The Student Room Group

Spring Weeks 2011 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi,
I'm a second year student doing a Master's Degree in Physics, looking to apply to do a Spring week Internship next Spring. I just wondered if anyone knows when the application process opens? Or a site that tells you when various banks start taking applications for this programme?
Reply 41
Probably this thread will be a useful resource for opening times :p:

BarCap is open :smile:
Reply 42
TheTallOne
Probably this thread will be a useful resource for opening times :p:

BarCap is open :smile:

Hopefully the BarCap tests aren't still messed up for you lot...
Reply 43
SW recruitment isn't done on a rolling basis, with the possible exception of RBS, so I wouldn't bother sending in an app now. Go to Uni, have fun, and get involved in a few societies.

Go to recruitment fairs/careers presentations and try to learn a bit about different banks, and then you can begin the process. Absolutely no need right now.
Reply 44
Elipz
SW recruitment isn't done on a rolling basis, with the possible exception of RBS, so I wouldn't bother sending in an app now. Go to Uni, have fun, and get involved in a few societies.

Go to recruitment fairs/careers presentations and try to learn a bit about different banks, and then you can begin the process. Absolutely no need right now.

:ditto:
Reply 45
What's the application process of barcap like?
What kind of test? What data do you have to submit?
WokSz
Here I was thinking that second years on a four year course apply for Spring Weeks. :rolleyes:

Sooo...Look at my profile (pretty please)...as you can see 4 year course cos its Scotland. Any point in me applying for any insight weeks during 1st year?
Reply 47
Milch
:ditto:

is it not?
I thought it was on a rolling basis. Maybe because I was reading the other thread for the internships.
But on the websites its written apply asap.
Reply 48
kukuruku
is it not?
I thought it was on a rolling basis. Maybe because I was reading the other thread for the internships.
But on the websites its written apply asap.

I'm not sure which ones are rolling and which ones are not. (I know people last year who applied on the deadline and got a spring week though for some banks.) Anyway what I was agreeing with is that it is worth waiting until you are at university because attending talks/competitions and joining societies will make your applications a lot better.
Reply 49
xRoseberryx
Sooo...Look at my profile (pretty please)...as you can see 4 year course cos its Scotland. Any point in me applying for any insight weeks during 1st year?

No, wait until next year. Just get loads of good stuff on your CV this year so that when you apply next year you will have a strong application.
Reply 50
In a cover letter, what kinda things do they expect? I know they EXPECT YOU, but surely there's some sort of format? Help?
Reply 51
Moghul
In a cover letter, what kinda things do they expect? I know they EXPECT YOU, but surely there's some sort of format? Help?

3 main sections:
Why Bank X?
Why you (are good enough)?
Why Division Y/ Why Spring week?

^decide how you want to order the above.
Reply 52
Milch
No, wait until next year. Just get loads of good stuff on your CV this year so that when you apply next year you will have a strong application.

What kinds of things would you suggest?
Reply 54
xRoseberryx
What kinds of things would you suggest?

Join societies/sports clubs (try and get exec positions if possible)
Attend any presentations/networking events held by banks on campus
Do any competitions/trading games etc.
Reply 55

But you're still graduating in 2012 aren't you? If so you should be applying for summer internships.
Reply 56
Milch
But you're still graduating in 2012 aren't you? If so you should be applying for summer internships.

Hopefully, yes.

But I can say them that because of the personal issues I had to face during my first year, I still have to take 5 out of 6 exams of the first year, hence even if the graduation is scheduled for 2012, it will delay to 2013.

Or I can simply tell them that since I'm an italian student and here activities such insight days, spring weeks etc. are not available and students do not even know of their existence, I discovered them by personal research while deepening my kwnoledge of the financial industry during the 1st year of uni but it was to late to apply, hence I apply during my 2nd year. This shows curiosity, determination, thinking out of the box. Plus I'm italian so it should be a good thing for them selecting students from different countries in order to respect the so frequently mentioned diversity principle.
Putting these assets on the table should overcome the rigid requirement of "1st year of 3y degree or 2nd year of 4y degree".
In everything there are always exceptions.

After all, I think trying is worth the effort anyway.
Reply 57
So which year are you actually graduating in?

And a word of advice, don't apply to BarCap, I don't think you would get on too well with their verbal test :teehee:
giovanta
Hopefully, yes.

But I can say them that because of the personal issues I had to face during my first year, I still have to take 5 out of 6 exams of the first year, hence even if the graduation is scheduled for 2012, it will delay to 2013.

Or I can simply tell them that since I'm an italian student and here activities such insight days, spring weeks etc. are not available and students do not even know of their existence, I discovered them by personal research while deepening my kwnoledge of the financial industry during the 1st year of uni but it was to late to apply, hence I apply during my 2nd year. This shows curiosity, determination, thinking out of the box. Plus I'm italian so it should be a good thing for them selecting students from different countries in order to respect the so frequently mentioned diversity principle.
Putting these assets on the table should overcome the rigid requirement of "1st year of 3y degree or 2nd year of 4y degree".
In everything there are always exceptions.

After all, I think trying is worth the effort anyway.

I think the whole point of this requirement is to set up a nice little progression: spring weeks -> summer internships -> job. I'm fairly sure that there aren't any exceptions with this one - they have enough people applying for them without having to spend time making exceptions.

If you're graduating in 2012, why can't you just apply for summer internships?
Reply 59
Hedgeman49
If you're graduating in 2012, why can't you just apply for summer internships?

I still have a poor CV to compete in the summer internship challenge.
Basically, it's just high school, 1 year of uni and an extra program in which we did business cases discussions and such things..

I was thinking to apply for summer internship the next year, for summer 2012, when I'll have done (hopefully) more things and know more about the industry.
I know that it will not be my penultimate year of uni, since in Italy master programs last 2 years, but I know people who managed to get an offer at that stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending