The Student Room Group

Failing second year at university

I failed my second year at uni.

Course business management and marketing

UNI have failed me and terminated my studies

Currently put in request for reconsideration

Reasons for failing, failed exams, excuses chosen wrong second year modules.

keeping my options open by applying for transfer to another course.

If succesfful i will be starting from year 1 again...not a problem.

issues are as follows for a transfer to occur i still need to be a student therefor need to get accepted to re-take my failed second year. (ridicolous)

if i cannot do this i have to (re-apply)

how do i re-apply?? through ucas clearing??

I do not wish to change university, just want to either be allowed to re-take second year again with differant modules. or start from year one on differant course without having to take a year out.

can anyone offer any help? or similar story's?

Uni arent much help even though the letter they sent informing me of thier decision stated that they would help in my future applications.

however i feel as though i am being treated as though a student that has not recieved the required gardes to get into university. i got the grades to get in, passed 1st year so why are they now making things difficault for me|????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Step 1: Improve your standard of English.

Did you have extenuating circumstances this year? If not and you didn't pass 2nd year, you're not going to pass third year either.
I also fail to see why doing a different course will make a difference?
I'm not sure if this is of any help but my brother completely failed in his second year. He was then kicked out of uni. He decided to go back to uni to have a chat. He had a discussion with a lot of people (not sure, it's a bit different in uni) but they were his lecturers, tutors, and the head I think? He was able to persuade them and got back in.

So don't give up is what I'm saying.
Reply 3
Cheers superman, I am trying anything and everything possible to get it sorted, i suppose persitant badgering may eventually pay off lol.

blueflare, wtf? this is a forum not a formal appeal or letter. im typing everything in a rush so hush up. No I have no circumstances under the university handbook guide, which btw can be fully manipulated in advance by any student. i failed my second year becuase i did not attend much, put little effort in all because i was unhappy with what i was studying in the second year. third year modules look awesome. Just because somone cannot provide evidence from a proffessional does not mean that there are no extenuating circumstances.

Attending university is not like school, we pay and choose for the course we study to obtain degree's that suit us. a degree should not suit a person by name but every aspect acage,mically should be enjoyable. it is not my fault that the university failed to provide a series of acceptable modules. ( which lets face it is not influenced by students but by costs and avialable teaching staff).

and in regards to changing course you dont apply to university with one course in mind, i more than capable of studying more than one course as everyone is. And have had an interest in this course since before even starting college.
Reply 4
I was in a simular position last year, but for slightly different reasons. If you have any personal or medical circumstances that have prevented you from achieving your best, it is important that you inform the department at the earliest opportunity. This will allow them to consider a case for retrospective mitigation.

You will still be able to use the credits from your first year to transfer to a different course if you wish. All that is required is for the new department to agree to your request. If you have the required A-levels and good marks in your first year, this should not be a problem.

Dont give up. You just need to consider your options carefully and seek advice about the next step. If you have good marks in some aspects of your course (such as essays) but performed badly in exams, for instance, this could indicate an ongoing problem for which you will need additional support. If you have a disability, be sure that your needs have been assessed correctly.

Hope this helps
Reply 5
cheers blue, i did get a 1st in the module i didnt fail. and yeah after recieving my exam results i was very shocked for 3 of them and obviously there is an issue with exams which in future i would seek additional help to get to the route of that problem. i am not able and fully understand that my credits are not transferable to the course i want to be on. i suppose consulting people on here is just to see if anyone has gone through similar circumstances and what happened in the end. the worst part is that my current programme leader has just gone on holiday for 2 weeks and i have to wait 25 days for a reply from the board of examiners. i feel writing emails and letters to them and talking to them on the phone is not helping me at all. talking to them or being allowed an interview would be great as i can explain to them in person.

has anyone disccussed similar circumstances with programme leaders etc in personn and managed to get them to change thier stance?
Reply 6
You don't have mitigating circumstances. You just have a really bad grasp of the English language.
Reply 7
This is a forum, not a dictionary. I am not here to show off my english skills or recieve irrelevant replies. If you have not had a similar problem then why are you viewing and commeting on these forums?
Reply 8
N0215900
blueflare, wtf? this is a forum not a formal appeal or letter. im typing everything in a rush so hush up. No I have no circumstances under the university handbook guide, which btw can be fully manipulated in advance by any student. i failed my second year becuase i did not attend much, put little effort in all because i was unhappy with what i was studying in the second year. third year modules look awesome. Just because somone cannot provide evidence from a proffessional does not mean that there are no extenuating circumstances.

