The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's south-bank...Not too far from Waterloo...
Reply 2
you're gonna have to get a mathematicians or a good physics person to help you work out the distance from where the picture was taken to the london eye.
This was taken north of the river, you can tell because Big Ben is on the right of the Houses of Commons. I think it was taken from somewhere around Green Park, Piccadilly kind of area. I'm saying this because you can see a column in the foreground which looks a bit like one around Pall Mall.

I can't place that office building on the left but I recognise it. If I found out where it was I could pretty much exactly place this picture.
so far i've got: bermondsey, southwark, waterloo and southbank :moon:

thanks fo rthe replies btw :smile:
icapturethecastle
so far i've got: bermondsey, southwark, waterloo and southbank :moon:

thanks fo rthe replies btw :smile:

I said Bermondsey and Southwark before I realised it was north of the river. :yep:

I retract that.
Norfolkadam
I said Bermondsey and Southwark before I realised it was north of the river. :yep:

I retract that.

cool cakes, thanks for your reply though was v. helpful :h:
Almost definitely taken from north of the river looking south-east. You can see Westminster Abby, Parliament and the London Eye in the order you'd see them looking in that direction.

Maybe google maps ariel photos could help determine the exact location?
icapturethecastle
cool cakes, thanks for your reply though was v. helpful :h:

That's ok. I'm bored and I reckon I can work out exactly where this was taken so that's what I'm going to do with a while, if I work it out I'll let you know.
Google streetview? Microsoft birdseye view?
I guess north. It looked like the landscape from the top of my halls last year.
Norfolkadam
That's ok. I'm bored and I reckon I can work out exactly where this was taken so that's what I'm going to do with a while, if I work it out I'll let you know.

i'm working on that now :teehee:
icapturethecastle
i'm working on that now :teehee:

It was taken from the roof of 23 Jermyn Street looking south. Just here.

I am such a geek.
Norfolkadam

I am such a geek.

Christ, he's only bloody right and all.

I've spent 40 minutes on Google Earth trying to triangulate some kind of position from the Palaace of Westminster, the Abbey, the Eye and that tower block, all to no avail, although when I maximised Google Earth again it turned out I was right on top of Jermyn Street. I was just trying to find the tower block as a point of reference, but there wasn't a 3D model of it, and tower blocks in London are 10-a-penny.
Norfolkadam

I am such a geek.

Awsome mate. You beat me to finding it. You can even see the roof/windows in the front of the picture in the photos used on the map :biggrin:
Norfolkadam

I am such a geek.

i love you:jumphug:
Aphotic Cosmos
Christ, he's only bloody right and all.

I've spent 40 minutes on Google Earth trying to triangulate some kind of position from the Palaace of Westminster, the Abbey, the Eye and that tower block, all to no avail.

Well I recognised the statue as Wellington just off Pall Mall then I worked backwards until I found that unique collection of windows.

It took me 9 minutes. Like I said, geek. :awesome:
Reply 17
Norfolkadam

I am such a geek.

Bloody hell.

Well done mate. :yy:
Yes that's just shoved right, you can see the same roof-light on the left.

Just out of interest why did you want to know? I'm guessing it was taken by someone who works at Waterstones as that building is a Waterstones that faces onto Piccadilly.
I'd like to say somewhere around Grosvenor Square, but I just can't place the building...

Latest

Trending

Trending