The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hard to find Westerners that can speak any sort of Chinese and cook Chinese food.
i imagine very few non-asians apply.

the chefs may well only speak chinese/japenese/other oriental language. so would be hard for a non-speaker to get a job as a waiter. they may even have that in the job requirements. then they wouldn't be discriminating on race, just spoken languages.

and religious charities freely discriminate all the time. cant remember the loophole they use though
It's a loophole that you can hire anyone you want if it contibutes to the authenticity of the place.
Alot of the staff are also often family members hence the job isnt advertised as such!
Reply 5
brokenangel
Alot of the staff are also often family members hence the job isnt advertised as such!

This.... and the other ensible posts about the fact that there are probably very few non-chinese/asian applicants for any posts that are advertised, and even when there are some, I'd imagine that they are less suitable for the role.
It is usually relatives that are hired, the same in West Asian shops as I guess it's easier. It's someone you can trust being a family member and they probably already have the right skills to cook Chinese food.

I did see a Caucasian man in a chinese grocery/food shop which I found very strange.
Natha_Lite
It's a loophole that you can hire anyone you want if it contibutes to the authenticity of the place.

Ahh! This is the answer I was looking for! :yep:

Thank you :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 8
brokenangel

Yeah, it's like this around where I live. There's one family which runs about 4 Indian restaurants in the area, and the family members switch between the restaurants depending on where they're needed.

They do sometimes employ other people, but to be honest the people they end up with just don't seem to be up to the same standard as those in the family. Service is slower, they're not as knowledgeable about the food and they just don't seem to put much effort into their work. Perhaps because the family members actually have something at stake they work to a higher standard, while the normal staff members just see it as a job.

I know if I owned a shop/retaurant that I'd rather have people working there who has a very real understanding of how the business felt to me, and they probably would be family members who would be in that situation.
Because there's an exception written into the law for things like ethnic restaurants.
Thanks everyone :smile:

I was aware of the whole family member/possible language barrier/ non-asians don't really apply situation, but I was curious as to what specific loopholes they could have used.
With the recession people have become less picky over what jobs they apply for, but Asian restaurants remain, well, Asian :ninja: :lol:

And i'm pretty sure that if a non-Asian applied to work in an Asian restaurant even *if* they could speak the foreign language fluently and could cook up a mean curry/stir fry or whatever, they wouldn't get the job over the other Asian's that applied. :ninja:
Umbrella.Girl

Anytime, I do my best to help. :smile:
Milky Milk
I did see a Caucasian man in a chinese grocery/food shop which I found very strange.

Step family possibly im white but work for my family (chinese) quite often and get weired looks eventho i can speak the language and cook the food!
Just like an Italian restaurant having only Italians and with the few Greek restaurants ive seen.
Umbrella.Girl

Are you sure thats a legal answer?

Anyhow the Act only applies to advertised jobs I would have thought. I guess most of these are not.
Jackthevillain
Just like an Italian restaurant having only Italians and with the few Greek restaurants ive seen.

Ahh yes, :yep:

But I haven't really been inside of an Italian/Greek restaurant, so I couldn't really say :ninja: :mmm:
Reply 16
put simply, because blacks/caucasians/indians etc. don't apply/want to work in Asian restaurants. So no one is ever going to take them the court
cause they are nickin british jobs !!!
but no srsly, the replies above is what i was going to say
Family members and relatives pretty much.
Umbrella.Girl
Every time I go into an Asian restaurant, I've noticed that all of it's workers are of Asian decent. I was wondering how they manage to get away with this because I was always under the impression that it was illegal to employ somebody on the grounds of race (unless it's in acting or something). :lolwut:

:confused:

which country are you from. But you have a point, also I dont think any average italian guy can cook better than asians.

Latest

Trending

Trending