Attending university is not like school, we pay and choose for the course we study to obtain degree's that suit us. a degree should not suit a person by name but every aspect acage,mically should be enjoyable. it is not my fault that the university failed to provide a series of acceptable modules. ( which lets face it is not influenced by students but by costs and avialable teaching staff).

and in regards to changing course you dont apply to university with one course in mind, i more than capable of studying more than one course as everyone is. And have had an interest in this course since before even starting college.

It is your own fault that you didn't pass.
You should have researched your course properly before University if you are this fussy.
Even so, everyone has to do some things they don't like that much. That's life. you're not going to get anywhere in life if you don't put any effort into things just because you don't happen to like them.

I know you think I am being harsh but, frankly, you need someone to be harsh. You need to realise that it's your fault and your fault alone. If you don't and then start over you are only going to make the same mistakes again. The world does not owe you.

Being on a forum is no excuse for English that poor. If you didn't have to change gear for essays and exams you would get better marks for your standard of English. Getting yourself in bad habits brings your "formal" standard down too. That is why I said what I said.
Your entitlement to funding is length of course plus 1 year minus years already had.
If you start again you will have to fund your first year yourself, you will not get any funding from student finance.
You have no mitigating circumstances. You merely had a tantrum that the courses weren't to your liking. I stuck out an entire subject for 2 years then spent a year in a country I hated and I didn't fail a single module. It is your fault, accept that, apologise to tutors for it and be nice about it rather than informing them it wasn't your fault, and they may let you back in. Good luck with it anyway, it sucks to be doing stuff you don't like.
You failed, stop trying to blame the uni. Is that how you're going to go through life saying 'well I didn't enjoy that, and it's X fault and not mine' :lol:. I doubt the uni will let you retake because you obviously don't have what it takes. reapply for somewhere else, fail there, so we can laugh and give you more advice.
I feel for you
Reply 13
I passed all non-examination based assessments except of which for two pieces of work for the same module I recived no score. I have contcated the University about this stating that these pieces were handed in as I have a copy of each of thier recipts.

I have failed in my examinations. This is not because I did not revise but for some other underlying reason. And would require me to address this matter/ seek guidence and help.
Reply 14
N0215900
I passed all non-examination based assessments except of which for two pieces of work for the same module I recived no score. I have contcated the University about this stating that these pieces were handed in as I have a copy of each of thier recipts.

I have failed in my examinations. This is not because I did not revise but for some other underlying reason. And would require me to address this matter/ seek guidence and help.

What was the 'underlying reason'?
N0215900

But you said ' i failed my second year becuase i did not attend much, put little effort in all because i was unhappy with what i was studying in the second year.' what else was your reason for failing?

And the whole point is you research the course before you apply so they give info on different year modules so you know what youre getting into, you cant just choose to give up on them and expect to carry on with your course because you didnt like what you had to do. Youre paying for the course they advertised and devised, thats it, its on you to choose a University and Course out of hundreds and then if you want the degree put enough effort it in for that result.

I hope you do have other circumstances with evidence otherwise the university has no reason to grant you a second attempt.
This may be a forum not a dictionary but your grasp of basic English is pretty shocking for a university student. You've also exhibited real immaturity in deciding that you couldn't be bothered studying and blaming the university for the module choice.

"Attending university is not like school, we pay and choose for the course we study to obtain degree's that suit us. a degree should not suit a person by name but every aspect acage,mically should be enjoyable. it is not my fault that the university failed to provide a series of acceptable modules"

Grow up - universities aren't there to provide you with a degree just because you've paid and surprisingly enough, lots of things in life aren't enjoyable. You won't be successful in the business world if you have that attitude to both work and English!
Reply 17
You make me laugh. What is it you do then? Note I only just failed even though I am yet to recieve a mark for two pieces of work and failed all my examinations. You can honestly say you have never personally f***** things up and needed a second chance?
N0215900
You make me laugh. What is it you do then? Note I only just failed even though I am yet to recieve a mark for two pieces of work and failed all my examinations. You can honestly say you have never personally f***** things up and needed a second chance?

But that poster was referring to your attitude and sense of self-entitlement when it came to the degree.

It was blaming the University for their modules when you failed them. Now unfortunately (and according to the Student handbook) youll probably have to leave and reapply for another course at a University and of course bear the financial expense.
Reply 19
Stop wasting our, the tax payers, money! Get an apprenticeship! You can't even communicate with adequate English, please forget about academia.

Latest

Trending

Trending