Keele University
Keele

Scroll to see replies

lol... i am. Tra la la la laaaaa
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 21
i am the worlds most inept cook, and ive managed 3 years of university and im still alive. i have never got food poisoning. cookbooks are for people without the interweb, if you fancy making someting with a name, just look it up. if you are more adventurous, just fry loads of stuff, add all the seasoning in your cupboard, and eat it with rice. you guys worry too much.
I'm okay, but I bought a good student recipe book today from Waterstones. There were quite a few actually - about half a dozen! A couple were especially for vegetarians, too.
WORDS OF WISDOM (AND I HAVE A HEALTHY SIZE 8 FIGURE TO PROVE IT):

Don't purchase a microwave as it will only encourage you to eat rubbishy foods that are unhealthy and bad for you which eventually makes you actually feel down emotionally (after constant abuse of microwave ready-meals - its scientific!) and also all the chemicals and preservatives in them don't exactly keep you slim, do they? hmm... :smile:

so buy a wok.

yep, a WOK.

Chuck stuff in, loads of veg (fresh or frozen) abit of meat, use up your bottle of flat wine left over from last night to add flavour and a nice sauce, stick some noodles in with it and Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt, there's a healthy slap up meal for you and takes 15mins. :biggrin:

Our floor owned 5 woks, but not a single microwave and we all look better for it. :smile:
Reply 24
girl at keele I have absolutely no idea how to cook :O

Help me or I'll starve
I survived the first year through takeaways and ready meals! With my beer intake high, its not a surprise i put on a bit of weight :redface:
A wok is a great idea though, ive found that if i add soy souce to anything (well mabye not everything :rolleyes: ) its quite edible- the big milestone being vegetables and in particular brussle sprouts, and this was after 18 years dedicated to avoiding them with all possible means.

Im thinking about getting a Jack la lane juicer and just juicing everything like someone said earlier...Berk i think, with that i hope it will be easier to get the fathomamble and seemingly impossible 5 a day.
Reply 27
i just ate a huge bag of fish-shaped jelly sweets from america. there were 750 of them. i am clearly not worried about my health.
however bad a cook you are, you'll get by.
...all i really need is a kettle, a huge mug, and a permenent crepe/pancake stall to survive keele....i've come to this conclusion as i cannot find a suitable (being cheap) pot/pan/wok to buy.
rainjan_4now
...all i really need is a kettle, a huge mug, and a permenent crepe/pancake stall to survive keele....i've come to this conclusion as i cannot find a suitable (being cheap) pot/pan/wok to buy.

Buy! :eek:

I nicked my frying pan from my mums kitchen, and my plates, and my spoons, .........knifes, forks, mugs, cereal, soup, jam.......... :p: :biggrin:
these_apples
Buy! :eek:

I nicked my frying pan from my mums kitchen, and my plates, and my spoons, .........knifes, forks, mugs, cereal, soup, jam.......... :p: :biggrin:

If i was to take something- she'd know...i've tried to take a towel i love, but out of the tonnes of towels we have, she spotted that it wasn't in the washing cycle for a while......
on the note of woks, matalan is really good. they have really good knives aswell and pans. all cheap cheap cheap.
I should be fine at uni, my mum works till 7pm and my dad cant cook, so ive been making the evening meals for the last year, ive actually become a good cook. It will be my parents that are the ones who will be eating ready meals, freezer food and stuff on toast not me lol.
as for cooking a rule of thumb is if you vaguely think that they will go together them chuck it in add a handfull of italian herb mix and it will be fine.
However eggs and pasta do not go together and nether does bannana and guacamoli (dont ask)
However chicken, bananna and mango chutney sandwiches are the best thing in the world. Infact mango chutney and anything is pretty good!
I've been cooking for myself for about, umm 5 years now, so I can cook quite a lot of stuff. I got my pans from matalan as well! They have really cool mugs for £1 each, awesome!! I don't mind cooking I'm just worried that I'll get sick of doing it for every single meal and end up buying take aways and therefore wasting my money.
Reply 33
Yeah, its gonna be weird cooking and cleaning up after myself from now on! Its not that i mind cleaning up or cooking or anything, but the fact that i cant leave something out and think "ahh someone else will clear it up" worries me a little!! lol

I have a wok though!! Its a mini wok, very cool! chicken stir fry is by far my fave meal ever, so i shall survive on that. (not that ill be able to afford it!! lol)
Reply 34
hannah_c
I'm a terrible cook, all my food is gonna end up burnt, or the opposite and I'll end up with food poisening!!! Uh oh!

the main thing is TRY TO STAY HEALTHY!!! avoid the fresher's 15 (lbs). i used to eat junk- choc bars, pasties,etc as it was cheap and quick.

cheap healthy easy cook dishes are:

beans on toast (high fibre, good protein, low GI, 8p a tin at tescos)
chicken salad (throw it all in a bowl)
cheese salad

also do not underestimate the value of sandwiches - they CAN be healthy and you could live off them. use brown bread, and fillings like chicken/tuna/cheese/salads.

also buy fruit and keep it in the fridge so you van snack if hungry
im planning on buying loads of fruit and keeping it in a fruit bowl in my room, and then just lots of sandwich stuff and fresh fish, chicken and salad. that and some pasta stuff i reckon should serve me fine for a while
Reply 36
whenever i buy fruit it goes mouldy... im not very good at being healthy.
Reply 37
Fruit bowl in your room sounds like a good idea. i may also do that! although it wuold probs go all manky by the time i get round to actually eating it!
Whats the deal with rubbish anyway? is there like a big skip type thing that u just dump your rubbish bags in every so often??
Reply 38
bin in your room/kitchen. when full it gets taken to the front door of the block, where there is a bigger wheelie bin. this then gets picked up by the bin men.
i eat tonnes of fruit, my worry was that i wouldnt be able to find a big enough fruit bowl lol. maybe im just wierd... well i love sprouts so i guess that would class me as wierd. im kinda hoping that there is somewhere to put rubbish on the first day cause im gonna have lots of it, unless i just chuck all my stuff on my bed when i get there and shuv all the rubbish back into my mums car lol

Latest