The Student Room Group

I couldn't give less of a **** about league tables or uni rep

Is this just me?

I'm going to Liverpool John Moores, which, for all you cynical league-table followers, isn't the greatest of universities. But I couldnt care less, if I'm brutally honest.

I'd much rather go to a worse uni have a a better social life, because the people who I'm going to be going to uni with, will have, on the whole, experienced more, partied more, and be more social, but still be interested in getting an education and a degree. (assumption based upon their not-so-great A Level results). Also, because of the nature of the course that I'm studying, the universities reputation really doesn't particularly bother me either. I'm studying International Journalism, which is aimed to make me employable in an international environment, and for this line of work, its more about your** individual written abilities and passed experience. I want to travel and write in not-so-fortunate countries, where the reputation of a university doesn't matter at all.

I see no benefit to working my arse off at A-Level to go to a redbrick university to work my arse off and not enjoy my time being young to get a degree that isn't guarnteed an outcome at the end in the form of a job, especially in this economic climate.

EDIT: I'm also extremely confident in my abilities when it comes to apply for jobs and I'm really good in interview. I know that I could probably beat the majority of graduate job applicants in interview stage because of my mix of being a well-rounded social person, and the degree helps too.

Is there anyone else out there who couldnt give less of a **** about league-tables or university reputation?

Scroll to see replies

Good for you. I don't see why you make the claim that you'll be with people who have "on the whole, experienced more, partied more, and are more social". If poor A-level grades are an indicator of that - well I think that's weird logic.
Reply 2
good for you dude :top:

but i do give a ****... then again, thats just me :smile:
Reply 3
Cool
Ignorance and arrogance always leads to trouble.
Good for you. There are really talented people in low ranking universities. Personally I care about the reputation as I feel the quality and level of education you get is higher and that you will be stretched more.
Reply 6
so anyone who goes to a decent university is after nothing but money and is doomed to have a **** social life? you sound like a ****
This is what generally people that go to universities in the lower league tables tell themselves. They make this assumption that people that went to better universities worked their ass off and had a nerd-esque and have no social life what so ever. Also, about the economic climate statement, surely this would be worse for you? I mean they would have a MUCH better chance at getting a good job. Also, the thing about your edit is that what interviews are you going to get in comparison to people who went to better universities (in terms of the company that calls you in for interview)? Be happy but don’t put down other people because they care about their education (you give the impression you would rather enjoy 5 years of your life [A levels + Uni] than a whole life time).
Reply 8
Good for you. I mean, you're wrong, but still.
Reply 9
I'm not that bothered about where my uni is in the league table, but that doesn't mean people in higher uni's have ******* social life lol.
Umm.... the better the reputation of your university (but not necessarily league table position), the better your chances of getting a graduate job (there will be people much better at interview than you at better universities - have fun competing with them). Remember, you are spending a lot of money on your university education so you would want to get the best out of it.

Also, you will have an equal social life at pretty much all universities (at all universities there will be people who want to do lots of studying and people who will do none and just party every night).

Learning to 'work your arse off' is an important skill, and if maintain an extremely negative attitude about hard work then, unless you are very lucky, you will go nowhere in life.

So have fun with that, you idiot.

A.galloway
Ignorance and arrogance always leads to trouble.

Agreed.
Depends largely on the profession you want to follow.

Try getting a job in IB with a 2:1 in Economics from Bangor. It won't happen. A 2:1 in Econ from Warwick/UCL/Oxford though? It'll give you a chance.
That's good that you feel that away, I personally don't.

Personally I think that it is important to look at the league tables and aim for a uni that isn't below 100 but whatever floats your boat. You'll get a different experience from LJM than you would UCL so it's what you personally want that's fine.
d0mz
Is this just me?

I'm going to Liverpool John Moores, which, for all you cynical league-table followers, isn't the greatest of universities. But I couldnt care less, if I'm brutally honest.

I'd much rather go to a worse uni have a a better social life, because the people who I'm going to be going to uni with, will have, on the whole, experienced more, partied more, and be more social, but still be interested in getting an education and a degree. (assumption based upon their not-so-great A Level results). Also, because of the nature of the course that I'm studying, the universities reputation really doesn't particularly bother me either. I'm studying International Journalism, which is aimed to make me employable in an international environment, and for this line of work, its more about you're individual written abilities and passed experience. I want to travel and write in not-so-fortunate countries, where the reputation of a university doesn't matter at all.

I see no benefit to working my arse off at A-Level to go to a redbrick university to work my arse off and not enjoy my time being young to get a degree that isn't guarnteed an outcome at the end in the form of a job, especially in this economic climate.

EDIT: I'm also extremely confident in my abilities when it comes to apply for jobs and I'm really good in interview. I know that I could probably beat the majority of graduate job applicants in interview stage because of my mix of being a well-rounded social person, and the degree helps too.

Is there anyone else out there who couldnt give less of a **** about league-tables or university reputation?

1. I go to a redbrick and I, and the rest of my friends also, have a great social life. We go out around 3-4 times a week to clubs and do things during the days and weekends. Plus during the summer, I went to Leeds festival with them.

2. I worked my "arse" off and got into a redbrick, having the time of my life, socially and otherwise, plus I am on course to graduate with a first, which will help me massively in the current climate.

3. I am also extremely confident in interviews and with a first in my degree from a reputable redbrick and also a masters which I plan to embark on, I know that I will have every chance in the job market.

So in short, yes I do care about league tables and no I'm not socially inept as a result.
I'll give you a job :sexface:
I don't care about university life, hence why I'm studying at the Open University instead. :awesome: Some people think I'm being ridiculous because of my grades but in the end it doesn't matter what others think as long as YOU are happy.
d0mz

:yep:

I'm going to apply for the University of Northampton :mmm:

Why?
Because I have a good job here, I have friends here, I know the place like the back of my hand and I have family here.

What would be the point in losing all of that just so I can say that I went to a university that the Times approved of? :holmes:
Reply 17
Colbert
I'll give you a job :sexface:

:coma:
Reply 18
My degree will be vocational so it's more about what you put in and what your attitude is like that matters when applying for jobs and the NHS will pay all my tuition fees anyway. :fluffy:
Reply 19
d0mz
its more about you're individual written abilities

:hmmm:

But I agree, people on TSR generally care far too much... probably more than employers themselves. Unless you get into a Top 10 uni, I doubt it really matters to the extent people talk about on here.

Latest

Trending

Trending