They know deep down that their 3 As in written subjects would easily be converted to 3 Cs had they taken 3 sciences. Equally they know deep down that they avoided the sciences. Or else they convince themselves, not that they avoided them, but that they just never considered them. Of course never considering them is tantamount to saying that they were wildly more difficult and so did not even factor into consideration.

Humans are funny things, you will not necessarily remember ruling out the sciences, probably because there was no long and drawn out consideration process. The human body makes a split second decision that those subjects are too hard and forevermore partitions them from consideration. People exploit the fact that subject difficulty is subjective. Why take the sciences and get irrefutable proof that you’re not good enough when you can take sociology, get an A and have the truth forever concealed. Of course if you genuinely are good that’s bad luck, the ceiling is so low that in humanities it will not distinguish between an excellent student and a very good student. I am in favour of acknowledging true academic merit and am in disbelief that people continue to mount these vulgar assertions that the humanities in any way compare to the sciences and mathematics. I also am repulsed by the idea that someone who has 3Bs in 3 sciences is rejected over someone with 3 As in say Sociology, History and English for say a place at Oxbridge. I've met all too many people that have say 3 As and the rest Bs at GCSE, then as if by magic 3 As at A-level. Then, you ask of the subjects in which these were obtained and sit back and laugh, smugly.

I propose a thread to settle this question. I propose a survey. You will have to state GCSE grades, A-level subjects and A-level grades. I am myself due to start at Oxford, took 3 science A-levels and possess many A*s at GCSE. Funnily enough I had to work hard, continuously, to get A*A* in science GCSEs, but did not revise AT ALL (no embellishments) for English GCSE and got A* Eng Lit and A* Eng Lang. It is people like I who have the irrefutable capacity to comment on the relative difficulty of the humanities and the sciences. Lastly, the government is bringing in some legislation that will recognise math and the sciences as more difficult than other subjects. By recognising their difficulty, anyone without a science A-level will find it difficult to get into a half decent university. This is aimed at combating those who try to avoid science subjects, since numbers taking these subjects are dwindling. Interesting to know if anyone has a counter argument.

this

You just pwned the entire thread lmao.
Reply 134
.c'est la vie.

Laughable really, all what you are doing is spouting rubbish and nothing is presented as facts. PLEASE STOP NOW! BTW I only take one humanity and one social science and two science subjects for your information.
Reply 135
Both are hard in their own way - Can't Distinguish
For those who keep making statements such as 'Sciences are harder than humanties because I got A* in English without revising but I had to revise tons for sciences for an A*' and vice versa, if you'd actually read eachothers posts properly, you'd realise that your conflicting statements mean that its TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE AND DIFFERENT FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL. Therefore why continue to say humanities are harder than sciences or sciences are harder than humanties when its crystal clear that they are both equally difficult in their own way? Some people are naturally good with formulas and figures whilst some are good with words and often if they are strong in one area, they are weaker in another.

When you start taking how dynamic individuals are into account which affect how difficult they find a subject, then you can see that its not possible. Some people are bashing subjects they haven't even done. How can you compare and say one subject is easier at A level compared to another, when you haven't even done it?
fretter778
You've obviously never heard of AQA's wonderful 'How Science Works' sections.

This
.c'est la vie.

What a horribly arrogant post.

I took 3 science/maths A Levels, and think those Government proposals are absolutely ludicrous and completely unfair if they were ever enacted.

Do you have any evidence for your "walk around a chemistry class" argument, or are you just making up complete drivel?

Also, you can't compare Chemistry with Sociology... Sociology isn't one of the more traditional humanities. What about English Literature, History, French, Latin, Spanish? I think those subjects are just as difficult as Chemistry. Indeed, I found English Literature, my only humanity subject, to be, by far, my hardest A Level subject.

I would find it vastly easier to get 3 As in science subjects than in humanities. I know others who found their science GCSEs far easier than humanities. I revised considerably more for English Lit, RS, and History at GCSE, than I did for Science. In fact, I found science GCSEs to be my easiest GCSEs.

Of course, that's only a random example, but your post is simply littered with random assumptions, based on your own experiences, with absolutely no evidence to support them, and yet you portray them as fact. You used your experience of your GCSEs to somehow conclude that the sciences are universally harder, and that humanities aren't hard enough? Well, I found the complete opposite of you at GCSE, but of course I'd have to be a complete moron to conclude which subjects are universally harder based on my own experience.

It's hard to know if you're actually trolling or not. You truly believe humanities do not allow people to show academic merit? Indeed, one could argue they require a depth of analysis not tested by science subjects (and this is coming from someone who studies primarily sciences).

You speak of thinking people with Bs in sciences deserve to get into Oxbridge over people with humanities in As. You do realise that for many courses, Oxbridge recommend that you study humanities? Surely Oxbridge know better than you what subjects are good preparation for their degrees?

I'm baffled that you expect a counter-argument. You didn't present an argument at all. Your post consisted of : "Sciences are harder. I do them, and have invented some made-up scenarios which I think are true, and presented some anecdotal opinions which is why sciences are harder. LOL I'm pretentious and I'm going to Oxford. TRY TO PROVE ME WRONG!!!111"
OP you're chatting ****
Everybody knows that maths is the easiest science subject at A Level
You didn't even do either one of Physics , Chemistry or Biology
Try your cramming technique with them and you will see your U on your results slip
/thread

Latest