The Student Room Group

I've only got 3 AS levels at grades BCC and i wanna know if i can still go to uni

i want to apply to do politics and sociology at birmingham, leeds, sussex, sheffield and nottingham which are all really good universities, obviously.
in year 12 i took english lit, history, politics and psychology but due to really bad home problems in the exam period i started crying etc during my history exam and walked out, so they said they'd take me out of the exam and that is should concentrate on my other 3 subjects. i tried to do this but my results were bcc - not particularly good.
i'm now going back into year 13 after a year's 'break' to continue english lit, politics and psychology and am going to retake the as's in january and take the a2s in may as normal..however are my original as grades gonna make the universities look at my application and be like..no?
for gcse i got 1 A* 8 As and 3 Bs if that makes any difference.
Do you have any evidence? If your tutor can mention in your reference that you had home problems then it would be helpful. Your GCSE grades are good though, and tbh your AS results bear little relation to what your final grades will be. Don't worry, chin up x
Reply 2
You don't need to put your AS grades on the UCAS form so that will help. Universities look more at your predicted A level grades, so you will have to talk to your teachers and get some higher predicted grades plus make sure your personal statement is really good. Whilst you can choose those universities, you need to make sure you have a couple of choices with lower requirements so that if you don't get the high grades required you can still go to your insurance choice.
notanumber
You don't need to put your AS grades on the UCAS form so that will help.

Since when? :s-smilie:

OP: I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you have a strong personal statement then you will get offers, just make sure you try as hard as you can to achieve the minimum offer they ask for.
chloeee!
i want to apply to do politics and sociology at birmingham, leeds, sussex, sheffield and nottingham which are all really good universities, obviously.
in year 12 i took english lit, history, politics and psychology but due to really bad home problems in the exam period i started crying etc during my history exam and walked out, so they said they'd take me out of the exam and that is should concentrate on my other 3 subjects. i tried to do this but my results were bcc - not particularly good.
i'm now going back into year 13 after a year's 'break' to continue english lit, politics and psychology and am going to retake the as's in january and take the a2s in may as normal..however are my original as grades gonna make the universities look at my application and be like..no?
for gcse i got 1 A* 8 As and 3 Bs if that makes any difference.

I am not sure that someone with BCC at AS-Level is academically fit to attend university.

You'd be looking at a 2.2 or below at a poor university with your ability level, a total waste of your time and your parents/government's money.
Reply 5
The-Real-One
I am not sure that someone with BCC at AS-Level is academically fit to attend university.

You'd be looking at a 2.2 or below at a poor university with your ability level, a total waste of your time and your parents/government's money.

er no. my head of year told me i'm one of the most intelligent people in my year, and my school's one of the best in london. the reason i got so low was because i was having a completely ****** time at home, barely ever went in and didn't revise, but i don't doubt my intelligence so don't try and get rude.
Worse comes to worse take a gap year after your a2's :smile:
Reply 7
The-Real-One

May i ask why you are of this opinion? You sound like an academic snob my friend, it's wrong to assume that if someone with BCC (not that bad tbh, it's just people that share their info on this site tend to be high achievers) wouldn't be able to achieve a first class degree.

Sounds like you're pretty narrow minded. Also, as the OP said, she had family problems and will be retaking in January. My BCC went to ABB in jan retakes, if someone is willing to put the effort in they can improve. Try taking what the OP said into account instead of looking down your nose at her.

Latest

Trending

Trending